306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Help with cost of living
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Right, as some of you folks have flown the nest for some time now I'm asking for you assistance with my calculations for moving out.

Basically I have a couple of bills to pay to relatives which will be done by the end of May, so we will be realistically moving out in June.

I've already sold the gas-guzzling Celica which has shaved around £300 of fuel and maintenance costs per month (no shit).

I'm just curious, having never moved out before, what the additional 'hidden' costs are. We will be privately renting property, something which I have no clue about.

I'm asking my mates as well I'm just wondering if there's any helpful input from the 306 oc. I don't want to know what your precise bills are per month, but a rough idea of a 2-bed apartment / small house in terms of electricity, water, tax etc. costs would be sweet.

Thankyouplease!
Privately renting is a good start as agencies charge ridiculous fees for their work which you, as a tenant, gain very little from (in my experience). One to keep in mind right at the start is the deposit for the flat/house, usually between one and two months' rent.

Council tax depends on your area and the value of the property, the local council website should give you a fairly precise idea on what to expect there. My water is included in my rent and as I don't have gas my electricity bills are quite high but I'm paying a fixed amount each month as you usually use less in the summer so the cost is spread across the year nicely. Actual amounts will very much depend on your lifestyle (are you always cold, do you have 30min showers everyday, do you need to sleep with the lights on etc.)

Good luck with the move and I hope all goes well!
Water rates
Electricity
Gas
Broadband
Line rental
Council Tax
Contents & Building insurance
The rent fee
TV license

If you can get somewhere with the water, electricity, gas and broadband included then your on to a winner.

I've seen 2 bed's go from as little as £450 PCM to £1200 PCM in the Bristol area.

Get on as many websites as you can and just keep looking, GumTree is good place to start for private lettings.
Add TV licence to that list plus obvs the cost of the move itself.

I second that GumTree is a good place to start looking and the private markets seem to have quite a lot to choose from atm but be prepared to move quickly when you like something.
Learn to have sex quieter, stay at home, save money.

Done.
Cheers people, very helpful.

Anyone in a similar position care to add a typical value to the things that silverzx listed?

Dan, I would like to stay at home because it's massive, the old folks don't care and there's even a spare room for the baby when it arrives, however I need to have the independence that most 23 year-olds have! So moving out is pretty much a given unless I'm really unlucky and lose my job.
Water rates £40
Electricity £35
Gas £45
Broadband £8
Line rental £13
Council Tax £75
Contents & Building insurance £7
The rent fee £700
TV license £12

Prices per month
Anton Wrote:Water rates £40
Electricity £35
Gas £45
Broadband £8
Line rental £13
Council Tax £75
Contents & Building insurance £7
The rent fee £700
TV license £12

Prices per month

£250ish plus the rent :o I'm never gonna earn enough to move out lol! Sad

Good luch Chris...enjoy being skint. :?
Water: included in rent (£555/mth for a 2bed flat with decent size rooms, part furnished)
Electricity: £26/mth (as explained above, I'm paying the same amount all year to buffer the higher usage during winter)
Gas: n/a
Broadband/line rental/landline with various calling plans: £30/mth
Council tax: £80ish/mth (comes out through direct debit, so not entirely sure of the exact total)
Contents insurance with landlord's possessions insurance: £14/mth (but that depends on the value of your stuff and the excess your prepared to pay in case of a claim)
TV licence: £140/yr iirc

That's for me living on my own atm. Once my other half moves in with me I'm expecting insurance to double, council tax might go up by 1/4 (depending on whether or not Paul finds a job), everything else is fixed prices, so will stay the same.

Soooo, totally exposed myself to the world and will probably shortly be ridiculed for the crap deals I've ended up paying... Take it easy on me! Wink
I like this thread. Ive got a house in liverpool for £65 a week with only water included. So really had no idea about the electricity bill apart from that the previous tenants said it was manageable between the four of them! No council tax for students! win win! Big Grin
Jesus reading what you guys pay is depressing ha ha nearly 2 grand a month for me lol
Jonny b Wrote:Jesus reading what you guys pay is depressing ha ha nearly 2 grand a month for me lol
Depends where you live though doesn't it.
Some of these prices are dirt cheap compared to my area and I live in a shit hole.
1100pcm struggles to get a 3 bed semi detached.
800pcm will get you a shit 1 bed flat above a shop.
600pcm and less and you into studio flats.

Im moving away from here when I move out!
I'm moving out within the next year or two as soon as uni finishes - so far, any work i've had away from home i've made sure accomodation is included, im assuming if you have commitments, this is a difficult option??
Mazz & I just bought a 2bed house with private carpark, a conservatory & small garden.

Mortgage is £345
Insurance: £24
Gas:£25-ish
Elec: £40-ish
Council Tax: £110-ish
Mazz's parents bought the tv license as a moving-in present so I dont know LOL
I think we pay about £18-25 for bt infinity & phone...

We do spend a fair bit on food though... I think we do about £150 a month
Still, for having our own place, its bloody awesomes Big Grin
345 on mortgage? Wtf! Is that each?
nope, I pay the mortgage on my own Smile

The rest is all totalled, so we split all that Smile
Ed if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the house and how much deposit did you put down?

Not being nosey, just curious. As I said, I'm planning on moving away and was considering your neck of the woods. Sounds a hell of a lot cheaper than where I am!
Can I add to the list of questions: was this your first time buying?
Where do you live Ed? Your location in the sidebar doesnt really help lol...

And £600pcm for a studio flat Niall?? :o Thats more than the waterfront in Ipswich! Confusedhock:

Then again, I suppose surrey is quite a posh/expensive place.

If you want cheapness, go up North, everythings cheap up there, houses, cars, fuel etc!
Toms306 Wrote:If you want cheapness, go up North, everythings cheap up there, houses, cars, fuel etc!

To an extent!!! Property in York is bloody dear, Edinburgh has some of the most expensive postcodes in the entire country, so does Aberdeen...

But for you, Birmingham is probably "north" Wink
It's not just Surrey Tom. Parts of Surrey (such as Woking - somewhere else I'm seriously considering) are nice and cheap compared to Epsom. It's just because we have epsom downs here. Not really a nice area tbh...well parts are but not where I live lol.

Ed lives in Surrey and I've been to his house and that seems like a lot of house for that amount of money! I reckon he had to blow the seller!
MrsMoonstone Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:If you want cheapness, go up North, everythings cheap up there, houses, cars, fuel etc!

To an extent!!! Property in York is bloody dear, Edinburgh has some of the most expensive postcodes in the entire country, so does Aberdeen...

But for you, Birmingham is probably "north" Wink

Well Barnsley is damn cheap compared to here lol, thats as north as i've been......oh and even Norwich is 'North' from here haha! Big Grin
Dont come to Birmingham, flipping dump!! lol
TheGateKeeper Wrote:Dont come to Birmingham, flipping dump!! lol

Reflected in the price of stuff though. Tongue
meh, Stevenage prices are around £600 for a 2-bed flat. I want a small house so I'm considering moving out of the main town and into one of the smaller villages which surround Stevo. Prices drop drastically just by moving away from the train / motorway link.

Very helpful so far though peeps.

I had calculated a 'tentative' figure of £100 for bills like insurance, tv license, water/leccy and that seems spot-on. If we can get away with it we will get a low tax band, so that will be just £75-80 a month.

Fecking expensive though. Looks as though we will be left with £140 per week (based on 4.35 weeks per month) out of just my wages alone. I've no idea what my girlfriend will be entitled to both before and after the baby is born, work have just laid her off Sad
House in a village ftw, especially with little one on the way!!! Big Grin

I know it's not related to the house but don't forget mobile bills in your calculations - they always come as a surprise to me... Wink Sad
Niall YHPM Smile
Gonna be paying less than £70 a week rent and bills next year, happy days.

My usual weekly spend on food and all the other day-to-day stuff comes to an average of £50, and I usually go out at least once a week (frequently twice).
Mobile phone bill is still in my dads' name, I pay it as part of my housekeeping and had totally forgotten it. That's another £40 a month I'd forgotten about!

Maybe I just won't say anything and he'll forget? It comes from his account by direct debit so he may not notice for a few months anyway haha!

There are a few nice little villages out and around Stevenage, but the 'catch 22' is that my girlfriend failed her driving test, so she will be stuck in the village with crap public transport to deal with. And in our area, it really is crap. It will be difficult to judge, but if we could only move into the same village as her sister....be sorted!
I need to start to also look into this though... But gonna wait a few months to pay off a few more debts, and hopefully can fund it.. Just a pain in the arse that I cant seem to settle down lol cause a 2nd wage would be good. But hoping to be moved out of my parents by the time the little lad is 1, so June 2013 Smile
Pages: 1 2 3