Forged Rods

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged Rods
Following on from here so that thread doesnt get spammed any further (Tom may wish to re run the group buy at somepoint...)

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-14926-page-5.html

For me, getting forged rods is a must. Yea, the hdi rods may be ok up to 200bhp but I am aiming higher than that really. Plus taking this setup apart and putting it back together is a faff and preferably I would rather not keep doing it. - "Do it cheap, do it twice". When Darren was running this setup I'm sure he managed to chuck an hdi rod through the block, the thought of that ending up buried in my charger having already passed through the pump is not a nice thing to keep you off boost lol
I think for people who are running the 11mm, td04 & fmic the reason is more piece of mind, eliminating a known weak point in an engine can never be a bad thing. Especially if a few of us club together and go for a group buy.
Yes there are a few who have not gone forged and made good power like Dave (iirc) and so far Tom/ZX but they have the space and patience to keep ripping the block apart, I for one don't!!!
I believe that JP did run forged, and Tom now want to as well!

So Padge, here is a suitable thread for you to post up some details on the company that you have in mind!!!

Plus any thoughts/comments

Smile
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Off the top of my head I would think it might be worth approaching a company who has already done a set of hdi rods, they should still have the plans on file which is half the battle speccing these up and getting the tech drawings made up. Should work out cheaper that way.
Thanks given by:
Agreed. I know of a company but they wont do a group discount Sad

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Keeping my eyes on this , I am overly game for going forged...

Would we not get away with just having arp end cap bolts? I'm not quite sure what actually goes on these when they spit a rod but I would of thought it's the bolts that stretch when we let of the throttle from high speed and high rpm , end cap comes loose and then obviously we all know what happens. Do the standard rods physically bend and snap or rupture ?
Thanks given by:
Ive never seen one thats failed "due" to a big end bolt letting go, always from the rod simply bending over time / buckling over at the wrist pin end.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(27-11-2013, 07:10 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Ive never seen one thats failed "due" to a big end bolt letting go, always from the rod simply bending over time / buckling over at the wrist pin end.

So it's just down to fatigue then?
Thanks given by:
I would get them sorted through Farndon Engineering, they are top. Slow delivery but good product.

I personally would not be entertaining rods for £400ish... Seems a good way to watch £400 go up in smoke....

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2013, 08:37 AM)jammapic Wrote: I would get them sorted through Farndon Engineering, they are top. Slow delivery but good product.

I personally would not be entertaining rods for £400ish... Seems a good way to watch £400 go up in smoke....

JP

This company make a fantastic product, but are possibly, THE worst company I have ever dealt with in my entire life...absulutly dier.

That said, the product is spot on...which is the important factor for me.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I'd be interested in a set of forged rods, come beggining 2014, towards the middle once things pick back up at work, however i'm sure i can scrape some spare cash together.
Just finding a place to make a set that would be interested in a group buy.
Thanks given by:
^It was them I rang, no chance of a group discount there.

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2013, 10:37 AM)londondan86 Wrote: ^It was them I rang, no chance of a group discount there.

How much were they after for a set then?
Thanks given by:
Man, it's such a trilemma!

Does my head in when companies are a pita to deal with but have amazing things to offer.

[Image: Project-triangle.svg]
Thanks given by:
I'd look at using DW10CTED4 or DW10CB rods, its a 170 bhp engine as standard, and they are cheaper than aftermarket rods, different part number to the bone stock DW10's.
Thanks given by:
Isn't the 170bhp a 2.2 hdi? The hdi 16 is 136 standard ...

edit, wow the dw10 c from 201 onwards on 163 bhp, impressive
Thanks given by:
I went for the fast and cheap option all the time haha, no reliability for me
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How many blocks did you total in the end again Dave? :p
Thanks given by:
6 lol, on the 7th now though that should last! Missing derv blocks and daydreaming about twin charging a dw10 with some chronic poppers!
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
He must be on at least his 4th..!?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2013, 11:01 AM)welshpug Wrote: I'd look at using DW10CTED4 or DW10CB rods, its a 170 bhp engine as standard, and they are cheaper than aftermarket rods, different part number to the bone stock DW10's.

This is a good point, there is a 2.0 HDi 163bhp engine as fitted to the 407. Has anyone considered using these? List price from the dealer is £465 for a full set, can't see any on ebay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_EW/DW_engine#EW10
'95 Peugeot 405 GLX with XU10J4RS and ITB's
'97 Peugeot 406 1.9TD with TD04
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
For £465 you might as well pay an extra £200 and get a forged set imo.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
No, I wouldn't plonk that amount on them (although my dealer would do me them around £400), but sooner of later a second hand set will turn up on ebay I would expect?
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
Just go look at the part numbers on Service Box, you'll notice that XUD9s, DW10 8vs and DW10 16v (136) all have the same part number now...

This says to me that you can't guarantee what any engine you pick up off ebay will have - they seem to be an incremental upgrade thing.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
afaik the 163 is a different rod.

the 2.2 is 200 bhp.
Thanks given by:
They only forge one set of rods at a time in the factory, so once they start with a new rod, thats then what gets fitted to every motor of that class in production from what I can see...

Which could well mean, that some of the later built XUDS have dw10 style rods in them i guess, altho ive never stripped one to find that myself.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
If you look in the other thread I've posted, I have a late model DHX which has come with DW10 rods from the factory.
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:
Ally, I believe that to be the same as my very late DHX Xantia motor I had in the 306.
JP
Thanks given by:
Possibly, they are the later ones they made so that could well be the case.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
kinda makes sense jp, my dhx was from an R reg xantia, ran 40psi of boost for about 8 months, engines still fine now.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well I have an early D8A so the likelihood is mine are made of wensleydale! Interesting that the later ones had the DW10 rods though, another example of the peugeot parts bin I suppose!

As for the DW10CTED4 rods, do they fit and are they an upgrade to the normal DW10's? Also is availability, sod all on ebay and there's no point spending hundreds at a dealer.......

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
(29-11-2013, 04:28 PM)padge Wrote: kinda makes sense jp, my dhx was from an R reg xantia, ran 40psi of boost for about 8 months, engines still fine now.

I would be surprised Padge, the DW10 didn't start to appear in vehicles until '99 I believe, so I doubt parts of it would be fitted to an engine that age. If you ever find out it would be useful to know.

(29-11-2013, 07:24 PM)londondan86 Wrote: Well I have an early D8A so the likelihood is mine are made of wensleydale! Interesting that the later ones had the DW10 rods though, another example of the peugeot parts bin I suppose!

As for the DW10CTED4 rods, do they fit and are they an upgrade to the normal DW10's? Also is availability, sod all on ebay and there's no point spending hundreds at a dealer.......

Wish I'd bloody noticed before I bought rods, shells then ripped the block to bits. I could have used it as is Censored

I would expect that as they are in engines that output 250lb/ft torque they would have to be stronger. I haven't heard any stories of them chucking rods. A quick read turns up that they are fitted to the 407, 407 coupe and C5 VTR after 2008 (and no doubt many others if you have time to read up). If you see one in a breakers yard, might be worth investigating......
'05 RenaultSport 182 Cup
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FORGED XUD - new oil pump? dr_jekyll 2 1,264 30-01-2022, 04:17 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Forged Xud vs M-HDI pugtk 15 5,344 28-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Last Post: darrenjlobb
  forged rods xud vinny 19 5,581 26-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Last Post: Dave