Power steering broken - how do i bypass?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power steering broken - how do i bypass?
Just pulled up outside my uncles place, and literally as i was about to turn the engine off, it made a weird noise, kinda made me think of a belt failing, or something seizing. Switched off a bit rapid, and checked under the bonnet, belt seems fine, still following the correct route, and no frayed bits i can see, but i now have a puddle of power steering fluid under the car. Great. Censored

Didn't get much longer to diagnose, as the heavens opened, so i bolted to get indoors. My first thought is a failed power steering pump, anyone else care to agree or offer other ideas?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Agree

Happened on my DT, put more in and it worked for about half a turn, then spat it all out again. Just a seal iirc
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
Wheres the fluid coming from?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(21-02-2014, 07:08 PM)Fooby Wrote: Agree

Happened on my DT, put more in and it worked for about half a turn, then spat it all out again. Just a seal iirc

Bloody hell, i do feel honoured! First reply to my thread is from Fooby of all people! lol

If it is just a seal, that'd be very handy, as ive looked at the price of PAS pumps on ECP, and the cheapest one comes in at a cool £255! Nospeak

(21-02-2014, 07:16 PM)Tom Wrote: Wheres the fluid coming from?

Not entirely sure, as i say, its dark, and it started pelting down with rain barely 60 seconds after i got out of the car! Sad
Thanks given by:
Ah right, have a look at the pump and make sure the pulley isnt wonkey.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
99% it's the ram. They always fail because the covers fall off of them. Finding a decent second hand one is hard (I'm on ly 3rd on the 6 now). I would send it off for refurb if I was you.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
There's a special seal restoring fluid you can buy. It's called...

Man up Wink

Pretty sure it'll be seal on the ram, had this happen on the 405 O_O and I'm sure it's a similar layout to the 306.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
So what can I do to make the car driveable again for the short term then? I get that I'll have to be without pas for a bit, but I'd like to keep the alternator working if possible! Wink
Thanks given by:
Could get a tiny belt just between alt and crank pulley I guess.
Thanks given by:
Before you worry about keeping it drivable figure out whats wrong...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
It's definitely the pas pump, it's chewed the bearings up quite nicely and spat them round my engine bay. I'm wondering if I got lucky, as the noise only happened just as I was stationary at my destination, able to kill the engine quite quickly, if I might not have done too much damage, leaving it repairable at least. Wink

I know 4way ran his without pas for a while, so I'm currently waiting to hear back from him about a possible belt size to bypass the pas, while I get the pump off and repaired, thus leaving the car in a driveable condition. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Just bypass power steering it's for wimps any way Popcorn

Thanks given by:
(22-02-2014, 03:47 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Just bypass power steering it's for wimps any way Popcorn

That's the idea for the moment, but with what? I'm trying to find out if there is a belt that will literally just do the alternator, or at least the alternator and the ac (not that it works), so I can take the pas pump off.

Any ideas?

Anyone tried shoelaces before? lol
Thanks given by:
Just found this photo on a post from KrisB, what belt is this! Ideal!!!!!

[Image: 100_1738.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just measure it with a bit of string at go into a motor factors asking for a 6PK***

6PK is the number of ribs, so 6 in this instance, and *** will be the measurement in mm of the belt you need
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Isn't that Dum-Dum's 2.1?

Back on topic, had this happen to me with both 306's. One failed completely, other I managed to notice before it completely died on me. Depending on how much the repair is, could be better to just buy one from eBay or here. Ebay was around £40, on here £20-30. I shouldn't have sold the one from the dragoon when I was breaking it Doh
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2014, 04:42 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Isn't that Dum-Dum's 2.1?

Looks like a HDi to me so not 2.1...

As Grant says though, just measure around the pulleys. Smile
Thanks given by:
Good shout Grant, i shall do that! Big Grin

And again, good shout Sam, may as well just chuck up a wanted thread for now, and have a scan of the bay.
Thanks given by:
I have a pump if you need it. What aux bracket do you have? Does your pas pump have a bit of plastic over the pulley over something?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I have a pump available in about 3 weeks? lol
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2014, 05:03 PM)Tom Wrote: I have a pump if you need it. What aux bracket do you have? Does your pas pump have a bit of plastic over the pulley over something?

Yeah, mine HAD a plastic cover over it, until i broke it off this morning. lol Not sure about the aux bracket at the moment though, cars not with me, so cant even check. Doh

(22-02-2014, 05:03 PM)Grant Wrote: I have a pump available in about 3 weeks? lol

Probably about the same time as i have some money then! Wink
Thanks given by:
I have one of those with plastic cover... Get a pic of your aux setup, this came on a lump i bought so i dont know what reg it was.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Ok, will pop past when i go pick the missus up shortly. Nice one mate. Smile
Thanks given by:
Pop past? Lol...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Sorry, meant I'd pop past the car to get a pic. lol

[attachment=13757]

How's that? Does that show what you need Tom?
Thanks given by:
You want to get a shot of the numbers on that white sticker, some are different iirc. Different pulley size I think.
Thanks given by:
I ran without a alternator belt on my d turbo had arms like pop eye I didn't drive at night and used no electrics unless necessary widows ect battery never went flat
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
Lol, I spend far too long driving at night, and the missus doesn't appreciate the raw sound of the straight through derv, so insists on having the choons on. lol

Will get a better pic of the sticker tomorrow. Doh
Thanks given by:
Well your f*cked then lmao

15 minute job to change that
[Image: image_zps45f2003b.jpg]

Team Doesn't own a 306
Thanks given by:
(22-02-2014, 09:04 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: You want to get a shot of the numbers on that white sticker, some are different iirc. Different pulley size I think.

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top tensioner bypass simonson1982 8 1,227 01-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Last Post: simonson1982
  Power steering pump whining simonson1982 7 1,976 06-10-2015, 10:20 AM
Last Post: andyyy
  Power Steering Pump Pug0BZ3011 0 904 06-02-2015, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Pug0BZ3011