Piston anyone got any ideas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piston anyone got any ideas?
Anyone got any idea why or how this has happen on my pistons out my engine. It has happened on 3 out of the 4 pistons. It would seem like a valve has hit the piston but im not sure how its happened.

[Image: null_zpsed5773c5.jpg]

Anyone got any ideas? Also i guess i will need to change the pistons now?
Thanks given by:
Surely That's been made like that! Your valves would be seriously f*cked if they managed to make them indents
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
They may be meant to be like that but i duno.
Thanks given by:
looks like cambelt snapped at some point
Thanks given by:
Thats what i fort it could be. If it had though it would of been a while ago cuz ive had the car 3 years and my mate had it for 7 years before i had it and he has never had the head off.
Thanks given by:
That's odd!

Surely both valves would hit the piston if the belt snapped, or if someone timed it wrong though?
Thanks given by:
i timed the engine up before taking the head off and all timed up ok
Thanks given by:
DEFO valves hit piston...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
But, I was thinking if someone got it slightly wrong at a previous belt change, heard that it sounded bad and tapped like a '6, then re-timed it after...would that be the outcome? Does one valve come out further than the other?
Thanks given by:
That's a belt snap caused that... Ive ran an XUD 3 teeth out and its fine...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Dats craaaaaaazy!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(12-05-2013, 09:34 PM)Ruan Wrote: That's a belt snap caused that... Ive ran an XUD 3 teeth out and its fine...

Fair enough, was just curious. Big Grin

How come theres only one valve mark though? I've seem a couple of (assumed) cambelt failures without head at the scrappy and they had both valve marks.
Thanks given by:
I need to get some other pistons then?
Thanks given by:
Ouch, that's hit quite hard there!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
frosty maybe you need to check the rods too!

@tom go read up on your 4 stroke cycle, both valves are only open for a very short time
one or the other valve is open for a far longer duration
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2013, 05:29 AM)cully Wrote: frosty maybe you need to check the rods too!

@tom go read up on your 4 stroke cycle, both valves are only open for a very short time

He's putting hdi rods in that's why it's coming apart
Thanks given by:
So it looks like I will get some new pistons depending on price.

What would people recommend? Is there any uprated 1s?
Thanks given by:
I got a set of pistons and rods xud ones shells only done 5k along with rings in a spare block pm if interested
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ok mate going to look at some spare engines that I got.

Got a price for new pistons which is 91 + vat each piston

Pice for rings 80+ vat for the set
Thanks given by:
The rings and shells stand me at about 120+ but have a figuire in mind for complete set pal
[Image: J5hxCcC.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-05-2013, 05:29 AM)cully Wrote: @tom go read up on your 4 stroke cycle, both valves are only open for a very short time

I'm aware of that, but I thought when the belt broke, there would still be momentum so the other valve would hit as well rather than it just stopping dead?
Thanks given by:
Probably smashed the cam in two shortly after that happened!! Then of course the other definitely wouldnt have!!
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2013, 03:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: Probably smashed the cam in two shortly after that happened!! Then of course the other definitely wouldnt have!!
like one i bought with a f*cked engine, best snapped smashed the piston and cracked it with an indent like that and snapped the cam in 2
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
frosty ...puglove has a complete engine for sale cheap!
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2013, 03:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: Probably smashed the cam in two shortly after that happened!! Then of course the other definitely wouldnt have!!

(14-05-2013, 03:46 PM)Dicky Wrote:
like one i bought with a f*cked engine, best snapped smashed the piston and cracked it with an indent like that and snapped the cam in 2

Ah, I didn't think of that lol!
Thanks given by:
(14-05-2013, 04:17 PM)cully Wrote: frosty ...puglove has a complete engine for sale cheap!

I saw he did. I got some spare engines anyway but I am tempted bits it's hassle picking it up
Thanks given by:
Before i go spending money on getting new piston rings is there any uprated pistons out there people use that aren't mega money?
Thanks given by:
cast your own! bert did with his indian Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Piston Rings Hobo Ash 5 2,771 15-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Dave
  Max Piston Protrusion / Notches Cford 2 2,023 03-08-2017, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cford
  Piston Ring Modification JTaylor2005 10 3,118 08-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane