306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: Power steering broken - how do i bypass?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just pulled up outside my uncles place, and literally as i was about to turn the engine off, it made a weird noise, kinda made me think of a belt failing, or something seizing. Switched off a bit rapid, and checked under the bonnet, belt seems fine, still following the correct route, and no frayed bits i can see, but i now have a puddle of power steering fluid under the car. Great. Censored

Didn't get much longer to diagnose, as the heavens opened, so i bolted to get indoors. My first thought is a failed power steering pump, anyone else care to agree or offer other ideas?
Agree

Happened on my DT, put more in and it worked for about half a turn, then spat it all out again. Just a seal iirc
Wheres the fluid coming from?
(21-02-2014, 07:08 PM)Fooby Wrote: [ -> ]Agree

Happened on my DT, put more in and it worked for about half a turn, then spat it all out again. Just a seal iirc

Bloody hell, i do feel honoured! First reply to my thread is from Fooby of all people! lol

If it is just a seal, that'd be very handy, as ive looked at the price of PAS pumps on ECP, and the cheapest one comes in at a cool £255! Nospeak

(21-02-2014, 07:16 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]Wheres the fluid coming from?

Not entirely sure, as i say, its dark, and it started pelting down with rain barely 60 seconds after i got out of the car! Sad
Ah right, have a look at the pump and make sure the pulley isnt wonkey.
99% it's the ram. They always fail because the covers fall off of them. Finding a decent second hand one is hard (I'm on ly 3rd on the 6 now). I would send it off for refurb if I was you.
There's a special seal restoring fluid you can buy. It's called...

Man up Wink

Pretty sure it'll be seal on the ram, had this happen on the 405 O_O and I'm sure it's a similar layout to the 306.
So what can I do to make the car driveable again for the short term then? I get that I'll have to be without pas for a bit, but I'd like to keep the alternator working if possible! Wink
Could get a tiny belt just between alt and crank pulley I guess.
Before you worry about keeping it drivable figure out whats wrong...
It's definitely the pas pump, it's chewed the bearings up quite nicely and spat them round my engine bay. I'm wondering if I got lucky, as the noise only happened just as I was stationary at my destination, able to kill the engine quite quickly, if I might not have done too much damage, leaving it repairable at least. Wink

I know 4way ran his without pas for a while, so I'm currently waiting to hear back from him about a possible belt size to bypass the pas, while I get the pump off and repaired, thus leaving the car in a driveable condition. Big Grin
Just bypass power steering it's for wimps any way Popcorn
(22-02-2014, 03:47 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: [ -> ]Just bypass power steering it's for wimps any way Popcorn

That's the idea for the moment, but with what? I'm trying to find out if there is a belt that will literally just do the alternator, or at least the alternator and the ac (not that it works), so I can take the pas pump off.

Any ideas?

Anyone tried shoelaces before? lol
Just found this photo on a post from KrisB, what belt is this! Ideal!!!!!

[Image: 100_1738.jpg]
Just measure it with a bit of string at go into a motor factors asking for a 6PK***

6PK is the number of ribs, so 6 in this instance, and *** will be the measurement in mm of the belt you need
Isn't that Dum-Dum's 2.1?

Back on topic, had this happen to me with both 306's. One failed completely, other I managed to notice before it completely died on me. Depending on how much the repair is, could be better to just buy one from eBay or here. Ebay was around £40, on here £20-30. I shouldn't have sold the one from the dragoon when I was breaking it Doh
(22-02-2014, 04:42 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't that Dum-Dum's 2.1?

Looks like a HDi to me so not 2.1...

As Grant says though, just measure around the pulleys. Smile
Good shout Grant, i shall do that! Big Grin

And again, good shout Sam, may as well just chuck up a wanted thread for now, and have a scan of the bay.
I have a pump if you need it. What aux bracket do you have? Does your pas pump have a bit of plastic over the pulley over something?
I have a pump available in about 3 weeks? lol
(22-02-2014, 05:03 PM)Tom Wrote: [ -> ]I have a pump if you need it. What aux bracket do you have? Does your pas pump have a bit of plastic over the pulley over something?

Yeah, mine HAD a plastic cover over it, until i broke it off this morning. lol Not sure about the aux bracket at the moment though, cars not with me, so cant even check. Doh

(22-02-2014, 05:03 PM)Grant Wrote: [ -> ]I have a pump available in about 3 weeks? lol

Probably about the same time as i have some money then! Wink
I have one of those with plastic cover... Get a pic of your aux setup, this came on a lump i bought so i dont know what reg it was.
Ok, will pop past when i go pick the missus up shortly. Nice one mate. Smile
Pop past? Lol...
Sorry, meant I'd pop past the car to get a pic. lol

[attachment=13757]

How's that? Does that show what you need Tom?
You want to get a shot of the numbers on that white sticker, some are different iirc. Different pulley size I think.
I ran without a alternator belt on my d turbo had arms like pop eye I didn't drive at night and used no electrics unless necessary widows ect battery never went flat
Lol, I spend far too long driving at night, and the missus doesn't appreciate the raw sound of the straight through derv, so insists on having the choons on. lol

Will get a better pic of the sticker tomorrow. Doh
Well your f*cked then lmao

15 minute job to change that
(22-02-2014, 09:04 PM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: [ -> ]You want to get a shot of the numbers on that white sticker, some are different iirc. Different pulley size I think.

Pages: 1 2