Early life crisis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early life crisis
Gah, i'm having a mid life crisis but i'm only 25 so it's more of a... early-ish life crisis?

I have the itch for a mk1 mx5, dropped on its arse with 10" wide minimags and a hard top. And 1.6 mk1's seem to go for relative buttons these days.

Question is.. do I go for it or is it just a silly dream? The money i'd be spending would tidy up the estate no end, bigger turbo, pump mods, that kind of stuff. Plus the extra cost for insurance each month, after i've just moved house and all.

FML. Can't sell the estate as I need the extra seats for the wee man to travel with us, but I miss having something to hoon about in.

Decisions decisions...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I bought my Saab at 29! My mates call it my "midlife crisis mobile"

Do it, its either now, or in 15-20 years time when the little one(s) have grown up.

Just think about it, when will you look silliest in a mx5, now or in 20 years time?

Besides, why sell it? Slap it in a garage, tax and insure it for 4-8 weeks of the year and enjoy some summer fun every year!
Thanks given by:
To add to that, buy in winter when no one wants a 2seater convertible!

I say go for it, but do what Niall says, keep it off the road for winter etc. Also I'm pretty sure you can get them on classic insurance now just to make it more financially attractive again haha!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2012, 09:23 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: To add to that, buy in winter when no one wants a 2seater convertible!

I say go for it, but do what Niall says, keep it off the road for winter etc. Also I'm pretty sure you can get them on classic insurance now just to make it more financially attractive again haha!

I'm agreeing with the others... summer toy ftw!

Also.. ed, niall? It was pikey that commented lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2012, 09:25 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(12-08-2012, 09:23 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: To add to that, buy in winter when no one wants a 2seater convertible!

Gah i just read Saab and assumed it was Niall twittering on about his old one again haha!
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2012, 09:27 AM)Ed Doe Wrote:
(12-08-2012, 09:25 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:

Gah i just read Saab and assumed it was Niall twittering on about his old one again haha!

I enjoy twittering on about my current one, easy to get us mixed up I suppose Rofl
Thanks given by:
Why buy one of the best handling road cars and then tart it up to the point where it can't be driven?

I understand the urge, I scratched that itch a year ago but don't ruin a perfectly good car just to attract attention, if you want to do that buy a Corsa, since they're shit to start with and no great loss!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I keep thinking about an MX5 or a mk1 MR2, seeing as I turned 25 yesterday I can get classic insurance now... Big Grin
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2012, 11:26 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Why buy one of the best handling road cars and then tart it up to the point where it can't be driven?

I understand the urge, I scratched that itch a year ago but don't ruin a perfectly good car just to attract attention, if you want to do that buy a Corsa, since they're shit to start with and no great loss!

Because racecar?

Bit rich coming from the man that went and bought a diesel Focus "sport".. Wink

Anyway it's not about handling. With the bits from the GTI and the stuff I bought for the estate I could have had one of the best handling, GTI6 engined estates ever. I chose not to though because my priorities lie elsewhere. Are you telling me though that an MX5 with a couple of degrees of camber and stiffer suspension will handle WORSE than a standard one? Best drop D1 a line and let them know coilovers are a waste of money.

Not a pop before you react, "handling" is subjective. An MX5 handles well, as does a 306. But that can be improved if comfort is not a necessity. I want a toy I can take up to Knockhill, rattle it round for a few hours then enjoy the drive back after, while looking imo nice at the same time. The estate is the, erm, comfortable car, and that's on 400lb springs lmao
Thanks given by:
Got to say mate, far be it from me to agree with c.a.r but lowering MX5s does spoil the drive, the chassis is perfect as standard. Any stiffer and they become skittish, really awkward to drive on a wet road...

Instead of spending money on the suspension which is perfect already, turbo it Wink
Thanks given by:
You're all missing the point. MX5's look EPIC stanced.
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Just so pretty...

[Image: 6891935326_4611b03f90_b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: FCS2012111.jpg]
[Image: FCS2012113.jpg]
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Not gonna say they don't look epic, they clearly do, but I'm the kind of person who values how a car drives over how it looks, and ruining the way an MX5 drives is sacrilege...
Thanks given by:
[Image: 6891935326_4611b03f90_b.jpg]

Inlove
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
My opinion on anything stance is widely known, ill stay out of this thread Tongue
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
But you drive a tractor...
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I don't get the fuss about these. I think they look shit. The estate however is epic.

Or you could buy a Saab? Happy now ed?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
The mx5 is the holy grail to the petrolhead Niall, you need to get out and drive one!

Yea everything they say is always clichéd, but it's all true as well. Simple recipe, well executed.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2012, 08:08 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: The mx5 is the holy grail to the petrolhead Niall, you need to get out and drive one!

Yea everything they say is always clichéd, but it's all true as well. Simple recipe, well executed.

Oh I'm not doubting how they drive. Just stating I think they look shite
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(13-08-2012, 08:08 PM)c.a.r. Wrote: The mx5 is the holy grail to the petrolhead Niall, you need to get out and drive one!

woah woah woah! Respected and admired yes, holy grail?!?! Far from...

That's be something far more exotic Wink
Thanks given by:
You're not exactly a looker Niall and we somehow tolerate you.

Although, in fairness, that's just so you can troll Ed...

Wink
Thanks given by:
(13-08-2012, 08:13 PM)Curt Wrote: You're not exactly a looker Niall and we somehow tolerate you.

Although, in fairness, that's just so you can troll Ed...

Wink

Exactly. Function > form!

Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
My mum was 39 when she got her bugeye scoob... before hand owning a mg zr 160 in sunspot yellow!! quite funny when you ring your mum infront or your mates and shes just casually painting her callipers or getting it mapped to about 285bhp...

Shes going trax btw XD

Anyway no such thing as a midlife crisis, unless your buying a chrysler crossfire convertable at the age of 62 to 'feel the wind in your bald patch' XD

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

“Someone get the foghorn, Kyles out in the Diseaseal again”

[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Was my 20th birthday yesterday (thanks for the birthday thread, lady gardens), and I'm getting tempted to go all quarter-life-crisis and get an mx-5. I have a feeling I'd seriously struggle to get insured on one though Sad
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
(14-08-2012, 06:01 AM)Kezzieboy Wrote: Was my 20th birthday yesterday (thanks for the birthday thread, lady gardens), and I'm getting tempted to go all quarter-life-crisis and get an mx-5. I have a feeling I'd seriously struggle to get insured on one though Sad

That's a point, I didn't get a birthday thread either... Hmm

Just thought I'd troll you by pointing out that now I'm over 25 an MX5 on classic insurance is £311 a year...
Thanks given by:
Oooh, are they old enough to qualify for classic insurance now?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Must admit, I don't like all that stance shite......I'd rather have a comfortable car that drives well and handles well (no, not the mk4 obv!) than an undriveable one.......
Thanks given by:
I think everyone should own an MX5 at some point, at least then they can form their own opinion of them. They're not the last word in motoring by any means, they're hardly refined (which is why I'd recommend getting a really early one / import over a newer one)

Also fitting wide wheels is a no-no. Part of the cars charm is it's lack of grip when pushed, which makes it feel faster than it is. Increase the track width, the tread footprint and increase the grip and you basically destroy the foundation of having bought an MX5 in the first place.. They're hardly powerful enough to overwhelm the rear wheels as standard (195 width) so imagine how little fun you'd have if you couldn't unstick the rear because you're hellastupid?
Thanks given by:
Who said anything about the tyres being wider? Wink

And Hellastupid? Horses for courses. There seems to be a massive misunderstanding of the term "stanced" though, it's not about dropping something on it's arse. It's about sitting pretty. Doesn't mean it's undriveable...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  up early...its Friday daddyfixit 2 1,964 23-03-2019, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Redordead89
  306 identity crisis jordanhdi 9 2,841 13-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Last Post: WiNgNuTz
Tongue its friiiiday!!! - and its early Piggy 20 2,803 05-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob