Hole in cylinder head, very wet floor..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hole in cylinder head, very wet floor..
Hi guys,
new to forum so feel free to redirect me if I'm posting in the wrong place or this has already been answered.

Topped up my coolant last night to give the car her first run in about a year and the water came rushing out of a hole on the front of the cylinder head. Looks like there are supposed to be two steel caps pressed into holes about the size of a 2p coin, one of them is missing a cap and water is of course coming straight out.

I think I might have taken it off some time ago but really can't remember any more Confused

Any chance someone could confirm that there is supposed to be a pressed in plug there rather than a hose etc that I've missed out?

Anyone know where I could get hold of one?
Thanks given by:
Would you be able to post a pic? Sounds like a core plug?
Thanks given by:
Sure its the head? The core plugs are usually in the block. Confused
Thanks given by:
Yeah it does sound like a core plug in which case, they are pennies from pug and just need some decent sealant and hammering in with a old socket.
Id be wondering though how the old one came out and where it went!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
cheers for the quick reply guys, just nipped down to the lockup to get a couple of pics. Looks like its the head not the block as its alloy surrounding the hole.
You can see the water shining in the offending hole but the hole on the right of the top coolant hose clearly has a plug in it.

Please ignore badly painted blue injector lines - I was young and foolish...
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that is a core plug, and you're right its in the head. I'd never noticed them there before! Confused

I take it its a DW10? Pug part number 0233 08 and RRP of £1.07 each. 25mm diameter.
Thanks given by:
Yup, that's the cylinder head freeze plug, interestingly never seen one fail beofre!

But yeah, new core plug requires knocking in - looks like you'll have to dis-assemble the fuel rail, breather system and possibly bits of the HPFP...

The parts will be a few quid from ebay, but I'd be looking into why it's failed! You sure it hasn't frozen overnight and you've got no (or ineffective...) coolant in?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Assuming they are the same size as the GTi block ones, they are all of about 12p each from Peugeot. I replaced all of them on my block when i rebuilt it but had to buy a bag full as my dealers are wankers and won't split a bag.
In fact, they look smaller than the block ones so logic would have it, they are cheaper than the ones i used but this is Peugeot, the same company who know no logic lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Servicebox reckons £1.07 each, as my above post.

GTi block ones are 27mm and cost £1.26 each apparenty...

Edit - My bad, that's for a whole pack, not individually. Itwasntme

11 in a pack for GTi block. 5 in a pack for HDi head ones.
Thanks given by:
(15-11-2014, 05:28 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Servicebox reckons £1.07 each, as my above post.

GTi block ones are 27mm and cost £1.26 each apparenty...

Shit me they have gone up in price!! Just glue a 2p coin in there. Job jobbed ThumbsUp
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
See the update Niall, my fail.
Thanks given by:
Ah thats more like it lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Really helpful thanks everyone will get myself down to the local pug shop, easier to just buy one than do it on the lathe.

I only put coolant in when I run it and I've not overheated it so don't think its failed, luckily the garage never gets cold anyway - the garage nextdoor is owned by a restaurant and they have all the heat exchange outputs from the fridge/freezers backed up against the adjoining wall so I have one heated wall, got a thermometer in there never seen it drop below 10degrees c

Reckon I mustve taken it off to flush the head out properly, do vaguely remember doing that a fair while ago but can't see how I wouldve managed it!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Cut a hole in the inner wing to get at the belt tensioner? cheapo 9 2,803 11-03-2018, 10:21 AM
Last Post: cheapo
  flywheel locking hole pug306driver 26 4,445 28-08-2015, 11:33 AM
Last Post: tigerstyle
  re-fitting cylinder head Mr_Nuclear 2 886 07-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Uberderv