Removing air-con question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing air-con question
It might be due to running an Alu crank pulley, so less torsional dampening, it definitely doesn't work with an Alu pulley, wouldn't personally risk it considering mine almost took out the timing belt /gameover.
Thanks given by:
Interesting, i wonder if jonny has an alu bottom pulley..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm not massively sure how Stage 2 makes any difference to the auxilary belt system?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
With the car running more horsepower, if accelerating hard the engine revs will take less time to get from x revs to y revs, when running an alu pulley there is no dampening from the massive vibrations from the crank, so with running more hp the vibrations and the propensity of the belt to vibrate is higher, so more wear. I've ran the improvised setup a few times following what's been said on the forums, IMO, it's just not worth taking the risk when a setup option is already available.
Thanks given by:
So pugbug where is this OEM no AC setup? Assuming i'll have to piece it together myself by investigating part no' from HDi vans, as afaik all 306 HDi's came with ac?

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Cant say im convinced yet, the oem non-ac arrangement's lower tract has a longer run to the pulley, meaning it'd be more susceptible to vibrations than our own solution, wouldnt it...? Have you kept the lower eccentric pulley? I know warlord and tom were shredding belts before they put that back in.

Arron, there are some non-ac 306 hdis about, theyre just rather rare.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Actually, just remembered, it eventually transpired that it was the alu pulley at fault for Tom - lynx one iirc.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The engine revving up faster and speeding down slower will simply not affect the aux belt system, if that was the case it'd be a problem changing down a cog, no engine accelerates faster than someone dropping it in 2nd at 35mph and dropping the clutch...

The vibration I appreciate, but XUD9s and dw8s have run with non damped crank pulleys for years, or at least a significant amount less damping than the dw10 pulley.and they use the same crankshaft. The harmonic vibrations encountered will be vastly the same.

The harmonic dampener at the end of the day is not a protection device for the aux belt, it is to stop harmonics in the crank itself, it is simply an absorbing device, I fail to believe that using one will damage the aux system.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Well surely there will be more vibrations on the belt from the Alu pulley as apposed to OEM? I've been running the OEM non ac setup on my stage3 for over a year, whacking on 20K of hard driving, no issues whatsoever.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, forgot to ask jonny what he's running earlier. :S
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: