Air Con Cleaner

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air Con Cleaner
Afternoon,

So, used the AC about a month ago with no problem. Used it again today and nearly gagged on the smell!! Confused It didn't clear either (windows down obv) so just left it off.

I guess the warmer weather has been breeding bacteria down there, eurgh...so are there any recommendations for AC cleaner? It's not something I've had to do before so I've got no idea other than seeing a spray in Halfords for it. I know its not exactly common on 306s but some of you still have it working lol. Tongue

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Got my eye on this, mine smells like wet dog.
Thanks given by:
Nice. lol Can't even describe this smell, it's not like wet dog or mouldy carpets, it's just awful. Confused
Thanks given by:
We have some cleaner at work its not much man. Pop up if you want one. We have lemon or mint I think.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Cheers, sounds good. What sort of stuff is it? Like an instant spray and drive or do you have to leave it for a while like pest bombs?

I vaguely remember doing it once when I was at Honda now I've thought about it, was a can with a massive tube that you poked down through the vents. That was 2006 though so times may have moved on since lol.
Thanks given by:
Would spraying some general disinfectant spray into the pipe under scuttle panel work? I've done that before, not sure how effective it is though lol
Thanks given by:
Don't see it doing much unless you can get it to cover the AC evaporator tbh, which would be impossible from there lol, and as soon as you turn the ignition on on a 306 the blower starts anyway so it'd just blow it out again.

I also don't think it's easily accessible on the Focus either lol.
Thanks given by:
Would it not atleast go through the air con filter etc? Stopped the nasty smell in mine so i left it at that lol
Thanks given by:
Its a cleaner. You put it on recirculation let this thing off and leave the air con on for 20 mins. Seems to work. Worth a try surly. Its why you should always use air con.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2015, 05:46 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: Would it not atleast go through the air con filter etc? Stopped the nasty smell in mine so i left it at that lol

There's no filter in a 306 lol...hence the lumps of twig and bug that blow into your face. lol

Although, that has made me think...maybe the filter needs changing in the Focus, maybe that's what smells...but then surely all air would smell rather than just AC...hmm...

(05-05-2015, 05:46 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Its a cleaner. You put it on recirculation let this thing off and leave the air con on for 20 mins. Seems to work. Worth a try surly. Its why you should always use air con.

Well that's what I don't get, I've made a point of using it at least once a month to keep it working and fresh. Confused No point using it constantly as it's manual AC rather than climate control.

Worth a try though yeah, not sure when I'll next be up your way though but I'll keep it in mind! Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah change the filter.. They can start smelling after 6 months or so.
Mines on alll the time in the alfa as its dual zone climate but it still does 55+mpg even with it on lol
Thanks given by:
I'd change the pollen filter first (good luck, right bastard lol) as they tend not to get changed every year due to how awkward they are to get at. Then go for an air con bomb, like already said, set to recirculation and let it off
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Not just about cooling Tom, it dries the air as well.

Cars usually have CC, so it decides, but I honestly see no reason to turn it off. Uses next to no fuel in my experience.
Thanks given by:
Wasn't it proven that it has almost no impact on fuel economy?

Mine lives on now as with it off the pump has started making a grinding noise.. Ive noticed no impact on MPG.
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2015, 06:57 PM)Connor Wrote: I'd change the pollen filter first (good luck, right bastard lol) as they tend not to get changed every year due to how awkward they are to get at. Then go for an air con bomb, like already said, set to recirculation and let it off

Hmm, I can mess up simple things...sounds like that'll end well then... lol I don't see how it'd smell when using the AC though, surely all cabin air would be sucked through it?

(05-05-2015, 08:15 PM)cpikey316_ Wrote: Not just about cooling Tom, it dries the air as well.

Cars usually have CC, so it decides, but I honestly see no reason to turn it off. Uses next to no fuel in my experience.

It's not really the fuel economy that bothers me tbh, wastes more fuel having the window open which I do most of the time!! Just don't see the point leaving it on why it's not necessary, it's never damp time I go out so wouldn't even be useful for demisting (but then I have Quickclear front screen anyway lol).

Tbh the HVAC system on the Focus is awful. Genuinely don't understand why more people didn't spec the electronic climate control as the manual AC system is terrible! It's basically melting hot all the time until the last 8th of the blue on the dial, when it's freezing cold instead lol. Until you get a hot day then it's hot there as well lol, of course that's when you stick the AC on but the AC system isn't effective either, seems to be a common complaint on the Ford forums even after a regas. Probably my biggest dislike of the Focus tbh, should've held out for one with climate but they're so few and far. Sad
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2015, 08:26 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Wasn't it proven that it has almost no impact on fuel economy?

Mine lives on now as with it off the pump has started making a grinding noise.. Ive noticed no impact on MPG.
Not sure about that, but i dont notice a difference tbh. As said this is on 24/7 lol

[Image: 1fcf5f89f54b6c1e0f1df6da9ed5fa1d.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Put it away Seb, you'll make those of us with small, modern, supposedly efficient engines jealous. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(05-05-2015, 09:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Put it away Seb, you'll make those of us with small, modern, supposedly efficient engines jealous. [emoji14]
Thats the best over a tank Ive had apart from a run fully on motorway.. 2.4 5 cylinder with ~200bhp.

I say bollocks to these small eco engines [emoji14]

Back on topic.. I bet your filter hasnt been changed in ages.. They go black after about a year due to the damp etc
Thanks given by:
Just looked for a pollen filter guide for the Focus....who the hell decided that was the best place to stick a service item!? Dodgy I really doubt it's ever been changed now lol... lol

Only thing is the guide I saw didn't have the glovebox cooler, any idea how the vent thing comes off?

As for small engines... I like them, but not this one... The DV6 seems so good on paper, but the reality just isn't. I should've known better than sticking with Peugeot engines. lol
Thanks given by:
Used one of these bombs on my old 306 it worked a charm Smile
Thanks given by:
Yeah we used to call it a "bomb" as you would put the car outside idling, AC on full recirc cold blast and then dump this bomb in the footwell facing the recirc flap and pull the tab and shut the door quick!
15min later, and it would smell like a nice fresh new car again.

I need to do the 206 one asap so if you find a decent one Tom, let me know? put up a link?! thanks babe
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2015, 07:30 AM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah we used to call it a "bomb" as you would put the car outside idling, AC on full recirc cold blast and then dump this bomb in the footwell facing the recirc flap and pull the tab and shut the door quick!

I need to do the 206 one asap so if you find a decent one Tom, let me know? put up a link?! thanks babe

I have good ones here. Tom can come try one. And if he confirms its nice I can bring one to fcs for you.
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2015, 07:50 AM)bashbarnard Wrote:
(06-05-2015, 07:30 AM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah we used to call it a "bomb" as you would put the car outside idling, AC on full recirc cold blast and then dump this bomb in the footwell facing the recirc flap and pull the tab and shut the door quick!

I have good ones here. Tom can come try one. And if he confirms its nice I can bring one to fcs for you.

Can you post details of the make/brand of them? I need one.
Thanks given by:
Wurth and bolts are the better ones. We've had the other banging about for ages no one likes it lol
Thanks given by:
I'll give the Wurth one a go then. Smile
Thanks given by:
Works for me. £9 my boss says. If you want to give one a go.
Thanks given by:
don't poundland sometimes stock them lol
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
The wurth one I think is what we used.

has it a little card stand with it!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No stand man. I'll ask wurth man about it when I see him though.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wheel Cleaner? Toms306 12 1,521 13-10-2015, 06:05 AM
Last Post: lolsteve
  Wheel cleaner... Tom 10 1,873 09-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Last Post: C2K
  306 Cab Roof Cleaner smartgun 3 1,212 09-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Last Post: Poodle