Handling Upgrades

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handling Upgrades
I'd like to increase handling on my 5dr 1999 306 t turbo s. Its juts a bit wobbly and doesnt inspire confidence around high speed corners.

Is there a rear ARB as standard?

I'm going to replace discs/pads upfront, so will look to upgrade to 266mm from an hdi, do i need new calipers or just the carriers? Pads wise, yellow stuff have always worked well for me on other cars, will they do the trick here?

I want to keep the ride height standard for now, but if it turns out i need to replace shocks/springs may go down a touch using eibac/bilstein/or the like. My last 306 could not carry more than one back passenger and i want to avoid this.

Bit of a knocking from the front which i think is drop link.

Finally, will a rear disc conversion really see much benefit? The car wont be used on a track. for now...
Thanks given by:
replace worn bushings,ball joints,drop links first.

check rear axle mounts.
Thanks given by:
Anyone know what the girth is on my front ARB, ecp sell bushes for 18,19 or 21

has anyone got any experience with these cheap all in on suspension kits off ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-Wi...541164853c

I once bought a cheap ebay wishbone for a bmw an the middle ball joint snapped as i was driving. The meyle HD are considerably more pricey for this pug
Thanks given by:
Low quality wishbones =
[Image: IMG_1075.jpg]

These where around a month old, Happened a few times on here as well I think,

ARB Bush's I would get from Pug as well, not expensive but will fit and last

If the rear ARB is thinner than 24mm then a GTi one is a easy upgrade
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
Unfortunately that is a familiar sight to me! How much do Peugeot charge for wishbones? How involved is it to re use the current ones with new bushes and ball joints? Bearing in mind i dont have a hydraulic press, only a big vice and a blowtorch...
Thanks given by:
Well I'm on Motaquip wishbones with Vibra Tech rear bush's, 2 seasons of Sprints/Hillclimbs with many a wrecked wheel from Kerb hopping and they still are good as new, Mind I have taken out 1 TRW ball joint which are OE fitment
Overall Road Going Production Class Winner at BARC Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb 2012, 2013 & 2014 With a class record along the way (For a while), Taking 2nd place will be Ian Redding's 306 GTi
2016 Castle Combe GT championship class winner
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2015, 11:18 AM)hennus Wrote: Anyone know what the girth is on my front ARB, ecp sell bushes for 18,19 or 21

has anyone got any experience with these cheap all in on suspension kits off ebay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-Wi...541164853c

I once bought a cheap ebay wishbone for a bmw an the middle ball joint snapped as i was driving. The meyle HD are considerably more pricey for this pug

I replaced everything on my HDi with Lemforder bits. I kept an eye for deals on ECP or CP4L, so didn't work out too expensive. Still looking at couple of hundred quid though for a full refurb of suspension. Car drives superbly now, although I did upgrade to B4 shocks and Xsara VTS ,F.ARB/Springs/Beam.

If you really want discs at the back, just grab a GTi6 beam, rebuild it and swap over. Beams are pennies for 306s, unlike 205 ones!
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
cool i'll keep my eyes peeled for deals. Its always so nice to have every ball joint and bush replaced in a car
Thanks given by:
It might make sense to go for the GTi6 brake upgrade rather than the HDi? I'm sure the calipers are fairly easily available and pads etc. aren't that expensive for them. On the pads, I recommend M1144s. They're great for the road, really enjoying them on mine.

Lemforder stuff I'd recommend as well. Never had any issues on mine with them.
Thanks given by:
Needs 15" wheels for gti6 brakes mind...
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2015, 11:10 PM)DemonDriverDan Wrote: It might make sense to go for the GTi6 brake upgrade rather than the HDi? I'm sure the calipers are fairly easily available and pads etc. aren't that expensive for them. On the pads, I recommend M1144s. They're great for the road, really enjoying them on mine.

Lemforder stuff I'd recommend as well. Never had any issues on mine with them.

When I rebuilt the suspension, I also refurbed the brake system too. I used the standard HDi stuff, but overhauled it all with new seals and caliper carriers. Initially, I thought it best to upgrade to the GTi6 stuff (I have 2 sets) but after driving the car about 6k I'm of the opinion that the HDi stuff is fine for fast road. 
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
Hdi stuff is more than adequate if well maintained imo, saves paying gti tax too.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers for the info. And the HDI brakes are ok with 14" wheels? don't want to get 15s as ive just stuck on four new Falken sn-832 tyres
Thanks given by:
Yeah fine.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Estate handling mods Tabbiss 2 1,822 24-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Scary rear handling! plugy 11 4,083 15-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: plugy
  Dreadful Handling JTaylor2005 39 6,674 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM