HIDs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HIDs
Right so did some testing the other day and turns out one of my ballasts have gone down. Where's the best place for HID kits/bulbs ect as I can't remember the name of the company I last used to replace my bulbs, company up in/near Manchester if I remember correctly
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just get some off ebay. Can get the complete kits cheap now
Thanks given by:
Ebay a best bet for hid kits but I hear osram night breakers are really good
Thanks given by:
+! for the osram nightbreakers! I hated the colour of my HIDs. Normal bulbs are much better.
Thanks given by:
Cheap HIDs are 'wanky' as described by Niall i believe Wink

Yeh good quality uprated bulbs like nightbreakers are the way to go.
Thanks given by:
Awaits someone to say your a lady garden for using hids blind everyone and should put night breakers in

I run hids so I'm also one of them lady gardens

Is just buy a new kit off eBay get them for under £30
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Get the cheap fucks with no levellers and piss everyone off with them; oh and fit in the McD's scene also!
Can't stand them..
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
I have been considering HID's recently to go in the angels...still not 100% convinced though. Undecided
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 07:41 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: I have been considering HID's recently to go in the angels...still not 100% convinced though. Undecided

Do it, you won't look back again!

Everyone moans about them, but I've had mine for a few years now and I love them! When your in a dark country lane you don't even need high beams.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I had HIDs for over a year. I was constantly using the height adjustment switch. Anything higher than the lowest setting would blind people and people would be constantly flashing. When they are on the lowest setting then you cant see anything so IMO its just not worth having! Just get nightbreakers.
Thanks given by:
(03-09-2014, 07:47 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(03-09-2014, 07:41 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: I have been considering HID's recently to go in the angels...still not 100% convinced though. Undecided

Do it, you won't look back again!

Everyone moans about them, but I've had mine for a few years now and I love them! When your in a dark country lane you don't even need high beams.

The people that have bad things to say are the people getting blinded by the damn things, not the people that are using them. It's all well and good saying how well you can see, but there are other users on the road that probably don't want to be blinded by your lights.

There's just no need for them, IMO.
Thanks given by:
If I drove around with the power of the sun mounted to the front of my car then i would be able to see very well indeed. However everyone else would be cooked and dead... but yes... i would be able to see them being cooked!
Thanks given by:
I have nightbreakers in at the moment, but I've been thinking about hids because of the projector lenses in the angels...half of me thinks it's worth trying them, the other half thinks they're still too chavvy. Huh
Thanks given by:
Connor does have projector lights iirc, so shouldn't really be blinding people with them.

I cant stand the blinding ones retrofitted in standard lights though!
Thanks given by:
I don't think anyone has ever questioned how good they are from a drivers point of view. They are much better than your standard run of the mill bulbs but i could say my high beam is better than dipped so does that mean i can drive everywhere with high beam on (on a tangent, anyone else noticed people seem to do this these days?)? Its not fair on other road users really especially when there are other bulbs out there that are perfectly legal and just as good!
Its also why manufacturers are ditching HIDs in favour of LED. Much much better for driver and other road users.

Rant over
I think most aftermarket kits are basically the same so just buy a new kit on eGay. £30ish
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've got projector headlights which give a nice crisp line, so blah blah blah I don't give a phuck ect ect. I was only after the name of a company people had used and had good feed back from. I know how to go on ebay and type "cool HIDs innit bled" and buy any cheap shite, I was trying to avoid buying shite as these im the last 4 years 1 of the bulbs went, so replaced them, now the ballast has gone down, hopefully I can get some that last another 4+ years
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
What type do your projectors take mate? I've got 2 sets of HID's here
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Hids direct are a good, well known company tbh
Thanks given by:
H1s mate, but theyre fine. It's one of the ballasts, got some of those?
Thanks given by:
I've got 2 full sets of H7 HID's, ballasts too. Although, I doubt that's any good given you have H1's lol
Thanks given by:
Ballasts should fit though? Send me a pic if you could please mate
Thanks given by:
Might fit if the connectors are the same, although half a set of HID's is going to be of no use to me lol. Was there not new sets on amazon for £15 not long back?
Thanks given by:
Im looking into LED kits.

Be trying some this winter I think.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Brighter does NOT equal better...

Car manufacturers could easily put lights like the sun on the front of your car and even set them up so they don't blind anyone... However consider that your eyes have an iris which adjusts accordingly to the incoming light... If you have TOO much light, your iris will close up, you now can't pick stuff out that's in the darker patches - it's a contrast problem.

For a demonstration of what I mean - sit indoors on a dark night, with all the lights on and try and see stuff out the window... Then try the same with the lights off - notice you can pick stuff out vastly better - precisely the same reason your car lights aren't a million candle power - your eyes then cannot pick out anything apart from what is lit well - everything else is a black hole!!!

HIDs are fine if set up well, but generally are 6000K+ which have the sole use of lighting everything up in a colour it's not easy to see in and piss other road users off... If there's a bit of science and thought gone into it, HIDs are great, 4300K, levelled correctly (preferably with auto levellers...) with extensions on the anti glare covers in the lamps... Ramming a set of H7 chinese kit HIDs into some gronky old Halogen housings is a recipe for glare, pissing off everyone else and being dangerous.

And yeah as some plonker said earlier "you don't need full beams!!!" - yeah, that's because you're shitting so much light everywhere that your low beam might as well be a full beam, it's like full beaming EVERYONE that drives past with light that pisses everyone off because it's such an intense colour temperature.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2014, 01:59 PM)Ruan Wrote: everything else is a black hole!!!

Lolz... you love a good black hole normally.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
the 306 headlights aren't projectors anyway so the HID's look awful and glare like mad. they're totally the wrong unit for the HID bulb and ballast. unless you've got some projector lights but i still think they look wrong for the car, i've had aftermarket lights on my p3 and they didn't look right anyway

i've ran osram nightbreakers and even some ABD Ice bulbs off Amazon which were about £10 and absolutely brilliant. compared one directly to a phillips and it was much better
306 hdi 3dr moonstone
205 gti6 bare shell rebuild
m3 evolution coupe weekend hero
bmw x3 xdrive35d f25 313bhp nutter
Thanks given by:
Just out of morbid curiosity Connor, what colour temp are your HID's?
Thanks given by:
Jesus, every single HID thread always ends the same way.. I don't recall seeing 'I want your opinion on HID's' in the opening post.
Thanks given by:
At the end of the day, its Connors car to do what he wants with it, and considering he is running projector lenses, I don't see what the big issue is. I CAN understand the issue with people using HID's with standard halogen lenses, but in this case, thats not happening, so let's keep it on topic shall we?
Thanks given by:
^ 'Like'
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIDs....for main beam only....?? Piggy 18 5,255 26-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Niall
  H4 HIDs n0v0s 12 2,482 18-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Last Post: kingy