HDI engine cover clips

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI engine cover clips
Why are they so poor?

Don't know if I'm not fitting them right but they barely hold the cover on since I removed them.

Do they just press and turn?

I've seen there are some washer/nut mods available. Anyone done this?
Thanks given by:
Never even owned a hdi but they must be shit because theres loads of those stud and wingnut kits on ebay for them!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
They are a shit design, which only weakens and gets worse over time! Even when you can get them to stay on they don't hold the cover tightly any more so it rattles around. All you really need to swap to wingnuts is a piece of threaded bar in place of the current little 'posts', as above though, ebay do kits anyway.

No idea why they didn't use push fit rubber bushes as found on superior engine covers...Golfs and Vectra's for a start. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Mine are fine they just push on.

Just use a threaded stud, rubber tube as a washer and nut. My dad did it on his 406 hdi.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
A lot of people are now using these, as they are more sturdy:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200974121246?s...1439.l2649

I've just fitted them to my 406 HDi, and they are a whole lot better.

Top them off with 6mm dome head cap nuts and washers.
Thanks given by:
At least u still have something to clip 2 mine only has 1 rubber left so the studs are on the horizon for me for sure
Thanks given by:
I done the mod with some threaded m6 bar, m6 penny washers, m6 nylock nuts and m6 wingnuts for ease of removal....

[Image: jyhamage.jpg]
Thanks given by:
just replace with new ones from a dealer, they've lasted ten years so they aren't that bad! typically damaged by cretins just yanking them off in garages.

plus misfires and worn out engine mounts add to the vibration.
Thanks given by:
Takes 30 mins max to cut a few bits of bar and stick a few nuts/washers on it, costs less than the standard mounts and is a solid for good Smile
Thanks given by:
Just remvoe cover, and leave it in the bin? Its only in the way everytime you want to work on it anyway Wink
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Awh but the wing nuts make it easy took off/on Wink
Thanks given by:
some of us actually notice the sound deadening they offer on a standard engine that's working nicely, not that you know what a std engine is these days eh Darren :p
Thanks given by:
Does it acaully make a noticable difference?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Also don't forget that the original ones are like the ones that I pointed out above, in that they are rubber mounted, meaning that your cover will not rest basically on top of the engine if you were to use threaded bar, unless you can make some sort of spacer to prevent it doing so.
Thanks given by:
Aye you put a nut on the threaded bar and set the height wherever u want, then put a washer ontop of the nut and then set your cover on wish a wingnut at the top
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Door Card Clips Toms306 2 1,470 15-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Last Post: Toms306
Question removing wingmirror caps without breaking clips??? Mattcheese31 21 5,804 10-01-2015, 10:41 AM
Last Post: cully
  Heatshield clips Razorback_Rob 6 2,364 13-09-2014, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Toms306