Cam belt change interval...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam belt change interval...
I would be grateful if anyone could please tell me what the interval is for replacing a cam belt on an HDi 2L Diesel meridian (2000) estate?

My mechanic said that he has worked on a lot of 306s HDi engines over the years and has never seen a belt go. He reckons they can run to 80k before needing a replacement.
Thanks given by:
Think the book says 96k but I might be wrong..
Thanks given by:
Depends on make of the cam belt that is anyway been replaced euthanasia
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Nothing to do with make of the belt, im pretty sure its 80k or 8years?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ahh, looks like a good one then. Probably have another year then according to my logs, but might get it done towards the end of this year just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your replies.
Thanks given by:
Ill check my haynes in a bit just to confirm
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's around 90k...but I've also never seen a belt snap from old age, I've had them on 130k and 160k without a belt change. The crank pulley is likely to kill it long before that lol.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for you reply Tom, you speak from experience! :-)

How have you managed to own so many 306s?
Thanks given by:
(20-04-2014, 01:40 PM)beulah Wrote: Thanks for you reply Tom, you speak from experience! :-)

How have you managed to own so many 306s?

Lol, they weren't all HDi's though, only 7 of them. lol

I owned many as I get bored quick and kept buying them....admittedly some were to break for parts.
Thanks given by:
Only 7, LOL!
Thanks given by:
I've never actually owned the only one I really wanted which is a GTi6 lol....damn petrol prices! But anyway, back on topic....I personally wouldn't bother changing the belt on a HDi. I recently did a belt that had done 90k, the belt was still prefect and the tensioner/idler still looked and felt brand new! As they're hidden away behind covers they don't get the abuse that the aux belt and tensioners get. I'd spend the money changing the crank pulley and aux belt instead if they're original and showing signs of wear.
Thanks given by:
Hmmmm, good thinking and thanks for the advice. I've heard they are a bit of a knuckle bruising job to change anyway..... Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Didn't bruise my knuckles, but did manage to catch my little finger between the ratchet handle and the brake caliper as I slipped off the crank pulley nut....that was a month ago and its still not healed yet! Dodgy lol
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  service interval mileage counter reset pug306driver 4 1,542 27-04-2016, 04:02 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
  hdi cam belt change wibbz 2 1,171 28-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Poodle