0-60?? 459ft - 60mph

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
0-60?? 459ft - 60mph
From a set of lights, minor rolling i got from the lights to a the next set of speed limit signs and google maps says that it is 459ft. whats my 0-60 on this??

what math is involved so i would know for future reference as a similar test?
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
umm did you time it and did you get to 60 without falling off the island?
Thanks given by:
cully Wrote:umm did you time it and did you get to 60 without falling off the island?

lol wow cully, i would expect it from the rest of this rabble, but you... not from you. You've dissapointed my expectations.

Id seen you posted and thought "ah fantastic a reliable member with an answer.."

but no... :naughty:
Thanks given by:
to do a 0-60 you need to time yourself from 0-60
the distance is not important

you only need distance and time to work out speed

speed= distance/time
distance= speed x time
Time= distance/speed
Thanks given by:
there must be a way of working this out, as distance is relative to speed?

i travelled X distance and hit this speed...

hmmm google is my best bet for math equations im thinking?
Thanks given by:
so ok
1ft=0.0001893939 miles
so
0.0001893939 x 459
=0.0869318001
so
0.0869318001 x 60
=5.2159 seconds
Thanks given by:
Not really, acceleration isn't linear, so your average speed could be pretty varied...you're roughly looking at somewhere between 8 and 9 seconds but tbh it could be outside those.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
There's no way to calculate it, as you can't calculate your acceleration (well you can, but its beyond any of us)

Oh and what Phil said...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Going on a best guess from dturbo ratios, bit of gearchange time, etc, some quick calcs put a 'best guess' effort at about 8.7s.

But I'm not saying that's remotely accurate!
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
How did you get to 8.7s Smile
PH1 306 XUD - 11mm VE, Big 'bine, TMIC = Plenty of coal, abuse, heatsoak and a power band of 4.3k - 6k = One shagged car.
[Image: sig2.png]
Thanks given by:
Vehicle acceleration is much faster at lower speeds, probably double at the start of the run compared to the end - so you could approximate the car being over 40mph for half the distance, split it into a couple of sections as a best guess effort given the dturbo gear ratios for acceleration bands, average speed of those combined gives you a rough average speed over the distance, add in a little time per gearchange - 300/400ms is about average for most people pressing on - and that gives you a little more accurate average speed of around 35-36mph over the distance
Convert the 459ft into miles, divide by the average speed, multiple by 360 to get it in seconds.

But it's still mainly guesswork.
Thanks given by:
oh, take into considertaion my flappy padel's - thats a gear change of 100ms

i joke, i appreciate the effort guys...
Thanks given by:
The problem is, the faster the car is, the slower it can theoretically do the time, because it's got so much more acceleration available to hit 60 toward the end.
Thanks given by:
i can understand where people are coming from, saying its nearly impossible, but if distance was travelled with an optimum speed reached, this wouldn't be the same for every car...

The time would differ purely because a distance would chage

SO if i hit 60mph in 400ft, my 0-60 inevitably would differ.

this is the rule thats spinning my head...
Thanks given by:
A car with a shorter first gear and longer second gear would be faster over the same distance even if took longer to reach 60mph...

You can make an approximation by guessing at the acceleration rates but that's about all.
Thanks given by:
No way of working it out from those 2 facts of 459ft and 60mph terminal. If we had a distance to 20mph and a distance to 40mph then maybe we could do better. Oh and i has a pic to find for you
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:A car with a shorter first gear and longer second gear would be faster over the same distance even if took longer to reach 60mph...

You can make an approximation by guessing at the acceleration rates but that's about all.

but what difference would it make, i got to that distance by 60mph,

to play devils'advocate - what if my 1st gear took 3seconds to reach optimum, then 2nd shot me the rest of the way to 60 through an amazing boost, and a strong gust of wind...

what im saying is, despite gear ratio and gear eccelreation, i still get to 60 in that distance? i dont need to know my optimum speed and torque amounts?
Thanks given by:
Yes, but you can cover that distance in quite a variable amount of time and still hit 60mph depending on how the car accelerates...
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:Yes, but you can cover that distance in quite a variable amount of time and still hit 60mph depending on how the car accelerates...

hm i think i see what you mean now... time can differ over distance, the first 200ft i could crawl and then hit 60mph, for the last 250...

i think i understand this now..
Thanks given by:
Because to work out speed distance or time we use the below sums below

speed= distance/time
distance= speed x time
Time= distance/speed

But acceleration is different. If you think of speed being measured in meters per second (m/s) then acceleration is measured in meters per second per second or m/s/s

Or for a bit easier to understand think mph for speed and mphph for acceleration

I would explain this better but Poodle has all my engineering textbooks so I cant look it up.
Thanks given by:
Oh and if it helps pics of my scanguage, the first is stage 1, the second is stage 2.

BIM that the HDi has different power curves and gear ratios among other things

[Image: ScanguageIIfirstproper0-60-1.jpg]
[Image: ScanguageIIStage20-60.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ah ok, i see where your coming from now - cheers for the help
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone from berwick? Flashed at 50mph in a 60mph zone Daniel306 27 3,848 17-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Daniel306