306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: How Often to Start a Car in Storage
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When I put the Rallye on the road, the HDI will be put in storage for a year, how often should I start the HDI and how long for?
Cheers
Don't need to start it often, every 6 months maybe and run it up to temp, that's about 3 hours on a HDi lol....it'll be fine tbh.

Let the battery off, leave the handbrake off (in gear) and I cant see any problems.

Though I don't see why you'd store a HDi for that length of time? Why not sell it and use the money to fix the Rallye when it breaks.
(25-04-2014, 09:16 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Don't need to start it often, every 6 months maybe and run it up to temp, that's about 3 hours on a HDi lol....it'll be fine tbh.

Let the battery off, leave the handbrake off (in gear) and I cant see any problems.

Though I don't see why you'd store a HDi for that length of time? Why not sell it and use the money to fix the Rallye when it breaks.

Ok thanks for the advice, its a sorted car so I want to keep it until I need to use a car for a daily, myself and the previous owners have spent a decent amount to get it up to a good standard (its been through the whole of our family to so its kinda special Tongue) The rallye is a weekend toy until I need to use a car (the HDI) for daily trips to and from work
I'd personally be looking at starting it every month, but that's just me.
Yeah I'd probably start it up once a month and let it get right up to temperature, moved it a couple of feet backwards and forwards to keep the clutch free as well, and so the tyres don't get flat spots from standing on one point for too long, and maybe jump up and down on the sills a few times so the beam doesn't seize. Also, dump some cat litter in a tray and leave it on the back seat, it'll catch any moisture in the air and help prevent mould forming on the interior fabrics.
(25-04-2014, 11:19 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I'd probably start it up once a month and let it get right up to temperature, moved it a couple of feet backwards and forwards to keep the clutch free as well, and so the tyres don't get flat spots from standing on one point for too long, and maybe jump up and down on the sills a few times so the beam doesn't seize. Also, dump some cat litter in a tray and leave it on the back seat, it'll catch any moisture in the air and help prevent mould forming on the interior fabrics.

What he said. Wink
what I used to do in the past with the metro, and I still do if its not been used for a week,
I wind the windows down too just to let the air thru the car before I start it. Then start the car and let it tick over for about 30 mins and heaters on in the car, once the engine is up to temp. so it kills the dampness in the interior. I do have a battery cut off switch fitted to the car, so once its ran for a bit, I can just power off the battery,
I do move the car bit to stop it things going down.
also my mate put his saxo on axle stands to save the tyres and let suspension relax. he had a trickal charge to the battery.
Glad someone asked this as I was wondering it about my Rallye although when the engine comes out it probably won't move for a few months.
you'll do more damage starting it from cold once a month, just leave it.
(25-04-2014, 02:41 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]you'll do more damage starting it from cold once a month, just leave it.

So starting a cold car does more damage than leaving it standing, letting surface rust build up on the engine internals or in the waterways? Something we do every morning in winter? Sure about that?
Thanks for the replies guys!
I have heard what welshpug said before but i think it just comes down to personal opinion and what each person would do, im just wonderign what everyone would do if they were in the same situation
No problem Dum-Dum Tongue
Not digging at anyone (WelshPug) but that regardless of what anyone says I'd personally start my car at least once every one-two months whether it causes more damage or not..

At least I know nothing seizing up then.

That was the case with my scrapper ph1 DT and the engines still sweet now.
id have it on stands,
leaving it for that amount of time on the tyres they would get a flat on them.

then come time to startdriving it again, id be looking at all new fluids
Haven't started the minis engine in over a year and a half. :o oops
Tbf after a year and half if check it's still got oil in as we know how they like to leave there mark lol

Echo what most people say start it up every so often upto temp

I'd leave the windows up with absorbsnt grains in the car leaving the window open just let's more moisture in

And get it on stands
Engines out ready for a rebuild so I'm not fussed. Sat with a blown head gasket for two years before i got round to checking it wasn't siezed . cars now done engine needs to be built
(25-04-2014, 02:45 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-04-2014, 02:41 PM)welshpug Wrote: [ -> ]you'll do more damage starting it from cold once a month, just leave it.

So starting a cold car does more damage than leaving it standing, letting surface rust build up on the engine internals or in the waterways? Something we do every morning in winter? Sure about that?

To echo what Liam said, that doesn't sound right at all mate.

My car gets started once a month.

Not that its in storage lol Thats just when it wants to work Rofl
ive bought a chemical dehumidifier that sits on the floor in the 6
it is suprising howmuch water that pulls out the insides of the car
Jack it up, take the battery out and trickle it now and again / use in another car, leave windows ajar, then give it a full service when you come back to it in however long, be fine.
I fire up my S16 every weekend and run it upto temp / move it around the drive just too keep it eager.
Mine has sat on the driveway for 2 weeks while I'm waiting on my pay out, got it up to temp yesterday, quick 30 seconds up the road to make sure everything gets some movement then back on the drive. Don't really like leaving them any longer than that.
Only just realised my beamers been on the drive 4 months and not started it once lol
(26-04-2014, 09:39 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Only just realised my beamers been on the drive 4 months and not started it once lol

Hope it's not a Nikasil engine!
Think the ZR went over 6 months without a start last time, started first turn of the key....well after a new battery anyway lol.
Just tried it fired straight up. Missed the roar of a 6 pot
(26-04-2014, 10:57 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Think the ZR went over 6 months without a start last time, started first turn of the key....well after a new battery anyway lol.

You have a zr too?

I ardly start my 6. Only occasionally, dont want it running too much cos ill die of fumes in garage.
(26-04-2014, 12:26 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-04-2014, 10:57 AM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]Think the ZR went over 6 months without a start last time, started first turn of the key....well after a new battery anyway lol.

You have a zr too?

I ardly start my 6. Only occasionally, dont want it running too much cos ill die of fumes in garage.

Speechless No chance lol! Confused

It's step Dads ZR. He has a company car so it never moves...
Fair enough.
Should introduce him to lolsteve, Rover fwends lol
I found a guide on the metro owners forum about putting the car in storage for the winter. , its in pdf format, PM me your email and I will send it to you.
Pages: 1 2