its my turn to be ninja

Thanks given by:
Sell me your engine stand!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
you had the chance to buy it but missed out Tongue
Thanks given by:
cully you giving it an overhaul? I haven't followed any threads for a bit.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 07:13 AM)procta Wrote: cully you giving it an overhaul? I haven't followed any threads for a bit.

basicly i bought it with a busted head as a spares package for mine i wanted a Alternator
the offer was there for a complete engine and gearbox engine loom and ecu
so i bought it

i have started to strip it to see whats going on with the engine but i dont think the damage is terminal at the moment, i need to investigae it further but i think the engine is good Wink

so i might just refersh it and keep it for a good replacement motor gearbox ready to drop in

theres a big if yet though as i havent pined the timming points but i suspect they are ok Wink
Thanks given by:
hmmmmm!

well ive taken off the exhaust manifold and the valves look good,
i have taken off the inlet and.............. the valves look good!
but.
looking at the inlet on the back there is a resonator box this looks like it has exploded!

my theroey is poor idle irattic reving caused by cracked box
finished off by a blowback back fire into the inlet explaining the Bang!

i have also pinned the timing marks and they all line up and the engine turns over without any bad noises by hand with the plugs removed

my next task is to test the valves for sealing and the rings for leak by
this will prove if any valves are bent

to do this test i need to make an adapter from a spark plug, so i can apply compressed air to the cylinder, on the compresion stoke, with the flywheel locked,
if the air leaks from exhaust or inlet side valves arn't sealing
air leaking from sump rings worn (can be improved by a sqirt of engine oil in the bore to seal the rings)
Thanks given by:
Nice, when you gonna buy me an engine?
Thanks given by:
If the starters on cant you just stick a compression tester on it? Or do you want to do it controlled and slow?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 05:30 PM)Tom Wrote: If the starters on cant you just stick a compression tester on it? Or do you want to do it controlled and slow?

starter bolts to the gearbox and thats not connected to the engine ATM
Thanks given by:
Oh shit yeah my bad? Compression tester and spin it over with a breaker bar?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
It isn't the first time that one of the resonators has exploded on these engines and I doubt it will be the last
Thanks given by:
(21-09-2013, 07:53 PM)Tom Wrote: Oh shit yeah my bad? Compression tester and spin it over with a breaker bar?
What, on the head? lol
Thanks given by:
before i decide what im doing with the engine
i want to do the leakage test with the compressed air
then i need to find a few prices for gasket sets, seals,mains,crank bearings

idealy i would like to do a complete strip refresh,
but i may just do the seals that are leaking and tart up the block as a good spare
Thanks given by:
have made my pipe so i can inject compresed air

screwed it into the plug hole and compressed the cylinders in turn

have been through all four cylinders and the results are in...

cylinder 1 from gearbox end leaking on exhust valves very slightly
cylinder 2 from gearbox end leaking on exhust valves very slightly
Cylinder 3 from gearbox end leaking on exhust valves very slightly

the rest including cylinder 4 inlet and exhust valves and rings sound good with no leakage

so as of now the head needs lifting and the exhust valves on 1,2,3, need checking
they may only need to be re ground but we will see
Thanks given by:
How bad is the leaking?

I love how everyone is bitching that a GTi6 is converted to a Diesel... Yet you can bet your ass no one is bitching cause someone is breaking a GTi6?!

The fact that a CHRONIC backfire has blown the resonator apart says to me that there was something either significantly wrong with the injection/ignition system or the engine itself... You could have spent a significant quantity of time trying to figure what the cause and solution was...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 08:44 PM)Ruan Wrote: How bad is the leaking?

its very slight not much at all cylyinder will still hold pressure to turn the engine over on air, if you know what i mean

i will see if i can get hold of a compression tester later and spin the engine on a nut gun Wink
Thanks given by:
Rebuild it, put in in your '6, strap a huge blower on it. Job jobbed!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
taken readings with a compresion tester, using a socket on the pulley bolt and hand turning it over
cylinder 1. 4.5bar
cylinder 2. 4.5bar
cylinder 3. 6bar
cylinder 4. 8 bar

have now decided to take the head off the block to see if the valves are bent or have burned seats
i have taken the rocker covers off and the cams look good and clean no scoring but the cover bolts were a bitch to remove
Thanks given by:
(22-09-2013, 08:44 PM)Ruan Wrote: How bad is the leaking?

I love how everyone is bitching that a GTi6 is converted to a Diesel... Yet you can bet your ass no one is bitching cause someone is breaking a GTi6?!

The fact that a CHRONIC backfire has blown the resonator apart says to me that there was something either significantly wrong with the injection/ignition system or the engine itself... You could have spent a significant quantity of time trying to figure what the cause and solution was...

Pre-det could be something as simple as the tps unplugged or faulty. It doesn't necessarily mean chronic engine problems.
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
heads off
somethink tells me this has been done before as the head bolts were copper greased and i dont think they were very tight, going by reports of people breaking tools undooing them.
also the head gasket wernt stuck fast it came up easy

ive not looked at the head b cause i need to creat some room to lay the valves n stuff out

have a look at these pictures of the pistons and tell me what you think!

Thanks given by:
It must of been a snapper in a previous life then. If you checked the timing and all the pins went in, it couldnt of been that head that caused that piston damage. I reckon its snapped and someone has rebuilt the head them selves and looking at them compression figures, not too well!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
just remember the compresion figures are turning over by hand not on the starter
yes i agree with the snapper idea
all the half round marks, out outside the cutouts are on the inlet valves

but they look old marks that are carboned up

i think it has had a recon head as the alloy castings on the head have been sprayed silver including the cam seals
Thanks given by:
Interesting!!! I wouldn't have dared to take the head off the engine when it was running so I would've never known it's got a 'past'....
I hope it doesn't cause you any problems!
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 08:10 PM)MissTap_GTI6 Wrote: Interesting!!! I wouldn't have dared to take the head off the engine when it was running so I would've never known it's got a 'past'....
I hope it doesn't cause you any problems!

The only issue it can* cause is a failed bottom end due to damage to the big end bearings from when everything got mangled up. Not that it matters to cully because if he is refurbishing is, he will fit new bearings anyway!

*but thats very rare
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yeah deffo going with a past timing issue there. What I want to know though is if those groves on the pistons are on the inlet sude, whats causing your loss of pressure from the exhaust valves?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 08:48 PM)Grant Wrote: Yeah deffo going with a past timing issue there. What I want to know though is if those groves on the pistons are on the inlet sude, whats causing your loss of pressure from the exhaust valves?

If it was that head that had the belt go, i bet they fitted new valves but not guides. The valves would of contacted each other when it snapped so probably not seating properly.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(23-09-2013, 08:48 PM)Grant Wrote: Yeah deffo going with a past timing issue there. What I want to know though is if those groves on the pistons are on the inlet sude, whats causing your loss of pressure from the exhaust valves?

ive got a suspision that the head gasket has broken down

as when i took the gasket off very fine metal wires like burs wer comming from the gasket around the cylinder bores i suspect this has got blown out the exhust and cut the valve or seat or just stuck in theremaybe!

i will try to picture it tommorow as its a strange find

what are the gaskets made of normaly as this one looks metal laminated around a soft centre

also how do i determine what new gasket i need as i believe they come in differnt thicknesses?
Thanks given by:
You can see they're old gouges definitely. Can't understand the person who whipped off that head, saw those pistons and just stuck a new head on...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Machine shop shouls tell you once theyve skimmed it. Theres a reference point they can measure to see how much its been skimmed, then you can find out what hg youll need
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The gaskets are normally a fiber body, with metal linings around the bores etc.

Has the head been skimmed? That will determine the thickness you will need.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cully's Bianca 6 R150 YVM cully 994 451,680 13-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Last Post: cully
  cully's XU10J4RS cully 11 5,068 30-06-2016, 12:53 PM
Last Post: welshpug