What is 'normal' handling..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is 'normal' handling..
.. for a standard 1.9 Dturbo setup in decent condition like? Compared to a '6.

I *THINK* the shocks on front are from a '6 as ride height appears similiar at front, the rear has defo been adjusted but only by a bit - i.e. sensibly. No idea about rear dampers or arbs/torsion bars and as i haven't driven a car with proper gti6 setup, i have nothing to compare against.. guess i would have to measure..

Although, the handling is what i'd class as responsive and 'tight'. Little roll, and sharp turn in (somewhat reduced since the 283mm discs.. but still gd!), i have noticed the rear steps out quite nicely but rather too easily, not neccessarily under lifting off accelerator - just under sharp cornering while on power? Would this indicate knackered passive steer bushes thingys? There is no play in rear, camber is fine too.

How thick should the arbs be? I'll stick a picture up shortly. Any thoughts welcomed.
[Image: brokendown-1-1-1.jpg]

Dturbo GT2259s build thread;
http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-3692.html

Daily driver; 330d Msport (doesn't blow up!)
Thanks given by:
Could well be the rear bushes from the sound of it if the rest of the beam is okay.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:Could well be the rear bushes from the sound of it if the rest of the beam is okay.

Mmh, i'll jack the rear up and have a look. The other thing is, when changing direction i.e. entering/coming off roundabouts, the back end feels 'loose' which supports the knackered bush idea.

Am i right in thinking the dampers mainly help initial turn in on cornering? So if the rear dampers are gone, it would lead to a skittish/wondering rear end? I have also noticed that if entering a speed bump at >15mph, the front bounces up with little dampening effect. Is that due to stiffness of springs or again, knackered shocks?

Thanks given by:
Yeah, they're working harder on body control on entry/exit of a corner, you'd probably notice the body pitching over quite quickly with tired dampers though. Although the front doesn't sound too brilliant, if you've lost compression damping on one front strut that could give the same effect.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
Rippthrough Wrote:Yeah, they're working harder on body control on entry/exit of a corner, you'd probably notice the body pitching over quite quickly with tired dampers though. Although the front doesn't sound too brilliant, if you've lost compression damping on one front strut that could give the same effect.

Ah right, cheers. So that's that then, suspension needs an overhaul :| Will check bushes first though.

I have some amazing ( :roll: ) raceland coilies from my old 206 that could go on, not that they will fair much better! I understand the rear 206 dampers do not fit the 306 however as i have some ok spax ones.

I have to say, the car doesn't handle bad at all considering suspension is a bit tired, actually quite impressed - i'd love to see what the chasis could do on a well setup example!

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Estate handling mods Tabbiss 2 1,830 24-10-2019, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Scary rear handling! plugy 11 4,120 15-06-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: plugy
  Dreadful Handling JTaylor2005 39 6,699 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM
Last Post: Paul_13