Topgear peugeot segment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Topgear peugeot segment
I've driven one, it's no worse than any other modern hot hatchback, and if you want to go fast in a very refined and undramatic way then it's fine. However, if you want entertainment or excitement, it's not great, but none of it's rivals are either.

Fact is, yes, Peugeot has made pretty awful cars for the last 10 years, but so has everyone else. Cars have got far too complicated, too heavy, too expensive and too idiot-proof to be enjoyable. I know I say this all the time, but I drive a lot of new cars working with people who love to buy the latest shiny new car and trade it in after 6 months, and I hate pretty much all of them.

They all look shit, you can't see out of them because the doors are at shoulder-height and the pillars are a foot thick, they have stupid computers in the centre console that do 37 different things you don't need when you're driving, they all have over-light dead steering, they don't ride properly because they weight 2 tons, which also ruins the handling except in the posh ones with 42 mode tractionstabilityslipyawdriftcontrolsportxxxi4 and electronic diffs, and even those aren't fun, just because they can pull 7G doesn't make them fun, just artificial for morons who want to play at being in Fast & Furious with no driving skill and brag to their mates that their shit Focus is 0.3 seconds faster to 60 than their mates shit Golf. They don't handle well, they corner quickly and have lots of grip which aren't the same thing at all! Then you have the stupid gearboxes. Why do we need 2 clutches and buttons on the steering wheel when a clutch pedal and a gear stick have worked well for years? You just get jerky shifts in normal driving, and then a gearbox that tries to tell you what gear to use when you're caning it.

Sorry lads, but proper drivers cars are dead. Lets just be thankful that Peugeot made so many great drivers cars in the past. Now, I'm off to look for a good 205 GTI...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah with you their liam.

Although, mk7/8 festa is slightly out there.

Dont get the hype with the RCZ...good friend got one when it came out and still has it and raves about it.
167bhp Diesel or something like that and a 200bhp petrol...
Sorry, I thought it was a fast sports car?!
Badly built, rides like its got bricks for tyres and drives without ANY character.
And all he raves about is how many mpgz he gets. 48avg by the way.
Wooooooooow. yawn
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Liam and Piggy find something to agree on...

Apocalypse is nigh boys and girls, hands off cocks and on with socks, it's time to run for the hills.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Dull as the new hot hatches are, they do remain fairly light

Both the 208 gti and fiesta st among others are under 1200kg, impressive for the amount of extra sh*te that they have to carry 

That's according to Parkers, not sure on the accuracy of that site.

Would hurt me to pay £19k for a car that wouldn't put the same smile on my face as my £200 xud 306 though
Thanks given by:
True enough, best way to have fun in a new car these days is to buy a 3-pot cayg07, love the noise!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Shame they're about as refined and comfortable as a 106... lol Though the seats in newer shape Aygo (and presumably the others) are much better now, much more comfortable! Ride hasn't improved though lol.

They do handle really well though, which is completely lost on the type of people that buy them! My sister included lol.
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 09:51 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Shame they're about as refined and comfortable as a 106... lol  Though the seats in newer shape Aygo (and presumably the others) are much better now, much more comfortable!  Ride hasn't improved though lol.

They do handle really well though, which is completely lost on the type of people that buy them!  My sister included lol.

The ride comfort is pretty damn good for it's class TBH, the handling is hilarious though, they're genuinely fun to drive Big Grin
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Good for it's class yeah...because everything in its class rides like crap! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(23-02-2015, 10:34 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah with you their liam.

Dont get the hype with the RCZ...good friend got one when it came out and still has it and raves about it.
Badly built, rides like its got bricks for tyres and drives without ANY character.
Wooooooooow. yawn

It's the discount TT, save a few quid but really it doesn't drive half as good and isn't as well put together.
Honestly if you were going to lash out over 20 grand on a sports car would you really go for a Peugeot???

Ask the same owner why they didn't go for a Scirocco, they go kinda quiet Big Grin

Don't get me wrong tho, it's a decent enough car. When depreciation has taken it's toll in ten years or so it'll be a bloody bargain buy.

But today, to buy a new one - you'd need your head examined.
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 10:45 AM)r3k1355 Wrote:
(23-02-2015, 10:34 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah with you their liam.

Wooooooooow. yawn

It's the discount TT, save a few quid but really it doesn't drive half as good and isn't as well put together.
Honestly if you were going to lash out over 20 grand on a sports car would you really go for a Peugeot???

Ask the same owner why they didn't go for a Scirocco, they go kinda quiet Big Grin

Don't get me wrong tho, it's a decent enough car.  When depreciation has taken it's toll in ten years or so it'll be a bloody bargain buy.

But today, to buy a new one - you'd need your head examined.

Because a Scirocco looks and is completely wank?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
The RCZ looks any better?

It's better since the 2013 update, and looks pretty good in the RCZ R format - but it still suffers abit for 'Peugeot Face'.
but the styling is too Peugeot, it's going to age quickly and really it only looks decent in Black on Black.
Thanks given by:
The new Fiesta ST and 208 GTI are great to drive Smile off to test drive an RCZ R and an M135i soon. A bit bigger, but still fun no doubt.
Thanks given by:
The RCZ-R is stepping into Porsche territory (I think it's about £1500 difference) so it's a tricky one to call.

The new Ford Mustang is £33K for the V8 model as well.
Thanks given by:
Scirrocco's look great tbh! Not as good as the 80s version, but still awesome and much better than an RCZ!
Thanks given by:
I really think the 108 has some serious potential to be a great car especially if they put in the most powerful (130bhp) version of the 1.2l 12v 3cylider turbo lump as it only weighs 865kg which is barely more than the old 106. Also the 107 wasn't a bad car (compared to the other peugeots of the same era)
Thanks given by:
The 107 was a pretty good car, it was just a really simple car and nothing more.

Although you could argue that perhaps the 107 was decent because Toyota were in on the deal to stop Peugeot f*cking it up.
Thanks given by:
Lol, the only thing PSA designed on those bugs was the seats...and they were awful. lol

The rest is Toyota, engine, suspension, chassis etc. Though I must admit the best alloys were the Peugeot ones...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peugeot 306 on topgear! Eeyore 31 7,073 20-02-2012, 11:38 PM
Last Post: ginge191