flywheel locking hole

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
flywheel locking hole
wtf is the flywheel locking hole in the engine please, or do you have to remove the starter motor to gain access to it?

I can see the starter ring gear teeth as well as the flywheel sensor teeth ( similar to abs sensor "teeth" ) but cannot find a hole in the flywheel for the locking pin/tool.

Could someone post a pic of the holes or give a location, as well as a pic of the f/wheel locking pin please.
Thanks given by:
You have to pull the starter motor out to get to it.
Iirc it's 6mm Alan key or drill bit to lock it off.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
[Image: stick_paint_roller_handle.jpg]

One of these is pretty useful.
Thanks given by:
(30-06-2015, 10:24 AM)kentiiboii Wrote: You have to pull the starter motor out to get to it.
Iirc it's 6mm Alan key or drill bit to lock it off.

Never. Not once have I had to pull the stater out on xuds or hdis for the locking. Hole. Or Tu engines for that matter.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Had to take starter out to get to the locking hole on my xud.

What you doing different?
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
With the correct tool you can do it with the starter in place, but it's a bit awkward without (although possible)
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
It is awkward, but very much possible, slip a 6mm allen key behind starter from underneath and wiggle it round, it'll eventually drop into the hole, once it slips in the hole, just get a bit of an extension on your 1/2" ratchet and spin the engine over by hand with your other hand placing pressure on the allen key and you'll feel it clunk into the flywheel when it gets to the right position - easy!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
If it's your first time you'll never find the hole with the starter in place tbh... I spent ages trying to find it! Whipped the starter off in a minute or so (its only 3 bolts!) and done it straight away lol.

After you've seen it once it's much easier to access with the starter in place though. Smile
Thanks given by:
Again, you don't need to take out the starter

Slide a 6mm Allen key, using the longer end to get into the hold, Giggedy, and just keep wiggling with your fingers, doublegiggedy
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
You can see it from underneath if you get the right angle, using a paint roller handle as suggested makes it pretty easy to fish around for the hole. Certainly easier to get the locking tool in from underneath, absolutely no need to remove the starter. That said, if it's your first time and you've already been struggling for a while, perhaps that would be the best way for you to continue.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Old paint roller.. Now my special tool for it lol
Thanks given by:
Paint rollers are grant, but IME can leave a little too much slop when putting back together - even a 6mm allen key has slop, but less than the paint roller - whatever you use, bulk it out to be ~6mm.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
A 6mm allen key has slop because you need an 8mm to fit Big Grin Its an 8mm shaft in the cam and a 8mm into the flywheel on these engines.
Thanks given by:
What are you trying to do if you want to lock the flywheel off?
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:
changing the belt I'd imagine...

I thought it was 8mm? tu is smaller at 6mm.

btw, NEVER use the pin to lock the engine, only to get its timing position
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I made one in the end. Smoothed a bolt down till it was a tight fit, then bent the end to make a 'handle'

never have I needed to remove the starter either!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Thanks for all the replies, need to find the hole for when its cam belt time ( pun ) .

Also the engine steady affair at the rear of the engine, the big round one.......the round bush bolt is easy to remove by the looks, but does the vertical bolt at the other end of the "steady" come out without taking the "air pipe" the black plastic looking affair above the vertical bolt??

Its fitted the correct way at the moment, ie, self locking nut at the bottom.
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure I used an 8mm drill bit, after moving the starter out of the way.
Thanks given by:
Why are you removing the lower engine mount fork? It doesn't need to be removed to do the cambelt, or anything up to and including taking the engine out.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Even I didn't need to remove the starter, although if you move the wiring to be side above the starter you can look down the back and see where it is, then slide up a paint roller from underneath to time it Wink
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
My method is thus : Tape an Allen key to a bolt, locate the hole behind the starter using a torch and slot the Allen key in. Now fit the drivers wheel and turn with your foot (in fifth) while applying pressure to the locking Allen. When the pin slots in check the cam, if it is aligned shove your cam lock in and get on with t job Smile
Thanks given by:
ok, I think I have found the hole after probing around with my finger ( as you do ).

On our 306 hdi there are some apertures as if a tin plate between the engine and gearbox is missing, ala old fords etc, but the lower tin plate ( semi circular one ) is there.

I will be removing this lower tin guard to find the flywheel timing hole.

After sometime looking for the hole in the engine ( its not by the solenoid as the Haynes manual suggests, it even shows a sketch suggesting the hole is in line with the crank, which is what I was assuming ), I think I have found it below the starter motor and cyl head oil return "elbow".

It feels like an 8mm ish hole and is at 90 degrees to the crank, meaning a "slot" in the flywheel to take the locking "rod". 

No text or picture in the Haynes manual suggests this, so could someone confirm please.
Thanks given by:
its not that one
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
As above, the haynes manual is correct. I'm not sure you'll be able to see the timing hole from the gap under the sump, pretty sure it sits too close to the centre of the flywheel for that. Look higher up the block from where you have been, it's behind the starter motor, not underneath.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Is the flywheel locking hole viewable in this image? 

I have the starter off mine currently, and have only given it a quick look but couldn't see anything under the starter?
Must be there though Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(28-08-2015, 09:26 AM)tigerstyle Wrote: Is the flywheel locking hole viewable in this image? 

I have the starter off mine currently, and have only given it a quick look but couldn't see anything under the starter?
Must be there though Smile

that's a useful diagram, could you repost it with all the picture please as well as any text/part numbers?

much appreciated.

how is the cam oil return elbow held in please.

I tried to copy and paste the diagram but that didn't work.
Thanks given by:
Srvice Box dude: http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/pages/index.jsp
Guide on here, create your own login.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Cut a hole in the inner wing to get at the belt tensioner? cheapo 9 2,795 11-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Last Post: cheapo
  Hole in cylinder head, very wet floor.. dieselgeek 12 2,274 15-11-2014, 06:01 PM
Last Post: dieselgeek