Cully's spare Gti6 engine

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cully's spare Gti6 engine
(23-09-2013, 09:01 PM)Grant Wrote: The gaskets are normally a fiber body, with metal linings around the bores etc.

Has the head been skimmed? That will determine the thickness you will need.

Nope. On the GTi they are MLS as standard from pug (hence the £85 price Sad ) but a lot of replacements are fibrous.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 09:00 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: You can see they're old gouges definitely. Can't understand the person who whipped off that head, saw those pistons and just stuck a new head on...

Marks like that aren't going to have a detrimental effect on the engine. The only thing it could have done, as Niall previously said, was knocked the big end bearings.

As long s the CR is the same you could have your face engraved in it if you wanted to lol

Wouldn't fancy those hot spots mind...
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 09:10 PM)Grant Wrote:
(23-09-2013, 09:00 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: You can see they're old gouges definitely. Can't understand the person who whipped off that head, saw those pistons and just stuck a new head on...

Marks like that aren't going to have a detrimental effect on the engine. The only thing it could have done, as Niall previously said, was knocked the big end bearings.

As long s the CR is the same you could have your face engraved in it if you wanted to lol

Yeah I know the dinged crowns won't make much difference, it's the underlying damage I'd be worried about. Can't imagine that sudden sharp shock was good for the rods either...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
All seems interesting. That engine pulled bloody well though when it was running.
I had a cambelt snap in the 205, which snapped the cam and bent 1 valve. Whacked on a new head and made 190bhp 3 days later on the dyno!
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
You never know, it could have had a bottom end rebuild too, the person may have never bothered changing the pistons, as what's te point?

I guess we shall have to watch this space!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 09:22 PM)THE_Liam Wrote:
(23-09-2013, 09:10 PM)Grant Wrote:

The only known issue here is as i said, with the big end shells. Replace them and your good to go Smile

Yeah I know the dinged crowns won't make much difference, it's the underlying damage I'd be worried about. Can't imagine that sudden sharp shock was good for the rods either...
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Which end are you numbering 1?

Flywheel end or auxiliary end?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 10:28 PM)Ruan Wrote: Which end are you numbering 1?

Flywheel end or auxiliary end?

flywheel/gearbox end

Thanks given by:
heres a picture or two of the wire burs comming from the headgasket
do you think they would mess the valve seating up??

Thanks given by:
Are you sure that valve/piston damage is old as the valve cut outs are full of carbon and id expect that if there was going to be valve damage pre rebuild then the valves would hit the cut outs rather than missing because (i'm assuming) someone has badly cut the valve guides so they aren't at the angle they should be.
Thanks given by:
today ive cleand the workbench and the garage up a bit so ive got the head on the bench have taken out number 1 exhust valves and i have found carbon foulings on the seats the valves themselves look good!

i think this engine needs a damn good de carbon and a refresh
and it will be a good one Smile

Valve seats need lapping in but look good other than the carbon

Valves themselves look good other than the build up of carbon

what i need to know now is how do i know if the head has any meat left for skimming
how do you measure the original head hight or whats left of the head ????
Thanks given by:
There should be notches on the head that a machine shop will be able to tell if ιts got meat left on or ιs scrap bud
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Very interesting read this, got the head off mine today, well sort of need to get exhaust manifold off tho was hoping i could get the head out with it on and it turns out you carnt lol

Are the pistons supposed to be dead flat then? or have them cut outs on? or is it that they valves probably hit them in the past?

Thanks given by:
yes these pistons are flat with valve cutouts but if you look carefull you can also see previous valve contact

been a bit busy today on other things but i will get some more pictures of the casting marks ref head skimming depths
Thanks given by:
meanwhile in the kitchen!

Thanks given by:
thats sooo win!!!! going to but my wheels in the sink and wash them see how well that goes down with the mrs lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 05:37 PM)puglove Wrote: see how well that goes down with the mrs lol

I thought that about cullys head lol
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
maybe i should of waited till she went out Sad

next time il use the dishwasher Smile

hmm think im sleeping i the dog house tonight
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 05:49 PM)cully Wrote: hmm think im sleeping i the dog house tonight

But well worth it for the lolz

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 05:49 PM)cully Wrote: hmm think im sleeping i the dog house tonight

Your dog house is nearly the size of my actual house and has electric, cant complain really.
Thanks given by:
i do that quite often, and generally use up all the scouring pads and sponges getting to all the oily crap..lol

engine degreaser and an old dishwasher is an interesting idea though.. Smile
Project: Formula Peugeot
Thanks given by:
This thread will come in incredibly handy when I get round to replacing/rebuilding my engine! Keep this up with all the photos, this will be invaluable to me mate!
Thanks given by:
the sink trip didnt get all the crap off before i was thrown out!

so tomorrow im setting up the pressure washer in the new shower cubical while shes at work Big Grin

jokin!!

but will hit it with the pressure washer in the garden Wink
Thanks given by:
(05-10-2013, 07:47 PM)cully Wrote: the sink trip didnt get all the crap off before i was thrown out!

so tomorrow im setting up the pressure washer in the new shower cubical while shes at work Big Grin

jokin!!

but will hit it with the pressure washer in the garden Wink

Try autoglym engine cleaner. Worked well under my bonnet with minimal scrubbing.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah autoglym engine and machine cleaner is a favourite of mine, will even shift the EGR crap out a HDi manifold with minimal scrubbing
Thanks given by:
If you really don't like your dish washer soak the parts in engine degreaser then set the dish washer going on a hot wash, use rise aid too keeps everything shiney
Thanks given by:
tip i forgot to add when taking the valves out the head!

make yourself a board to hold the springs washers and valves it will help keep things organised for when you reasemble or grind the valves

so back to the head cleaning Big Grin

TRF solution and a pressure washer

jobs a good one dryed off with an airline then sprayed the valve seats with WD40 to stop them rusting before i send to the machine shop for checking
Thanks given by:
THem seats have definitely been cut in before!
Loving the progress with this. Im getting itchy fingers already with out a car to mess with. might have to get something lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
This is a really interesting read! I'm looking forward to the rest of your progress.

It's the sort of thing that could be used as a partial guide for head dismantling on the 6, and also for signs of wear and what to look for in terms of damage Smile
Thanks given by:
Whats not right:

Team Eaton

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cully's Bianca 6 R150 YVM cully 994 452,585 13-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Last Post: cully
  cully's XU10J4RS cully 11 5,093 30-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Last Post: welshpug
  Cully's Electric car ..T project cully 144 47,471 16-04-2016, 04:14 PM