Forged engine build, to go in the 3 door project car. Parts and advice needed guys.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged engine build, to go in the 3 door project car. Parts and advice needed guys.
nah, get the pillar drill on them and open them out :p
Thanks given by:
Well I am started to get parts together.

Think I will go for new pulleys from Lynx.
I have been looking for a balanced and lightened gti6 flywheel, but no luck on a second hand one yet. Brand new they are £250 from Lynx.
I have a number of heads to pick from, plus I have my ARP head studs to use.
Done the 50% on the rods, just a bit of a lead time to contend with there.

Just in the process of getting some baker BM top mounts.
I have found some splutter bearings on ebay, then just need new rings and belts and things for the engine.

different turbo might go on the back burner for the time, but I do need to get a clutch, so CG clutch or if I can get a bit more cash one from helix or AP I guess.

Injectors I will get refurbished and I have 2 bosch pumps that can be played with.

I think this will be a late xmas present for me.
Thanks given by:
Maybe shouldn't of mentioned the parts from lynx are going on a XUD engine. Apparently they won't fit.

They do a hdi pulley which I think is the same as the XUD one.
Thanks given by:
Lol!!!! Why won't they fit...?!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
He said the gti fly wont fit the dt engine.

I did point out that loads of you guys had been using the standard gti fly, so why would their billet one not fit.

Other pullies are different on the gti engine to the dt engine.
Thanks given by:
rev counter pickup on the xud flyhweel is different to gti

i had my xud flywheel lightened - cost was negligible when I had it down with some other bits n bobs at an engine shop
Thanks given by:
Yea I was thinking of just getting the XUD on lightened, but don't know when I will get to Kris's next to strip down the front of the car and engine to get to the fly and other bits I wanted.

Plus I like shiny things lol
Thanks given by:
New top mounts have arrived.

[Image: 796B33B0-6349-42E5-A12C-DCDB55D3075E_zps21pfuga0.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Seems I have a new engine to strip down just need to go get it, then need to find a company to lighten and balance the fly.

Then it's order bearings and ring, wait for the con rods, then hopefully build a crazy 306 again.
Thanks given by:
Smiley faces con rods arrived today.
Thanks given by:
What coilovers are you running with your top mounts

Yeah saw the con rods on Facebook Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Gaz gold coilovers Smile

Still need to fit the new ones.
Thanks given by:
Been a bit naughty and just bought a GT2256v off ebay. Smile looks like we might be changing the downpipe and turbo manifold. lol
Thanks given by:
I think this has been dragging along long enough now. It seems with every step forward we make we have two or three back.

It has taken me almost 3 weeks to get the engine apart due to having to quickly strip it down to a bare engine in my garage so I could get it into the flat bed so I could get it up to Kris's. This little strip down happened in the last 3hrs of me moving out of my house, as I have no where to store all my car parts while I look for a new place.

With all the parts moved up to Kris's I spent Friday finishing off the stripped of the engine and I finally got it to the machinist for a honing and measure along with a wash. I should have the engine back on Tuesday, when I will finally get a chance to paint the block before heading to Dartmoor for a weekend away. On my return I will hopefully spend some time getting the block back together.

I think I saw earlier in the thread that the gti fly has a different rev pick up to the xud? is this something that can be easily rectrified? Since I would like to use my GTI Billet flywheel.
Thanks given by:
xud flywheel has two cut outs on it for rev counter pick up - whereas the gti has teeth all around it for a hall effect sensor.

you could presumably use a gti crank pickup and gti clocks and it'd work
Thanks given by:
Hm it wont the GTI dash is driven from the ECU..either make your own pickup, or sack off the standard tacho...wouldnt take much doing to make it work.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Cool thanks for the replies, will have to look into making the flywork or just get a new Rev counter.

I have the block back it was a few days late so no time to do anything before I went away to Dartmoor.

Will try and get it painted this week and then will start on the build up next weekend.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the main bearings for me, on bearing one, I have noticed that there are seals on the side of the bearing did people change then when rebuilding? Also end float half-washers when I took the engine apart these just fell out so I am not sure which way around they go as I know they an anti-fiction face on one side.

I am sure when I have the crank in front of me the placement of these will be obvious but its nice to get a piece of mind from people who have already successfully rebuilt these engines.
Thanks given by:
hockey stick seals on end of the crank? they can be a bit of a pain to get right - I used hylomar blue with the seals to help, then they need trimming after you've put them in. You should have yourself new seals if you've bought a full seal kit.

Get yourself a copy of the haynes xud manual, aka the bible - talks through the rebuild, I found it very useful - cheap enough on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Haynes-Manual-...487e1f9c56
Thanks given by:
Does it tell you what layout on piston rings you need in there. Did a search on here and people have asked before but with no real answer.

3.50 x 2.00 x 3.00

or

3.00 x 2.00 x 3.00
Thanks given by:
can you not measure the ones you have in your current pistons?
Thanks given by:
I could but they are not near me at this moment in time.
Thanks given by:
Tom I am guessing your new seal did not come from Peugeot? Just called my local garage who weren't very helpful. Sad

I did take your advice and bought the Haynes manual. And the two sealants.

Just need to get myself some piston rings and the gaskets, then hopefully I will get a start on the building.
Thanks given by:
Managed to get the con rods fitted to the pistons.

Changed the piston rings too.

Did not mange to get them in the block as I was struggling with time.

Just hoping it all went right and I have done it correctly if I am honest.

Need to get a few seals and things before I crack on with putting things back into the engine, but that wont be this weekend as I am going up in a helicopter this weekend for a birthday present for my brother.

I am hoping to make a good go at finishing this near the end of June, as I am having a week off to stay at Kris's place to get some things done.
Thanks given by:
So the week off has not happened yet, work has been manic with travelling around covering for other people on jobs we are getting, June has been a crazy month with no time on the weekends to even go see the car and do some work.
I think all I have managed to do is clear the boot of all the parts I have built up over the years.

I do have Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off next week so will be going up and hoping working on the car all day each day. I still need to get a few things and figure out a few things like the rev counter and the fly wheel, and getting everything right so I don't have to do any major jobs after its all up and running.
But I am hoping by next weekend to have the engine built and ready to go into the car, and the old engine removed with all the bits moved over from one engine to the other.
Thanks given by:
I was wondering how you were getting on, shame your not had the time, it is a right pain! but what will happen, things will move on so quickly you wont know it! That happened to me with the little egg beater!
Thanks given by:
Is this not on the road yet ?!   Speechless

Come on buddy! Lets go! *Insert motivational video*
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Insert motivation, money, time and all the other things I need to sort.

I am saving to go to the US next year, saving to move into my new house when that finally happens, working hard in my new role as its completely new to me.

Hopefully I will have some updates for this by the weekend. It will be either look it getting closer to life or look who wants to buy all my nice parts. Smile
Thanks given by:
Right update after day two of the work. Yesterday we spent the morning getting parts we would. But after that we got cracking, Kris unbolted everything on the old engine so we could get the engine crane in and get the engine.

I started building up the new engine, laying out all the Pistons and shells and other stuff. We had to finish early but I thought we did well.

Today I picked up the seals and bits from peugeots, then headed over to kris's, we removed the old engine, and stripped it down to nothing. We found the problem with the old engine though.

Thrustbearings on no 2 shell were in correct, these slipped and broke the piston shell which slipped and allowed movement in the piston.

Old engine in pieces.
[Image: 5D835828-E0BC-4F57-B456-DB3288DC9DAF_zpsrkfxg7ma.jpg]

Crank in place on new engine.
[Image: C4AFC1AE-DCDF-4356-85D0-C7849D236122_zps5t0v47lf.jpg]

Pistons waiting to go in tomorrow.
[Image: 073E30E3-85A8-4611-80CD-BAC675F23B28_zpsxiznkuca.jpg]

Car waiting to be fixed.
[Image: 2BEE35AB-65DD-4CFD-B59E-3E5B749950B0_zpssatag2ip.jpg]

Need to do a bit of research on Vnt turbos now to see how to get it to work. Any tips would be great guys.
Thanks given by:
The below video is the simple way to run a VNT. It's not the most effective or controllable but in a basic manner it does work.

You could spend many hours programming up an electronic control system monitoring EMP and EGT that controls it perfectly but that is electrics beyond me and my hammers.

Thanks given by:
I think its beyond me too for the time being.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DeeC’s 306 VNT Turbo Build / Show Car Project darrencurry0808 63 23,221 30-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: darrencurry0808
  My first ever project and build! conorpierce 38 9,441 28-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Last Post: MY95
  Project XU7JP4...ADVICE PLEASE! RoloGTI 30 7,903 11-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Last Post: RoloGTI