Removing air-con question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing air-con question
Just want to know...

Is it possible to remove the pulley from the ac pump and just fit a shorter belt, rather than removing the pump itself? I can see the belt 'slapping' between crank and ac pulley on idle, making a terrible noise in the process

Arron

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Check the guides section mate.

Sorry not in the guides, this is the thread you want...

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5741.htm...ght=Aircon
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
How sure are you that it's the aircon causing the belt slap, rather than the bottom pulley or tensioner?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
PE02 id like to keep the pump, for now anyway, hence asking if i could just take the pulley off, makes it much easier for now too

Poodle - If you look down beside the drivers wheel at the crank pulley, which is only 2 month old you can see the belt vibrating between crank and ac pulleys.. I replaced the crank pulley with a 307 type as i thought the noise was that but its not - its got to be the ac pulley, ive ignored it for long enough as i thought id have to remove the pump and everything else but i just had an idea, remove the pulley and fit the shorter belt

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
I see what your trying to do. The pump will just be dead weight so is it not just as easy to remove the pump and leave just the lines in place. Then if you want it back on then refit the pump and regas? Does it even have gas in it now? Most dont.
Thanks given by:
Its probably not as easy as just removing a bolt and pulley? Or thats how im looking at it unless im missing something, hence thread.... I dont want the air con but it looks like a summers day job removing it all in one go! If i can do this for now then i can remove the pump totally later on down the line.....

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
I dont have my pump anymore or i would have a look. Its getting all the pipes out that took time on mine. To get the rad and pump off was fairly straight foward. But yeah if the pulley just bolts on then it would be quicker.
Thanks given by:
Just grind the pipes into bits, is it a bumper off job removing the pump/pipes? Saying that if there's any of that stuff inside the pipes it wouldn't be healthy to splatter that everywhere!

Aye thats a good idea, if anyone has a pic of AC pump pulley it would be appreciated. The rad for the ac is kinda protection against stone chips for the engine rad with the open IC.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
The pipes are a pain due to the routing, had to twist and cut and snap mine out. Yeah front end off. Think we took the slam panel too just becase it gave more room and it wasnt too much after taking the bumper off anyway. And you need to make sure its empty as its illegal to just let it out.
Thanks given by:
I can get it emptied but yea, i gathered it was a 'summers day' job!

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 06:26 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: The pipes are a pain due to the routing, had to twist and cut and snap mine out. Yeah front end off. Think we took the slam panel too just becase it gave more room and it wasnt too much after taking the bumper off anyway. And you need to make sure its empty as its illegal to just let it out.

Oops Nospeak (only if you get caught)

Lol, i removed aircon units on my past 306's, so easy to do but you need to make sure you either:

- Leave the pump on and remove everything else (just use it as an Aux Pulley)

- Take all off and get a shorter belt
I Black mask Crystal headlights, check out my Thread
Black mask Service
Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Rich, is the pulley on the pump removable, so i can just remove pulley>fit shorter belt?

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Just mtfu and take it off! Surprising how heavy they are. Was surprised when I lifted my ac pump off the xud block
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
If its that easy come to do it for me boss Tongue

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Haha nope Wink
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 07:22 PM)Rich306 Wrote:
(05-04-2013, 06:26 PM)PE02KHG Wrote: illegal to just let it out.

Oops Nospeak (only if you get caught)

Yeah mine just randomly leaked out too. Although as it was empty i didnt release anything so didnt do anything wrong.
Thanks given by:
There's nothing in the pipes to splash everywhere, apart from possibly some dye. And Dec's right, it is that easy. Four bolts and headlight connectors - that's the front end off, then another four bolts gets rid of the compressor. The rest can be done with a knife and junior hacksaw. Took me about two hours last time, it's not like you need to worry about breaking any of it haha!
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(05-04-2013, 07:45 PM)Arron Wrote: Rich, is the pulley on the pump removable, so i can just remove pulley>fit shorter belt?

It's three or Four bolts holding the AC pump one, it'll be harder removing the pulley trust me.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Why do you have to remove the pump?

Just measure up a route that doesn't include the Air Con pump - the pump can stay there, just don't put the belt round it...

Just measure up the belt in mm and tell the motorfactors you want a "6PKxxxx" xxxx being the length in mm.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(06-04-2013, 09:26 AM)Ruan Wrote: Why do you have to remove the pump?

Just measure up a route that doesn't include the Air Con pump - the pump can stay there, just don't put the belt round it...

Just measure up the belt in mm and tell the motorfactors you want a "6PKxxxx" xxxx being the length in mm.

That is true, but if he's changing the belt he might as well just take the extra weight out! Smile
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Ah very true Ruan. Feel like a batty boy now. Thanks for the advice everyone. Repped

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Anytime fella. Let us know how you get on.
Black mask Service
Thanks given by:
Aye yeah, but like that, just sack off the pump anyway - makes no difference lol!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
You sure it is the aircon, as i had the same on mine, the belt was vibrating between the between crank and ac pulley on idle, it turned out the manual tensioner was not tight enough and the noise was the spring loaded tensioner bouncing off it's stops.
I took the tension off the spring loaded one and re adjusted the manual one and all was good.
I think the last time i fitted a belt i didn't have the tension fully off the spring loaded one when i tensioned it with the manual one so it didn't go tight enough.

Worth a look
Thanks given by:
I have simalar problem brought a 306 hdi the air con was removed tried putting a non air con belt on and just sqealing like a pig any ideas of the belt i need or part number would be awsome I've looked everywere cheers all
Thanks given by:
I havent done anything with this yet. Titch i dont think we've touched the manual tensioner before its got a 10 month old tensioner on there now... Major if you put some chalk on the belt whilst its running, if it stops squeeling its probably your pre tensioner.

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
Found the reason my hdi ac didn't work today.... I checked all the pipes as they came off and all were fine. Took the ac rad out today (between fans and coolant rad) and the bottom few rows had just disintergrated lol!! So there was no gas left in my system, just some leak detect dye. If you did decide to remove it, it's only one 8mm Allen bolt to undo the pipes from the pump, and 4 bolts (without captive nuts!) to remove the pump itself. Not hard at all. Not sure if you can.remove the pulley easily due to the electric clutch in it.
Thanks given by:
Majortom, sorry to be harsh, but you haven't looked very hard - the relevant part number is all over this forum.

Here's me posting it just yesterday: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-9464-pos...#pid248921 :p
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've tried this shorter belt method and it doesn't work if you're running stage 2 or higher. Not very good if you use it as your daily driver. The belt always shreds itself because of the lack of guide pulleys. The best way of doing it is running the OEM non AC belt setup, which involves a new alternator bracket and a few more pulley, but the belt sits fine even running at 170hp and not taking it easy.
Thanks given by:
Might be worth looking to see if you've got another problem fella - know a few who run this setup on a stage 2 without issue.

The non-ac oem kit is definitely worth getting if you can find it though, much better solution.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: