Cat D accident repair?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cat D accident repair?
So me and Zakk (ozonehostile) fitted my new bumper today. Took a few hours given that I found my cars past involved some nsf damage. Bent inner wing and slam panel which had been cut up to keep the headlights fitted, proved fitting the new bumper an absolute ball ache. Hpi check when I first bought the car said nothing about it and first I've ever noticed anything like this but the car is noticeably shorter on the near side compared to offside with the front off. Guessing this woulda been classed as cat d damage by an insurance company due to difficult or irreversible damage, but given it hasn't got it on a history check then I'm guessing it's been repaired and sold on after a low speed collision.

Result is new slam panel a lot of hammering In the wing and the outer wing not lining up with the lights, and the bumper fitting eventually. Anyone else had anything like this happen to them?

Oh and cheers again to Zakk. My manstain hdi seems to be the biggest problem in all cars I've owned Sad
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
I think every 306 I have owned was at one point front ended.

Not badly, just means the grille sits at a funny angle to the bumper.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
If it was damaged and not claimed for then it won't have a market against it
Thanks given by:
That car is the vain of my life haha, its been pretty much rebuilt over the last year and nothing ever goes right.

with the front bumper removed you can see the n/s inner wing is noticeably shorter, not the nicest thing to find when taking your car apart Sad

i've managed to hammer it forward enough so that the holes line up on a new bumper and a replacement ph3 slam panel i had lying around, but like rob said, the wing and bonnet don't sit flush to the car and now we know why Sad
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Yeah, as above, just means it wasn't recorded/declared to the insurers. This is why the 'write off' part of the HPI is fairly useless tbh lol.
Thanks given by:
Shit deal! But most 306s are getting this way now! My last one, the grill didn't fit properly, had to flex it to get it to fit
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
There's more cars like this out there than people know, the unit next to my work does 4/5 cars a month that are big time damaged but are unrecorded so still worth full sticker price if repaired properly, it's a shame some people don't repair them properly tho!! Undecided haha
Thanks given by:
Mines had NSF damage and I never would have knew if i never fitted my morrettes. I got told it was cat d when I bought it ^top bloke Smile but didn't know where, now I know but the slam panel and all that is straight so I suppose it got sorted properly
[Image: attachment.php?aid=9919]
Thanks given by:
Both of the 306s I currently have have got front end damage, the HDI more so as the bonnet scrubs the wing on the NS and has got a rather large gap on the OS when I stand a distance away from the car it looks cross eyed, and the bumper or inner arch linings haven't been attached. Oh and the radiator doesn't clip in (on a wonk) seems to be the case with most I looked at!
Thanks given by:
Well I'm not overly bothered just never get it looking mint unless I have it jigged like Luke suggested to me.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Serious Accident to member Day666 13 3,114 06-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Lwilliams
  Ace Cafe Accident Niall 32 5,601 11-01-2016, 07:53 AM
Last Post: procta
  slight accident thebluepearl 22 3,913 25-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Last Post: Moonpie