Won't start, think lift pump.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Won't start, think lift pump.
YHello I have a problem with my hdi. Its been sat up about a year without being started now wont start.

I had the diesel tank and lift pump out of it( was treating a bit of rust). When i was at it I took lift pump apart and cleaned it and put back together. 

All is back together now and this is whats happening.

When i turn on the ignition the lift pump does come on but doesnt sound the best.
I disconnected the pipe from filter to hp pump and turned ignition on, it just gives a small spurt out of diesel out of filter and stops, then another small spurt and stops again. 

Im guessing that when lift pump is priming it should give constant flow from filter to hp pump for few seconds? 

I also cracked the pipe from hp pump to fuel rail to see if i was gettin diesel, on turning over no diesel comes out the hp pump.

Any help appreciated, think its lift pump just not sure. Thanks for reading??

HDI D'Turbo Daily Driver ---- XUD D'Turbo Project
Thanks given by:
Yep, sounds like the LP pump has packed in.

On the second click of the key there should be a good bit of flow coming from it for around 3 or 4 seconds.
Thanks given by:
Yeah think thats the prob alryt.

When i turn ignition on just gives 2 spurts of diesel out of it. Ill put power directly to it and see if that works and if not ill replace it.

Thanks given by:
Are you sure it all went back together correctly? Could be something blocking the flow. Worth a check since you've got to have it out to replace it.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah im guna strip it again and have a look because was workin grand last time car was going, id say i broke it when cleaning it?

Thanks given by:
(21-01-2017, 07:59 PM)Poodle Wrote: Are you sure it all went back together correctly? Could be something blocking the flow. Worth a check since you've got to have it out to replace it.

Have you any idea what pins to put + and - to on lift pump to test?

Thanks given by:
Yeah quite possibly, seems too much of a coincidence... Not off the top of my head, sorry, i'm pretty sure it's in a guide somewhere.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
And she runs!!

Was the lift pump alryt. Took it out and took it apart, dropped it back in primed it and went first turn of the key.

Thanks given by:
Good job, glad to hear it was a free fix.

Any idea what the issue was?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-01-2017, 03:02 PM)Poodle Wrote: Good job, glad to hear it was a free fix.

Any idea what the issue was?

Yeah was just hoping it wasnt something else wrong that i would never find.

Dont know what the problem was, i just took the bottom plastic part off and dropped the pump in without it and away she went.

Thanks given by:
The bit that's kind of like a maze? Might find you want that, it's a fuel trap of sorts which stops the pump from starving on long right-hand corners.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-01-2017, 10:35 PM)Poodle Wrote: The bit that's kind of like a maze? Might find you want that, it's a fuel trap of sorts which stops the pump from starving on long right-hand corners.

Haha yeah Im going to put it back together again. Im guessing the it was just blocked or something.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  no power to lift pump thanhhungone 4 1,735 20-01-2016, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Fuel/lift pump Deangatt 2 1,300 21-08-2015, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  No voltage at tank lift pump KevinTW 4 1,204 12-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Last Post: xudlingo