306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Piston anyone got any ideas?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone got any idea why or how this has happen on my pistons out my engine. It has happened on 3 out of the 4 pistons. It would seem like a valve has hit the piston but im not sure how its happened.

[Image: null_zpsed5773c5.jpg]

Anyone got any ideas? Also i guess i will need to change the pistons now?
Surely That's been made like that! Your valves would be seriously f*cked if they managed to make them indents
They may be meant to be like that but i duno.
looks like cambelt snapped at some point
Thats what i fort it could be. If it had though it would of been a while ago cuz ive had the car 3 years and my mate had it for 7 years before i had it and he has never had the head off.
That's odd!

Surely both valves would hit the piston if the belt snapped, or if someone timed it wrong though?
i timed the engine up before taking the head off and all timed up ok
DEFO valves hit piston...
But, I was thinking if someone got it slightly wrong at a previous belt change, heard that it sounded bad and tapped like a '6, then re-timed it after...would that be the outcome? Does one valve come out further than the other?
That's a belt snap caused that... Ive ran an XUD 3 teeth out and its fine...
Dats craaaaaaazy!
(12-05-2013, 09:34 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]That's a belt snap caused that... Ive ran an XUD 3 teeth out and its fine...

Fair enough, was just curious. Big Grin

How come theres only one valve mark though? I've seem a couple of (assumed) cambelt failures without head at the scrappy and they had both valve marks.
I need to get some other pistons then?
Ouch, that's hit quite hard there!
frosty maybe you need to check the rods too!

@tom go read up on your 4 stroke cycle, both valves are only open for a very short time
one or the other valve is open for a far longer duration
(13-05-2013, 05:29 AM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]frosty maybe you need to check the rods too!

@tom go read up on your 4 stroke cycle, both valves are only open for a very short time

He's putting hdi rods in that's why it's coming apart
So it looks like I will get some new pistons depending on price.

What would people recommend? Is there any uprated 1s?
I got a set of pistons and rods xud ones shells only done 5k along with rings in a spare block pm if interested
Ok mate going to look at some spare engines that I got.

Got a price for new pistons which is 91 + vat each piston

Pice for rings 80+ vat for the set
The rings and shells stand me at about 120+ but have a figuire in mind for complete set pal
(13-05-2013, 05:29 AM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]@tom go read up on your 4 stroke cycle, both valves are only open for a very short time

I'm aware of that, but I thought when the belt broke, there would still be momentum so the other valve would hit as well rather than it just stopping dead?
Probably smashed the cam in two shortly after that happened!! Then of course the other definitely wouldnt have!!
(14-05-2013, 03:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Probably smashed the cam in two shortly after that happened!! Then of course the other definitely wouldnt have!!
like one i bought with a f*cked engine, best snapped smashed the piston and cracked it with an indent like that and snapped the cam in 2
frosty ...puglove has a complete engine for sale cheap!
(14-05-2013, 03:43 PM)Ruan Wrote: [ -> ]Probably smashed the cam in two shortly after that happened!! Then of course the other definitely wouldnt have!!

(14-05-2013, 03:46 PM)Dicky Wrote: [ -> ]
like one i bought with a f*cked engine, best snapped smashed the piston and cracked it with an indent like that and snapped the cam in 2

Ah, I didn't think of that lol!
(14-05-2013, 04:17 PM)cully Wrote: [ -> ]frosty ...puglove has a complete engine for sale cheap!

I saw he did. I got some spare engines anyway but I am tempted bits it's hassle picking it up
Before i go spending money on getting new piston rings is there any uprated pistons out there people use that aren't mega money?
cast your own! bert did with his indian Smile