How Often to Start a Car in Storage

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Often to Start a Car in Storage
ive left my old 1.8 diesel fiesta mk3 at her mums for nearly 5 years ! the idea was to fix the 306 and sell it on, but the kids liked the 306 so fiesta was sorned....
I started it last week, moved it backwards/forwards left it till heater was blowing hot then switched off. I go there about every 2--3 months, and today found a new place to take it so it can be restored & repainted over the winter months.
suppose it will be road worthy for new year and plod about in it for a bit next year ???
Thanks given by:
Well because of this thread I thought id get the 6 out while its nice and give it a bit of a running... batteries dead Undecided
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Moisture things from wilkos to catch damp, make sure coolant is at the right level and oil is newish, seen as an oil change is about 25 quid ild throw it in anyway, the coolant is there to prevent rush and over heating so, ideally get it jacked up of the tyres and hand break of, make sure the battery if fully disconnected or you'ld find nice patches of rush when your go for a next mot, give her a nice clean and polish to so she has some kinda of resistance against the elements, and leave hardly and fuel in, in all honesty you can leave her for a year easily without starting her, and when you do throw some fresh fuel in, she isn't gonna die by leaving her standing as long as you make the required actions to look after her Smile think of classic cars that sit in a show room for a few years and then is taken to shows...
Using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
My other car proton wira gti evo not been started for 1 year and 3 months.

I cleaned the car inside and out dry of course before it went in the garage. Also left the handbrake off and battery off to.

I don't really worry the car dry and has air circulation. I've done this with my old bmw as well in the past.
Thanks given by:
To store the car in a garage? (i didn't read the post :p )

Put on axle stands
Brim the tank to prevent ingress of water into the diesel through condensation
do a coolant and oil change
Don't start the car, or if you must no less than every 6 months. Can cause more harm than good to keep starting a car without driving it.

If the engine and everything is in good condition when you store it, there shouldn't be any problem when it comes to putting it back on the road.

Saying that, I've never driven my Jag on the road legally, and I always give it a start every 6 months or so. In fact, I've not done that for about 8 months haha. It's petrol though, so it's different when it gets so much carbon build up due to sitting idling.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Secure Password Storage App burnmw 4 1,310 11-10-2012, 07:46 AM
Last Post: 306carter
  iPod storage in your Pug? C.A.R. 16 2,958 14-09-2012, 07:59 AM
Last Post: C.A.R.