2008 Liquid Yellow Renault Sport Megane R26

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2008 Liquid Yellow Renault Sport Megane R26
I haven't decided if I'm gonna sell it, keep it as a good example for Mazz, or strip it and track slag it yet. I've got time to think about it, but I'll probably be at FCS with a for sale sign in it's window. Makes me sad every time I think about this though, so I don't know if I'll actually be able to do it!

(21-05-2013, 10:38 AM)Arron Wrote: F*ck da hatorz!!!!

I like that

haha, cheers man Smile I don't mind people's opinions, I adore it no matter Big Grin It looks so amazing in the metal in that colour too. Bonkers bonkers car!! Big Grin
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 10:28 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: CAR: Fair enough,out of interest, what would you have got? I spent a really long time looking at what was out there. I didn't want to run a 2nd car as a sunshine car, so it had to be relatively comfortable and practical as a daily (i say relatively). It had to be powerful enough to stop me getting bored of it and modifying it, as I've been trying to move away from heavily modifying cars. It had to be 'relatively' economical. I can afford 20-25mpg as a daily. And my budget was really £8k tops. I discounted the Teg dc2 as too old and a bit too hardcore for a daily, and also a bit too much of a step sideways from a '6. DC5 is still too pricey, and it just looks a little chavvy. It's the wing... :/ BMW 330ci was a little on the thirsty side, not to mention BMW tax for parts etc. Mazda 3mps is still a bit expensive, and a fair chunk less economical than the Megane. And I prefer the Meg looks. BMW Z4, but again, thirsty side, the only one I want is the m-coupe, which is way out of my price range, and again bmw tax. Mazda Eunos was considered, but way too slow, so I'd end up modifying it. VW Corrado VR6 is too old, and vws rust. I'd seriously considered an s2k, but they're hideously uneconomical, very long geared for UK roads (top of 2nd and you're breaking all speed limits), and quite expensive to insure too... Also I'd only want the GT hardtop one, and they're still £9k+. Oh, and the timing chain is a front-end off job.. VERY expensive...

Exactly that really - a second car haha. I wouldn't have the space either even if I was financially able to do it.

Really don't know what I'd have looked at, the DC5 is a bit too chavvy as you say as is the DC2, neither of which would be overly fun every single day. Boosted is a great way to go for day-to-day, since the more highly-strung (like the 2ZZ in my Celica) take loads of winding up and it gets tiresome quick. Oh look, another nobber in a MKiv Golf, guess I'll have to drop 3 COGS and show him what for. It's just not good for your elbows, especially if you're a full time wanker like myself.

I'd seriously have considered something bigger like an older M5 with the V8, such an awesome car. MPG would be about what you've got, but it's a frikkin' V8! I'd probably have ran a mile at the servicing costs and ended up with something similar to what you have.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
lol Yeah that's it though isn't it. You've just prettymuch summarised my thought process for months now.

I'd also considered Evos, but running costs, Evo tax, servicing intervals etc, and image all aren't great. Plus I couldn't actually deal with Ruan shouting "ACTIVE YAW CONTROL!!!!!!" at me everytime I rang him lol

I'd also been considering (in very small writing) Scoobies..... but the image is just awful, and the awd means you're going so silly-fast when you're near the limit you can only EVER have a bit of fun with it on track... Plus running costs, propensity to shit turbos, previous 'enthusiasts' trying to be colin mcrae in them means it's hard to find a straight one...

I'd briefly entertained the idea of a Caterham 7 as a second car, selling the '6 and getting an hdi as a daily, but again it wouldn't stop me modifying. I just know I'd be buying intercoolers and clutches and maps for the hdi instead...

Meh anyway, I've definitely made the right decision in my head to get the Megane Big Grin I adore it!
Thanks given by:
That's all that matters Wink

Love Scoobies, but would have to be a 2-door coupe for me (P1!!) and what you get for your money isn't great, interiors are very drab! Although the performance is on another level. My dream car is an FD3S rx-7, but I'm pretty sure everyone is well-versed in the reliability record of the 13B...they're also tiny little things!

At least you avoided VAG, Ford and Vauxhall - anything is better than falling into the clutches of one of those manufacturers!!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Ha ha I actually like em! They are good cars would never have one though! Prefer older cars
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 11:14 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: and the awd means you're going so silly-fast when you're near the limit you can only EVER have a bit of fun with it on track...

Pah, watch those videos I took on track at Mallory and tell me Scoobies are good through the corners... French, FWD ftw! Smile
JP
Thanks given by:
wow, this was a pretty ninja purchase.

ive always quite fancied one tbh, youl have to give me a ride in it to make my mind up on them Wink hintity hint hint haha
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:

Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Good to see you've not got 306 blinkers Smile

Epic engines in these, my mate I come to FCS with convoys with me in a blue one of these.

They are good cars but having seen how badly they crash, i'd never buy one.

Even my mates blue one handbrake failed, rolled down a hill into a car & it folded the front end up!

Good choice though, again not my cup of tea if I was spending £8k on a car, but its decent to see something different than the typical every day Leon Cupra's & VAG's etc.

Nice one Smile
Thanks given by:
Yellow car, must be....

[Image: adahe5a3.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The look on Eds face was priceless yesterday when he noticed someone had keyed (read, stuck a bit of gaffa tape to his car) his car

Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 03:38 PM)Niall Wrote: The look on Eds face was priceless yesterday when he noticed someone had keyed (read, stuck a bit of gaffa tape to his car) his car

I so wish I'd been there when he saw it! lmao

Having been at hand when Scott was sat in the drivers seat, it does sound like an epic little motor tbf, but as Niall says, DONT SCRATCH IT! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ohh i might just have the video of this ninja

Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Hate you guys so much!
Thanks given by:
I have to say Ed, I'd have had a good Corrado VR6 and 5 grand in the bank rather than this, I hate the look of them, and I just hate Renaults in general, but I've had a go in one belonging to a mate from work and they are VERY quick and a proper laugh in the bends, and I know what you mean about the ride, very firm but somehow quite comfortable, and very well damped. They fall into that category of "a bit too fast to properly thrash on the road" for me, that was why the Skoda bored me, because to get near its limits I had to be doing silly speeds. A 205 GTI with 130bhp in 900kg is more for me. Does look like a bloody minter though, and strangely I quite like that colour...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 03:20 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Good to see you've not got 306 blinkers Smile

Epic engines in these, my mate I come to FCS with convoys with me in a blue one of these.

They are good cars but having seen how badly they crash, i'd never buy one.

Even my mates blue one handbrake failed, rolled down a hill into a car & it folded the front end up!

Good choice though, again not my cup of tea if I was spending £8k on a car, but its decent to see something different than the typical every day Leon Cupra's & VAG's etc.

Nice one Smile

Cheers mate Smile as before, I'm interested in what you'd have gone for as an alternative to the Meg? As I said to CAR, having had a bloody hard look about I couldn't find anything more suitable that I'd actually want. Sure realistically I could have spent 3k on a BMW 320d e46 tourer and got good mpg, probably good reliability and generally more refinement and a more mature car as a whole, but f*ck getting an old man's car now!

(21-05-2013, 06:41 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: I have to say Ed, I'd have had a good Corrado VR6 and 5 grand in the bank rather than this, I hate the look of them, and I just hate Renaults in general, but I've had a go in one belonging to a mate from work and they are VERY quick and a proper laugh in the bends, and I know what you mean about the ride, very firm but somehow quite comfortable, and very well damped. They fall into that category of "a bit too fast to properly thrash on the road" for me, that was why the Skoda bored me, because to get near its limits I had to be doing silly speeds. A 205 GTI with 130bhp in 900kg is more for me. Does look like a bloody minter though, and strangely I quite like that colour...

Could you really have a Corrado as a daily though? Plus the vr6 is a wet engine for the displacement. Makes a lush noise but doesn't really go anywhere with it. Unless you turbo it or whatever. But that's getting back into a heavily modified car again that's what I'm trying to get away from, at least temporarily.

I do kind of take your point about thrashing it to the limit on a public road, the limits are higher, but then it's still fun near the limits. And the overtaking ability I'd really still genuinely surprising...

At the end of the day I was looking for a newer car with as much of the character of an older car to drive, but without the rattles, unrefined interior and ride etc. Something a bit more grown up.

In liquid yellow.....

Yeah I'll let you riddle that out! Lol!
Thanks given by:
No matter how well it drives, it looks outrageously homosexual.

It's all well commenting on living with a VR6 as a daily, a car where you have to have manly body hair to feel at home, then ponce off into the sunset in a pealescent yellow dildomobile.

TL;DR version.. it suits you
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Love this so much, something about these I have a soft spot for

Nice one ed!
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 08:27 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Could you really have a Corrado as a daily though? Plus the vr6 is a wet engine for the displacement. Makes a lush noise but doesn't really go anywhere with it.

Yeah definitely, a VR6 would make a great daily with all that lazy torque. As for power, yeah 193bhp isn't much from 2.9 litres and 6 cylinders but its enough, and they sound amazing, look great and are bloody good through the twisties. I'm not that botherd about outright speed to be honest.

To be fair though, that's just what I'd have, compared to most other things around for that money and for what you want this was a good choice, although how much is a 147 GTA?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Pellowe, dl;tr? What's that mean?

And I'm glad you think it suits me Smile

Cheers Dec Big Grin

Yeah Liam, it'll always be horses for courses. I'd love to have a vr, I'm just not sure I'd want to pay the good ng rate for a decent one given their age etc... But that's my personal choice..I did look at the gta, but discounted it as they still go for about 10k, and they're very understeery on the limit from what I've heard? Also its an alfa, so you just know it'll end up costing the earth to maintain! But u was Sorely tempted.....
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 08:27 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Cheers mate Smile as before, I'm interested in what you'd have gone for as an alternative to the Meg? As I said to CAR, having had a bloody hard look about I couldn't find anything more suitable that I'd actually want. Sure realistically I could have spent 3k on a BMW 320d e46 tourer and got good mpg, probably good reliability and generally more refinement and a more mature car as a whole, but f*ck getting an old man's car now!

For me it would be a K1 cupra with the BTCC Kit, in candy white.

Nowhere near as common as the old leons, and underrated massively.

I do see the appeal of the Megane though. I nearly swapped my E46 for a 225 cup one.
Thanks given by:
Haha! Commends me for not getting same old vag stuff, then admits to wanting (admittedly rare edition of) same old vag crap! lmao

Fair play though. Vag is just really not my cup of tea at all. Couldn't buy one.

But yeah that's why I got the megane in the end Big Grin

I started looking at the 225s but I couldn't have bought one knowing it wasn't as good as the r26. The r26r was always too hardcore for my choice but I wanted all the toys too particularly the diff so the R26 had to be the one for me!
Thanks given by:
E46 m3 end of! Lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah, but BMW tax...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Id have gone LCR personally... nice car though mate!

Atleast get a cheeky remap!
Thanks given by:
too much writing lol!
Thanks given by:
Fecking kids!! Ha ha there is stuff between the pics you know lol
Thanks given by:
readings for gays
Thanks given by:
(21-05-2013, 11:14 AM)Ed Doe Wrote: I'd also considered Evos, but running costs, Evo tax, servicing intervals etc, and image all aren't great. Plus I couldn't actually deal with Ruan shouting "ACTIVE YAW CONTROL!!!!!!" at me everytime I rang him lol

I'd briefly entertained the idea of a Caterham 7 as a second car, selling the '6 and getting an hdi as a daily, but again it wouldn't stop me modifying. I just know I'd be buying intercoolers and clutches and maps for the hdi instead...

I couldn't ever own an evo after racing one in my first HDi and managing to overtake him although we both got mullered by the M3 that had also joined in. IMO if its not as good as a 306 diesel i never want one ever.

TBH id of thought you were more of a caterham guy, the adenoids would of suited it. I'm seriously entertaining the idea of another Kit car once the cabby is running a HDi lump.

Glad youve gotsomething that you love as much as your 306 thought dude cos i know you love that thing. At least Scott dosent have to do a timeshare on his astor now Smile
Thanks given by:
tl;dr = too long; didn't read.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Renaultsport Megane R26 Scott 78 24,592 08-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Scott