Posts: 2,125
Threads: 210
Joined: Feb 2014
Reputation:
1
Location: Bristol
Car Model/Spec: Ph1 White Gti6/306 DTurbo
10-08-2014, 07:31 PM
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014, 07:31 PM by Nathan1305.)
Found this lovely brown grease type stuff on the water cap, should I worry or is it just how XUD's are?
[attachment=18313]
Posts: 3,613
Threads: 0
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
45
It's a sign, but not necessarily HG failure. Any other symptoms? Using water? Running warm?
Posts: 3,342
Threads: 151
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
14
Location: Rotherham
Car Model/Spec: 306 D-turbo
I have never seen sludge on any xud I've witnessed with hgf
Oil cooler may have shit itself and leaking oil into the coolant
Team Doesn't own a 306
Posts: 18,242
Threads: 386
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
87
Location: Suffolk
Car Model/Spec: Focus Titanium
It's usually pressurising pipes on Pug engines (XUD and TU at least!) that indicates HGF. So I would agree with Danny and say it's not. The oil cooler is easy to change if it is that, it's underneath the oil filter but you do need a massive socket to remove the bolt from it lol.
Posts: 3,342
Threads: 151
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
14
Location: Rotherham
Car Model/Spec: 306 D-turbo
I'd wipe the cap put it back on and carry on like nothing's changed
Just keep a eye on the temp gauge a quick glance over now and again
Wouldn't worry me tbh
Team Doesn't own a 306
Posts: 18,242
Threads: 386
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
87
Location: Suffolk
Car Model/Spec: Focus Titanium
Personally I'd flush out the coolant system and see if it returns...
Yeah it's safe to drive as long as you keep an eye on it.
Posts: 39
Threads: 3
Joined: Jul 2014
Do you do a lot of short trips in the car ? Stop start to the shops & back could just be condensation build if the engine isn't getting upto full temp
Posts: 39
Threads: 3
Joined: Jul 2014
Ye take it out for a long run let the engine come upto temp , a few blasts down a bypass or a good run on the motorway should clear it out