306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well. Its dead already!

Was adamant that the knock was from the rear top somewhere. Really sounded it but clearly not....

[attachment=14213]

[attachment=14214]

[attachment=14215]

[attachment=14216]

[attachment=14217]

Not to fussed about the damage. I can deal with that and I've caught it before any serious damage is caused but what worries me the most is what caused it in the first place.
I know it's a pain but I would check the rest as well
FFS Niall!

That damage is 100% lack of oil. The top image is severely overheated, the next one is just overheating a little so it gone shiny Big Grin They go shiny on the back as well cos they start jiggling about when they start sticking.

y u no oil pressure gauge?

Reminds me of my TUD5 Sad when it died
lol i knew it was lack of oil pressure but why it has happened i don't know Sad
(09-03-2014, 06:28 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]lol i knew it was lack of oil pressure but why it has happened i don't know Sad

Because there wasn't enough pressure to pressure the oil to places requiring pressured oil?

whistle
(09-03-2014, 06:32 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-03-2014, 06:28 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]lol i knew it was lack of oil pressure but why it has happened i don't know Sad

Because there wasn't enough pressure to pressure the oil to places requiring pressured oil?

whistle

Try saying that after a few beers....

Shit news Niall, dont lose hope, weird how thats happened. Also weird how it lasted so long with no oil :/
There was oil there. Thats the weird thing. When i took the bearing off, it was nicely lubed up (giggidy) so all i can think is something has gotten in there or there was a lack of pressure. Going to whip the pump off tomorrow and the other two caps and have a good look and see if there is anything wrong with the pump
Got a spare engine here mate if you need it.
Mint block / crank /pistons etc
Cheers Paul but i don't think i will need it. The two rods I've seen are fine, block is fine. May need a crank though!
Gutting dood. Feeling for you.
Let me know
Ahhh shit.

Sorry to see that mate. If you need a crank, I've got a spare here.
Thanks guys,
Jamma, ive sorted a crank but thanks for the offer. She will live again very soon!
Oh mate Sad
Glad to see you haven't giving up yet, I'd binned it by now lol

So was it starving the engine of oil when you got it mapped? Would need to do that again? Just out of curiosity how much boost was it running?
It was running 3psi with a chronic leak so should see 5ish once the leak is done.
I suspect it's happened because it wasn't bedded in properly and it was given hell on the dyno. Will find out tonight.
Surely that wouldnt cause damage like that? :/ If oil is being pumped everywhere flat out, i cant see that failing like it has Sad
nial check your mains are fitted right
if i remember mine would only fit one way round to let oil flow
block oilway/bearing hole/bearing grove/ main tranfer drilling to bigend
They are fitted correctly as I fitted them the wrong way round to start with. Will be taking the caps off later to check the condition of them
just a though, could it be the oil over heating? obiously as the oil gets warmer it loses its viscosity, and can cause burning of shells and picking up on the crank, just a thought
(10-03-2014, 06:29 PM)mattgreene Wrote: [ -> ]just a though, could it be the oil over heating? obiously as the oil gets warmer it loses its viscosity, and can cause burning of shells and picking up on the crank, just a thought

He had loose main bearing caps, reducing pressure to the rod ends. Just hasn't admitted it on his blog yet Tongue
(10-03-2014, 07:54 PM)Martin306 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2014, 06:29 PM)mattgreene Wrote: [ -> ]just a though, could it be the oil over heating? obiously as the oil gets warmer it loses its viscosity, and can cause burning of shells and picking up on the crank, just a thought

He had loose main bearing caps, reducing pressure to the rod ends. Just hasn't admitted it on his blog yet Tongue

You have a sixth sense or something? lol
He was talking about it in the chat earlier this afternoon
(10-03-2014, 07:55 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2014, 07:54 PM)Martin306 Wrote: [ -> ]

Seems that way! lol
Yeah pretty much what Martin said. The main bearing supplies oil to the big end bearing. In my case, one of the bolts wasn't torqued up properly meaning oil pressure wasn't building up in the main bearing journal and thus, not being moved on to the big end.
Couple that with heavily diluted oil with petrol from a massively over fuelling ecu map and getting the engine red hot on the dyno and here we are today!
(10-03-2014, 08:05 PM)306Dan Wrote: [ -> ]He was talking about it in the chat earlier this afternoon

totally ruined it man! Sad

(10-03-2014, 08:07 PM)Niall Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2014, 07:55 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-03-2014, 07:54 PM)Martin306 Wrote: [ -> ]He had loose main bearing caps, reducing pressure to the rod ends. Just hasn't admitted it on his blog yet Tongue

Seems that way! lol
Yeah pretty much what Martin said. The main bearing supplies oil to the big end bearing. In my case, one of the bolts wasn't torqued up properly meaning oil pressure wasn't building up in the main bearing journal and thus, not being moved on to the big end.
Couple that with heavily diluted oil with petrol from a massively over fuelling ecu map and getting the engine red hot on the dyno and here we are today!

I did wonder if petrol had diluted it a bit when I was reading about it being overly-rich before it was mapped Smile
As said on whatsapp buddy, I reckon after long deliberation, that's crap behind the bearing cap, you can see the hotspot localised at the top, that's started picking up and has finally started to wreck the shells...

Hence why the bearings look relatively OK in other places...

You know what to do... New crank and bearings and get the rod checked...
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but... You checked your Racoon filter?
(11-03-2014, 06:08 AM)Alee83 Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but... You checked your Racoon filter?

lol
I did tell him this when he was stripping the bottom end back, but the poor boy was in the midst of (a perfectly justified) sense of humour failure lol
So, been to the engine shop today to collect my bearings and have them inspect a few bits.
Crank - ok (rod journal 1 cleaned up fine)
Rods - ok
Little ends - ok
Main bearings - ok

After inspecting the failed bearing, they are adamant it's failed due to heat and lack of lubrication caused by oil full of petrol when the engine was at it's most vulnerable.
My fault really as I should of run it in on the standard ecu and loom so hey ho! Lesson learnt.