Knocking suspension

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knocking suspension
Have a knocking noise on the left side front shock when I go over bumps sounds like something's loose. The drop links and top mounts are only 2 years old. Any idea what it could be?
Thanks given by:
2 year old cheap droplink could still quite feasibly be knackered - 306's seem to be quite hard on droplinks in my experience.

Check that first and then do a quick spanner check of everything down there and see what if any movement / noise there is when you give everything a good shake.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 08:36 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: 2 year old cheap droplink could still quite feasibly be knackered - 306's seem to be quite hard on droplinks in my experience.

Check that first and then do a quick spanner check of everything down there and see what if any movement / noise there is when you give everything a good shake.

Yeah I checked it this morning but couldn't find anything, I'll give changing the drop links a go
Thanks given by:
Does it knock when you apply full lock or just over bumps as previously said spanner check I'd check Top mount, anti roll bar linkage I'd also check the spring/damper
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 08:45 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: Does it knock when you apply full lock or just over bumps as previously said spanner check I'd check Top mount, anti roll bar linkage I'd also check the spring/damper

Just over bumps and I only installed them a few days ago so it's all tight
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 08:47 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 08:45 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote: Does it knock when you apply full lock or just over bumps as previously said spanner check I'd check Top mount, anti roll bar linkage I'd also check the spring/damper

My only other suggestion is track rod end
Have a look in the guides section for ginge191 he did guide on front suspension change it has some pics that might give you a ruff idea of potential things it could be
Thanks given by:
(03-10-2014, 08:58 PM)Adam-m-h Wrote:
(03-10-2014, 08:47 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote:

My only other suggestion is track rod end
Have a look in the guides section for ginge191 he did guide on front suspension change it has some pics that might give you a ruff idea of potential things it could be

Yeah I followed that guide really helpful, just weird how it started making that noise when I changed it all but nothing's loose
Thanks given by:
as this is on the nearside also check the bottom ball joint pinch bolt is tight some times the hole in the hub becomes oval and may cause a knock?
Thanks given by:
mine does a similar thing when i turn left off a roundabout and i think its the rear mount on the wish bone as i have just had the mot and every thing else was ok and that came up as an advisory
Thanks given by:
So I went to change my wishbones at weekend and one came off nicely. The other however as you would expect was a t**t. I have broken the head off of the bolt that holds the wishbone on The other end of this bolt is encapsulated in the subframe. I have read up and if I change the subframe I am likely to encounter the same problem with those bolts. Is anyone on here a PUG expert or great at removing snapped bolts?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Suspension fettled - still a knocking noise! (ZX) beko1987 4 1,428 17-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Last Post: beko1987
  Suspension Knocking jackmiller30 15 2,754 06-12-2014, 03:47 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
  Knocking sounds from rear suspension Stratocaster26 9 2,129 21-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93