Forged engine build, to go in the 3 door project car. Parts and advice needed guys.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forged engine build, to go in the 3 door project car. Parts and advice needed guys.
So there was an issue with the vuccum pump, which has been sorted by using the one off my old engine. There is still a heavy diesel knock from one side of the engine. Kris thought it might be injectors, so went to go get some but none at his local scrappy.
I will send my old ones up tomorrow so fingers crossed that will fix the issue.

In the mean time he has started on the boot popper and the other electrics for the gauges and hopefully head unit.
Could be finished by the weekend but need to MOT and pass my run around so I can sell it to my neighbours before I tax and MOT this for the road.

[Image: C261CCEC-1059-44E7-9922-41359DEC3500_zpsvlu0tjyq.png]
Thanks given by:
Well looks like there is an issue with the engine. It's very knocky and is not really behaving. Have changed the injectors and it's still very knocky.

Don't really sure what to do now.
Thanks given by:
get another lump...for what £50-100 and slap that in there! either that or grab another bosch pump off someone to try, how long has it been sat unstarted??

all that effort to the car and you wana give up?!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yeh just swap the engine. Lots of work has gone into this and I have only ever seen it sat at Kriss. Get in on the road!
Thanks given by:
We are looking into a new engine, but its just taking so much time and effort.

problem with getting a new engine is that the one in the car should have been rebuilt with HDI internals. So it would be pointless replacing it with a standard engine.
Thanks given by:
so you rip the engine out, and drop the rods, switch them with the new lump rods and away you go! assuming its not the Hdi replacement bearings that are knocking.

get a video up perhaps?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No video. I have not been there when it has been started.
Thanks given by:
don't give up on it pal, you have put that much time and effort into re shelling this, be a right waste if you call it a day,
Thanks given by:
How do you know whats really wrong then if you havnt been there!?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
could just need some new shell's, dont give up with her
Thanks given by:
Kris has opened up the head. Shims were damaged so seeing what happens now.

So much for a rebuilt engine
Thanks given by:
Dont give up!! I know where a couple of engines are near me if need be.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
That's pretty weak, where did you get the rebuilt engine from? Sorry, cba to find it in the thread lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Of a member on here who fitted to a berlingo in their garage. Not sure who it was but oh well.

Cam belt tensioner is seized also, just seems to be one problem after another lol. Was really looking forward to getting this on the road by the weekend too.

The main problem with all these little things is that it makes you wonder who built it and what else they messed up. Does it really have hdi internals? Did they fit everything correctly? Is the clutch and pump made up to what it needs to be?
Thanks given by:
Wasnt this engine on ebay for quite a bit of money claiming to be rebuilt? That obviously a key selling point lol Sad sorry to hear its a shitter.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Shins have been changed along with the tensioner and bosch lines. And it still runs like shit.
Thanks given by:
Be a shame to give in, i'm sure everyone would encourage you to crack on.

If you've got time perhaps source another stock engine and drop it in to get her going, and build another up to your spec.

Its a pain when you thought you'd be running soon, but sometimes these things crop up and bugger your plans up :/
Thanks given by:
Be a shame to pack it in when your so close to finishing it! Will be a sweet motor when it's done.
Thanks given by:
Right looks like the engine is going to have to come out. A bit disappointing to be fair as we were so close to finishing the project and I so badly wanted to drive this. Even though it might have been very laggy.

So the plan is to look for a new engine, either 2.1 or 1.9. quickly get all the bits off my engine and see if we can get this project back on track.
Thanks given by:
For speed of getting it sorted soon...1.9
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yea its still finding either of the engine.
Thanks given by:
Hate updating this now. Been to kris's this weekend just to hear the car and see what to do.

Think we are going to need a new engine for sure. So the options are buy a car with a 2.1 and strip it then fit it into the car.

Or completely rebuild a 1.9, I have the arp head studs and was thinking if I am going to do this I might as well try and get some forged internals, and a newer turbo for the car. But all depends on how long the lead times are on the con rods.

Might also need to find a new bare engine.
Thanks given by:
Just stick in a stock 1.9DT lump to get it running and rebuild the dodgy lump at home.

You'll fall back in love when its working.
Thanks given by:
Doesnt ZXvolcane still have some forged rods for sale?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Need to speak to him about it. Think he was going to do a new order for some.
Thanks given by:
Just about to buy my con rods. I have three heads to play with so anyone know any companies who can help with improving the head on these engines?

Just need to find a new engine and turbo to mess around with.
Thanks given by:
I have placed my deposit for the con rods.

I have bought a recently reconditioned head, so now I have 4 heads Sad

I am looking at lightening the engine components, so was wondering about some advice........

Pulley's: Gti pulleys from Lynx will they fit the XUD?
Flywheel: Again Gti flywheel will it work on the XUD with a hdi gear box? I am looking at a lightened flywheel, but if there is not much difference between the flys I will just look at getting my standard XUD lightened.

I have seen on here or .net about rebuilding the engines with regards to shells and how the con rods go in.. I would be grateful for some more insight in this so I can crack on with the build with Kris when the rods arrive.

Cheers in advance guys.
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2014, 03:38 PM)Pompey306mark Wrote: I have placed my deposit for the con rods.

I have bought a recently reconditioned head, so now I have 4 heads Sad

I am looking at lightening the engine components, so was wondering about some advice........

Pulley's: Gti pulleys from Lynx will they fit the XUD?
Flywheel: Again Gti flywheel will it work on the XUD with a hdi gear box? I am looking at a lightened flywheel, but if there is not much difference between the flys I will just look at getting my standard XUD lightened.

I have seen on here or .net about rebuilding the engines with regards to shells and how the con rods go in.. I would be grateful for some more insight in this so I can crack on with the build with Kris when the rods arrive.

Cheers in advance guys.

The pulley is the same for all XU engines - so yes will fit fine. I can't remember if the pulley is the same size on the XUD9 as the XU10 due to the XU10 spinning faster, IIRC it's slightly bigger on the XUD - but just means you'd need a slightly shorter belt...

Flywheel will fit fine yes - it has teeth for crank sensor for GTi6, but is the same item. XUD9 clutch is the same as XU10 clutch, so no problems there either.

No need to really worry about rebuilding engine with new rods/shells - nothing that different, you just need HDi bearing shells. Make sure they go in the correct way round - they are sputter bearings on the top shell (matte finish) and normal bearings on the cap side.

Though the biggest difference in engine weight would be gained from lightening the pistons - that is where the main amount of weight is in an XUD9, they're also the part with the most amount of inertia, due to the fact they're essentially the most "geared" part of the engine... You've got a 200g weight on the end of a pole, reciprocating at insane speeds with a relatively long 88mm stroke.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(07-11-2014, 04:46 PM)Ruan Wrote: Though the biggest difference in engine weight would be gained from lightening the pistons - that is where the main amount of weight is in an XUD9, they're also the part with the most amount of inertia, due to the fact they're essentially the most "geared" part of the engine... You've got a 200g weight on the end of a pole, reciprocating at insane speeds with a relatively long 88mm stroke.

On that note, a set of lighter wrist pins would be ideal, can leave the pistons alone then and save some decent weight
Thanks given by:
Yeah, absolutely...

Ti wrist pins anyone?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DeeC’s 306 VNT Turbo Build / Show Car Project darrencurry0808 63 24,032 30-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Last Post: darrencurry0808
  My first ever project and build! conorpierce 38 9,686 28-04-2016, 10:22 PM
Last Post: MY95
  Project XU7JP4...ADVICE PLEASE! RoloGTI 30 8,052 11-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Last Post: RoloGTI