Annoying noise...lift pump?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Annoying noise...lift pump?
When turning the ignition on on my hdi there's a high pitched noise for 5 seconds then it stops.
Then when I start the engine it starts again and continues. What is it? The lift pump ? Can I make it quieter? I'm new to Hdi's so not keyed up on them really.
Thanks given by:
Where abouts in the noise? It will be because of the lift pump, but if its around the engine bay then it's the pipes vibrating or something to do with the fuel filter housing, pre X reg are bad for that. Not actually a problem though, more of an annoyance lol.

If its coming from the pump itself then that could be a sign that its on the way out...
Thanks given by:
Mine does the same, its the lift/low pressure (lp) pump - to confirm remove the seat behind the driver, make sure all windows are closed and radio off, when you switch the ignition you should hear the pump prime, by prime it should make a high pitched whining noise and you should be able to hear it working for a bit then it should cut off, it will also whine when its working..

You can try to sound deaden that area by putting something under the seat i guess...

If the noise is coming from elsewhere then i don't know!
Thanks given by:
As per Tom's post.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yep from by the glove box but engine side, no worries, the engine soon drowns it out anyway. Cheers
Thanks given by:
If it's by the glove box then I've read it's the heater air recirculation motor/flap going crazy causing that noise?
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2014, 11:12 AM)andywhy Wrote: If it's by the glove box then I've read it's the heater air recirculation motor/flap going crazy causing that noise?

that creates a really mad clicking noise though not a high pitched whine - trust me mines a pain in the ass!
Thanks given by:
Yea it's in the engine bay but can be heard through the glove box, I've noticed it just does it when it wants to really,

Is the air con meant to come on every time the ignition does? This wouldn't be related would it?
Thanks given by:
Air con on these is a pain in the arse tbh.

It comes on if the temp is over 20c or something so that's all the time in this weather. Also comes on if you put the blowers to windscreen only. Plus you cant ever turn the fan off with ignition on! Dodgy

I'm not sure what you're doing in the glovebox tbf, just keep your head out of it lol. Wink Spund travels though, open the bonnet, and switch the ignition on through the window....you should be able to more accurately locate the noise.
Thanks given by:
Cheers for that , no air con faults then. I've seen lots of people remove air con. May be a job for the future..

Getting used to the lp noise now. If it's working I'll leave it alone!
Thanks given by:
Does your air con actually work? Or do you just mean the optimistic green light illuminates....? lol
Thanks given by:
The green light comes on and I think the air con does work however I hate air con, always preferred opening a window!
Thanks given by:
to get rid of the clcking noice the air recirc flap generated you have to take out the whole dash its quite a big job, i had the same issue when i first joined the forum and thats what i was told, you cant just unplug it Undecided its one of those lovely quirks of the hdi!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Won't start, think lift pump. daveylennon93 11 2,973 23-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  Noise from HP pump Dreijers 7 1,541 12-08-2016, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  no power to lift pump thanhhungone 4 1,737 20-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Poodle