Suspension Knocking

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suspension Knocking
Just thought I'd ask on here before pulling my car apart..

The passenger side front strut and also the rear suspension make a horrible knock noise when going over road bumps, the front knock is made worse if steering is engaged at slow speed.

Any ideas to what this may be?

Or even what tests I can do to determine where the fault is?
Thanks given by:
Could be a drop link or the strut top mount. If the rear suspension is knocking over bumps i would have a look from behind and see if you can see any camber, could be refurb beam time.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
The drop links seem fine, I couldn't make them budge by hand.. Just a case of replacing the top mount and seeing if that fixes it?

From behind all looks straight, no camber that I can see.

If I replace the top mount will the tracking need be done? Never done it on a 306, only a MK3 Golf..
Thanks given by:
Hmmm im not sure there, personally i wouldnt of thought so, unless the top mounts do alot more flexing than i thought.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Might get a friendly garage to diagnose the problem and then fix it myself.

Just a pain not having that car for a day or two.
Thanks given by:
Jack the front up yank the wheel up, if the whole strut goes up or makes a clonking noise you know its that.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I just changed both my top mounts, and i got the tracking done afterwards ( always do if i change any suspension component ) and it was miles out, so i would suggest that you get it checked afterwards, most places nowadays will check it for free and only charge if it needs adjusting.
Thanks given by:
Tracking will always need adjusting unless it's only been done like a month ago...that's how they get away with a 'free' check. Dodgy National tyres are doing tracking for £15 though atm.

As for the knocking, if its worse with the steering turned, could well be the track rod end. Have you tried grabbing the wheel to re-create the knock? Side to side knock is likely to be the TRE. Top mounts would have to be really worn to cause knocking, so it's not likely, unless they've been fitted wrong as in titch's case! Also, check the wishbone bushes and bottom ball joint.

Rear knock is likely to be the beam mounts though they aren't easy to diagnose.
Thanks given by:
Jack the car up, if the beam stays on the ground its nearly time for replacement. Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Right I know this is an old thread, but I have only just had some time to start working on the car.

The drop links have been replaced, along with the wishbones as they were knackered. But the loud knocking is still there!!!

I cant seem to find any knocking when I have the car jacked up, so does anyone have any pointers?

The knocking is now caused by driving normally over small bumps, humps and other road imperfections.
Thanks given by:
Have you checked the track rod/rod end?
Could be the strut itself if the damper has lost its oil and isn't dampening the return stroke of the spring.

As for the back if you get a torch and go under the back its easy enough to see the general condition of the rubber mounts. If they are the originals they will likely need replacing.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is your arch liner secured properly, if not, is it flapping about when you go over bumps?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies, I will check the arch liner, as for the track rod ends, I have checked for play but no luck.

I was thinking about replacing the whole strut next. Thanks
Thanks given by:
(05-12-2014, 10:47 AM)jackmiller30 Wrote: Thanks for the replies, I will check the arch liner, as for the track rod ends, I have checked for play but no luck.

I was thinking about replacing the whole strut next. Thanks

If you take it off and remove the spring I would have thought you'd be able to tell if there is a problem with the shock. May be worth checking before buying a new one.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As this is on the nearside front the bottom ball joint hole has a habbit of going oval for some reason when the cars jacked up the play/wear dosnt always show up just remember there are two size hubs used on the 306s.
Thanks given by:
What about top mount failure? ?

Try lock to lock stationery and see if you can hear anything.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rear Suspension fettled - still a knocking noise! (ZX) beko1987 4 1,428 17-08-2015, 01:53 PM
Last Post: beko1987
  Knocking suspension Nathan1305 9 2,205 23-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Last Post: dantheman51838
  Knocking sounds from rear suspension Stratocaster26 9 2,129 21-04-2014, 03:45 PM
Last Post: daveylennon93