Piston Rings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piston Rings
Just wondered if people bothered renewing piston rings on XUDs when changing the rods? Havnt really looked into the price of them yet, just getting a list together of what il need. Or instead of replacing, do the old ones need re-gapping or left well alone? Couldn't find many threads relating to general renewal, so im assuming its not really necessary to start with Smile
1st project- Red Peugeot 306 DTurbo 1998
2nd project- Silver BMW E38 1999- Sold
Daily- Black Mitsubishi L200 Series 5

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/user/Hobo_Ash.html
Thanks given by:
(12-09-2017, 01:46 PM)Hobo Ash Wrote: Just wondered if people bothered renewing piston rings on XUDs when changing the rods? Havnt really looked into the price of them yet, just getting a list together of what il need. Or instead of replacing, do the old ones need re-gapping or left well alone? Couldn't find many threads relating to general renewal, so im assuming its not really necessary to start with Smile

A lot of people dont bother to be honest mate. Have a look at them and label each piston to the correct cylinder when removing, if the clyinder is lipped though youll probably find theyll need replacing and a light hone. All comes down to when you strip it in my experience. Obviously if youre gonna full hog with the build is it worth doing it be half??
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Ok cool, il have a good look when i get round to taking it apart. Depending how much cash i have next year might determine if they get changed, think im going to need a few bags and labels to keep the pistons and valves in order! Im assuming if a ring goes, it wont damage anything else? If i get smoke and a loss of power i can compression test it before i cause any damage?

Thanks given by:
If a ring goes will more than likly score the bore that if youre lucky you may hone but 9 times out of ten they need machince work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
oh ok, maybe I will replace them Smile will be nice to keep the maintenance costs down to a minimum once its finished!

quick edit- you heard much about Goetze piston rings? not got the money for them yet, but having a quick look they seem to be readily available Smile

Thanks given by:
If the engine is old / done alot of mines there will be lips on top of bore, and also rings will be weak. Hone and replace.

If the engine has been looked after/not huge lip (will alwats get some form of a lip, check its not mostly carbon), If engine is good condition I would reuse rings. As said take care when pushing rods/piston assembly out and always use ring compressor tight, and just light taps pushing pistons back in. The pistons should never be forced back in this breaks rings.

I have never replaced rings while rebuilding XUD's never seemed worth it when they are worthless anyway.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Max Piston Protrusion / Notches Cford 2 1,997 03-08-2017, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Cford
  Piston Ring Modification JTaylor2005 10 3,076 08-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  Piston Wear 306Dan 3 1,433 10-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Last Post: craig306