Help with cost of living

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with cost of living
I plan to save up and then move to Canada Big Grin Houses are so cheap out there!

Should stop buying things first though!
[Image: kim.png]
Thanks given by:
£40 on a phone bill!? Confusedhock:
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:£40 on a phone bill!? Confusedhock:

most decent mobile phones are £30 / £40 a month
Thanks given by:
springs Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:£40 on a phone bill!? Confusedhock:

most decent mobile phones are £30 / £40 a month

Ah, didn't think of a contract...was thinking of PAYG, my bad. Doh
Thanks given by:
I'm rediculously lucky tbh... I live with 3 others, lovely house just outside of Gloucester (yeah, that's right, technically I'm not Gloucester, I'm Forest of Dean.... 8-) ) Per month the house is £1200/month to run, with rent, heating oil, electric, council tax, water - split 4 ways that's £300 a month, so what we do is have an account that each of us puts £300 in each month, then any deficit is just split 3 ways, anything over just stays in for next month/incase...

Works quite nicely, get an awesome house out of it, admittedly I can't have any really noisy wanks/sex but it would appear it doesn't stop my housemates, so I think I'm just going to join in the fun!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:I'm rediculously lucky tbh... I live with 3 others, lovely house just outside of Gloucester (yeah, that's right, technically I'm not Gloucester, I'm Forest of Dean.... 8-) ) Per month the house is £1200/month to run, with rent, heating oil, electric, council tax, water - split 4 ways that's £300 a month, so what we do is have an account that each of us puts £300 in each month, then any deficit is just split 3 ways, anything over just stays in for next month/incase...

Works quite nicely, get an awesome house out of it, admittedly I can't have any really noisy wrist exercise/sex but it would appear it doesn't stop my housemates, so I think I'm just going to join in the fun!

thats the best thing i've seen. More so if you can find friends that want to do the same.

I'd be looking to move at some point soon. Although i get it easy living at home it is half annoying most of the time..
Thanks given by:
I can't believe what some of you lot down south pay for rent :o

My bills:

Rent £280
Tax £55
Food £100
Sky/Internet £28
Gas/Elec £60 (But I get a £200 credit every year as a BG employee)
Insurance £170
Fuel £200
Phones £68
Dog £40

Everything but the car gets split 50/50, Gen went halves on the car for a while (she can't drive but we need a car) but she starting nagging for me to chop it in for a diesel so I sacked that off lol

Consider moving up north. Forget all the above stuff, a pint is £2.20 up here!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:I can't believe what some of you lot down south pay for rent :o

My bills:

Rent £280
Tax £55
Food £100
Sky/Internet £28
Gas/Elec £60 (But I get a £200 credit every year as a BG employee)
Insurance £170
Fuel £200
Phones £68
Dog £40

Everything but the car gets split 50/50, Gen went halves on the car for a while (she can't drive but we need a car) but she starting nagging for me to chop it in for a diesel so I sacked that off lol

Consider moving up north. Forget all the above stuff, a pint is £2.20 up here!

Yer but everything i do and know is down south, Wages are lower up north as well..
Thanks given by:
But... You'd have to live in..... THE NORTH
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
I was offered a transfer to another office in Southampton for a promotion, the wage was the same as I'd have earnt up here which is why I turned it down, would have been far worse off, and I would have to give up good bitter and rugby league lol

And Ruan, the North is f*cking awesome, as long as you don't mean Lancashire...
Thanks given by:
I started going across the M62 and caught chlamydia on my way into Leeds, so I turned back Wink
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:I started going across the M62 and caught chlamydia on my way into Leeds, so I turned back Wink

I guarantee you the clap was from Lancashire, Tetley's bitter is a well-known clap preventative Wink
Thanks given by:
Not to offend you notherners but I don't like the north....well the places I've been up there anyway lol.

Ruan, that sounds ideal and is something I would like to do if me and the missus couldn't afford to move out together.
I'm pretty flexible as to where I live though as I work for a national company so should be able to transfer.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
No offence taken mate, I feel the same about the south. The only place I've liked is Cornwall, and I actually DESPISE London lol
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:No offence taken mate, I feel the same about the south. The only place I've liked is Cornwall, and I actually DESPISE London lol

So do I! I used to love it but seeing as I work in central London probably 3 out of 5 days a week, I now hate it! Especially the driving!!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:So do I! I used to love it but seeing as I work in central London probably 3 out of 5 days a week, I now hate it! Especially the driving!!

I don't even know where to start with what I hated, I found the people really rude, it cost me £16 for a pint and a burger in a pub, the underground stunk of sweat and shit, nobody could drive properly and I nearly smacked some twat for complaining really loudly about "idiot tourists" when I could get the stupid card to work on the tube lol
Thanks given by:
Something you get used to tbh.
I feel out of place when I go down to our offices in new forest and everyone's really polite and helpful......and english
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Move to Gloucester and recieve some Ruan loving...
Thanks given by:
good old London..

I hate the place and i'm there 5 days a week.. Sad

Thats why i'm looking for a new job..
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Move to Gloucester and recieve some Ruan loving...

Address? I'm ther! Haha
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You should though, Gloucester isn't THAT bad, it's only compared to Cheltenham it's a 'hole... Probably got space in the man-house for one more Wink
Thanks given by:
I know. I did a fair bit of work there a few months back and quite liked it. Too close to Connor for my liking though!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Niall Wrote:I know. I did a fair bit of work there a few months back and quite liked it. Too close to Connor for my liking though!

That'd put anyone off! Confusedhock:
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:IAnd Ruan, the North is f*cking awesome, as long as you don't mean Lancashire...

QFtheactualT!

I pay half towards the £500 pcm for the 2 bedroom cottage we rent, it is in a nice rural location though. £100 p/w go's into the joint account I have with the missus that covers the bills and leaves some rainy day money. Then there's the car & van's running costs to pay for..I miss living at home Sad
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
This may seen obvious but I'll say it anyway..

Ensure you deffo have enough money before you move out. Budget everything for what it would be worst case (most expensive) so that way you know you won't be in a f*ck I can't afford council tax this month situation. Try make sure you have spare money that you can save for a rainy day e.g. car breaks down. If you have a credit card or any debts your paying off, make sure you can meet your minimum payments too. Look into things such as housing benefit and child tax credit etc if you feel you need to (not sure on how that all works as me and danny don't claim anything but if it helps you and need the extra money, if your entitled, do it!)

Me and Danny pay around 1400 a month for us so thats on
-rent 375
-insurance 150
-council tax 100
-electric about 30 (on a coin meter ha!)
-fuel about 150
-phone bills (mobile and house) 60ish
-tv license paid monthly 12
-food about 30 a week

Just a rough guide for what we pay for. you may also pay for bank accounts, pets if you have any, car tax every 6 months etc so just keep in mind the little things too!

sorry for the long reply but I hope that helps (:
Thanks given by:
Wise words, Em! ^^

Might also be worth checking with family if they would be there to help you out if push came to shove, e.g. the car needing an expensive repair... My folks have always been brilliant but I know friends where parents turned off the tap completely the day they moved out... Sad

One thing to also keep in mind when moving into a more rural spot is increased fuel cost...
Thanks given by:
Check the council tax band, dont assume that a 1 bed house will be a band A cos they arent always, my tiny house was band C which was an extra £50 a month.

Budget for about 50% more food shopping than you think as youll always end up putting cleaning things and small household stuff in the trolley.

Also check the energy rating and what the heaters are like as my house only had 2 electric heaters and i had to run them both full blast 24/7 to keep the house warm in winter which raped my electric.

Try and get a shower that heates the water as it goes through if you have electric heating as then you dont need to fire the boiler, use the shower to fill the bathroom sink and use the kettle for hot water for washing up and youll save a few quid.

When i lived on my own in 1 bed house driving a 306 on veg i had no money spare out of £1800 a month
Thanks given by:
I cant believe what some of you pay :o

I live in a 2 bed mid terrace cottage in a small village, £390pcm

I still live at home for the moment though as to be fair, I spend 99% of my time at ambers, stay at home probably 4 times a month?

I can take over the old dears rent when ever I want the house though as she's going to move in with her partner.

But for the moment I pay £100 a month house keeping, £100 a month in family debts, £35 phone bill, £100~ a week in petrol, £20 a week on food probably & £14 a month RAC (i pay for mine and the old dears)

I'm like dan though, i've learnt to have sex quieter to save money..
Thanks given by:
JJ0063 Wrote:I'm like dan though, i've learnt to have sex quieter to save money..

Iv seen your bedroom. Noise isnt the issue there mate lol
Thanks given by:
Dan! Wrote:
JJ0063 Wrote:I'm like dan though, i've learnt to have sex quieter to save money..

Iv seen your bedroom. Noise isnt the issue there mate lol

PMSL, forgot about that.

Yes my bedroom at home is a 'Gallery bedroom' for any of the oldies that know what one of those is... I have a slight lack of 1 wall & the stairs go through my room... As I said, I spend 99% of my time in Swaffham at Ambers... for obvious reasons..
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House moving cost cpikey316_ 22 4,718 30-07-2016, 06:20 AM
Last Post: cpikey316_
  Living with a psychopath Paul_13 49 6,204 18-01-2016, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Adam CD P1
  How Much Has Your Car Cost You? Toms306 40 5,749 24-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Niall