Forged Rods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged Rods
^Agreed, just wondering if anyone had seen the 2 sets side by side for comparison....
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
I saw these on ebay. I dunno if any use if the company would do some for XUDs or if they are any good at all but I fort I may as well pop it on here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-RS...5d3d932bc7
Thanks given by:
(01-12-2013, 06:40 PM)Frosty Wrote: I saw these on ebay. I dunno if any use if the company would do some for XUDs or if they are any good at all but I fort I may as well pop it on here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-306-RS...5d3d932bc7

Location of item Hong Kong not sure I would trust them even if they did make them.

Thanks given by:
If those eBay rods will fit the XUD someone should just man up and get a set ...
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
They wont.

Pervs all have small wrist pins.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
naah, diesels have big heavy ones, petrol engines are normal sized :p

those rods iirc will have a 22mm gudgeon pin, and they are just like what PEC will sell you for about £500.
Thanks given by:
I contacted the company advertising on ebay

Turn around is 25-35 days + shipping of 7 days and they require a 30% deposit.

Sounds like a bargain assuming they're up to spec, worth a punt?
Thanks given by:
Any other reviews for this company on the web anywhere ?
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2013, 06:22 AM)Dave Wrote: Any other reviews for this company on the web anywhere ?

^ this, I'd be interested but not if they're shite lol
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Theres a 4 page thread over on the mg rover forums

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=406766

Looks like good feedback tbh, initial problems that were then rectified based on a redesign.

The drawback is the distance involved, so any issues incur a bigger time delay in getting things sorted out. But if Farndon aren't the quickest or easiest company to deal with then its horses for courses.

Only thing that bothers me is the moral issues of sub contracting engineering out of the uk, when we should really be supporting it.

Back to the trilemma!
Thanks given by:
The end result looked good, but I would have a few concerns.

We might have to pay import duty, VAT and a handling fee when they come into the country, in which case they might not be so much of a bargain.

The folk on the MG forum seem happy with the end result after the various issues were sorted on a new design. However, if we are ordering a number of these they would really need to be correct from the get go.

We don't have any evidence of what sort of strength these rods are. Without knowing a whole lot about the subject, I'm sure that all "forged rods" are not equal.
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
Agree with the outsourcing dilemma and also the reputation of these types of companies from that part of the world.
Also is the cost of return shipping if there is a problem, like someone in his feedback.
Having said all that if I can get something which IS as good as a branded item but half the cost then it's a no brainer....
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
If a group buy does come about im in Smile
Thanks given by:
if a group buy for a reputable company at a decent prices goes ahead i would be interested
Thanks given by:
Can I just point out that rods in XUDs are forged from the factory....

'Forged' is not the standard to go by!!!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I can also add that I've opened quite a few XUD engines, and if you ask me, the standard rods seem very beefy for the 1.9 TD, and the 2.1 TD ones are immense with a 30mm wrist pin.

Do anyone have any pics of the uprated rods talked about here?

I would guess standard ones with uprated bolts if applicable is a good route to go?
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 09:17 AM)B1ack_Mi16 Wrote: I can also add that I've opened quite a few XUD engines, and if you ask me, the standard rods seem very beefy for the 1.9 TD, and the 2.1 TD ones are immense with a 30mm wrist pin.

Do anyone have any pics of the uprated rods talked about here?

I would guess standard ones with uprated bolts if applicable is a good route to go?

you would guess wrong . . . lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Lol, yeah true that, but prob easier than speccing out that we're after some 4340 derived forged H beam rods that are about as big and beefy as clearances will allow, have gone through some decent heat treatment processes and shot peening and are balanced to within +-1g (both big and little ends).

Based on that kind of spec who here is seriously interested in a set?
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 09:22 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Lol, yeah true that, but prob easier than speccing out that we're after some 4340 derived forged H beam rods that are about as big and beefy as clearances will allow, have gone through some decent heat treatment processes and shot peening and are balanced to within +-1g (both big and little ends).

I am but for a DW 10, so with the different bearing cut outs.

Unless the xud type will fit properly. Ruan??

Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 09:26 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote:
(17-12-2013, 09:22 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Lol, yeah true that, but prob easier than speccing out that we're after some 4340 derived forged H beam rods that are about as big and beefy as clearances will allow, have gone through some decent heat treatment processes and shot peening and are balanced to within +-1g (both big and little ends).

I am but for a DW 10, so with the different bearing cut outs.

Unless the xud type will fit properly. Ruan??

one would suppose that if HDI rods fit an XUD then surely it works the other way round as well? . .although i don't know for sure . .Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I'll be speccing mine on dw10 shells, so good for xud or dw10 ...
Thanks given by:
Ideal. Then I'll have a set unless its stupid money Smile

Thanks given by:
I'm in Big Grin getting excited now lol
Thanks given by:
Just to add, there needs to be a comeback on them if we're going with the ebay company. Just in case they're not up to spec.

Thanks given by:
Just to add my 2p, wouldn't it be better to buy one single set as a club, or consortium of a group of people so no one is spending silly money to find out they are cheese. Then if they are good, then could go from there.

Just saying that if 10 people suddenly buy them and they are duds, thats alot of wasted money if you're dealing with some doods in china with a hammer and anvil.

If it were me, i'de get 8 people of whatever, and put 50 quid into a pot, and see how they fit in a block, then whoever block it is just buys everyone else out, you get the idea, but this is the sort of stuff that would have to be sorted on quite a personal level.
Thanks given by:
I can highly recommend Pauter. They made rods for my 2.2 T16 engine in spec. 4340 chromoly.
http://pauter.com/parts/rods/

Also I would think that if pure strength is what you are after, what is the point in using H-beam? Won't a strong Pauter I-beam be better, and easier to change dimensions to beef up the cross sectional area. Probably easier to machine? I though H-beam mainly was to get a light rod with reasonable good resistance to bending.

My Pauter ones with the XUD11 crank and wiseco pistons I'm using in the 2.2 T16.
[Image: CIMG2499.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I beam is a way better idea if weight etc isn't so much of an issue. Far better resistance to bending seeing as the additional strength is right where you want it, in the correct orientation on the rod.
JP
Thanks given by:
(17-12-2013, 03:55 PM)jammapic Wrote: I beam is a way better idea if weight etc isn't so much of an issue. Far better resistance to bending seeing as the additional strength is right where you want it, in the correct orientation on the rod.

James if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for yours in the xud?

I may speak to the company that you and darren went to as im not so worried about time...
Thanks given by:
james didn't have forged rods? not unless he did for that engine he was building, first ive known.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mine were from Farndon engineering, but XUD11 big end with XUD9 little end.

Padge, they were for the 2.2 motor.
JP
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FORGED XUD - new oil pump? dr_jekyll 2 1,264 30-01-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Forged Xud vs M-HDI pugtk 15 5,347 28-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  forged rods xud vinny 19 5,584 26-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Dave