Toms306's China HDi Estate 2012

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toms306's China HDi Estate 2012
(18-12-2012, 05:19 PM)SRowell Wrote: disc paint?

Pagid discs come painted in silver paint to protect them whilst being stored.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2012, 09:25 PM)Niall Wrote:
(18-12-2012, 05:19 PM)SRowell Wrote: disc paint?

Pagid discs come painted in silver paint to protect them whilst being stored.

ah never knew that. what a good idea!
Thanks given by:
better than oiling them, dont have to faff about with degreaser that way
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Hopefully it'll stop the 'non friction' bits going rusty for a while too. And yes see you tomorow, fly eyes would be good if we get time. Smile
Thanks given by:
Hmm, why is it with 306s as soon as you fix one thing something else breaks!? Dodgy

So yeah, leaving for Sam's this morning my handbrake cable snapped, brilliant! Rolleyes

Anyway, whilst at Sam's I got the wiper from his 1.4, so no more skipping, non parking wipers now...for a while anyway.

Got a feeling the pond here wasn't helping.

[Image: Estatestuff011-1.jpg]

While the scuttle was off thought I'd sort the blower motor too - this is what I was faced with, and the reason I hate old cars, previous owners ruin everything!

[Image: Estatestuff013-1.jpg]

Anyway, that duct was just sort of 'sitting' there, not actually fixed in any way so there was all sorts of crap in the blower! Got most of it out now though. Rolleyes

So yeah, thats it for today lol, looks like I'll be replacing the handbrake cables tomorow then, my cheap car is rapidly getting more expensive.......
Thanks given by:
Well, theres the problem! lol

[Image: Handbrake001.jpg]

Only took 4 hours to replace the cables as well. Confused Being wet, cold, feeling ill and being cramped in a tiny garage to get out of the rain turned out not to be be the best conditions lol.

Anyway, done now! But the exhaust heatshield fixings broke so thats hanging and clattering around now. Dodgy There always something! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Hmm, I should really leave things alone! Dodgy

There was an awful scrape over the sainsburys speed bump this morning..... Confused

[Image: Heatshieldfail011.jpg]

Looks like its bent the heatshield that was hanging off.....and the handbrake cable has fallen out of the other clip as well now......I give up lol! Rolleyes

Anyway, it'll have to stay like that for a few days and just scrape on everything.

Also got fuel, I had a fortnight of 'f*ck mpg and milage', red light has been flashing on and off for days......done 584 miles, used 51.55 litres, which works out as 51.5mpg - which cost just over £70 for two weeks driving. Sad But thats still better than the eco run, wtf is up with this car! Confused

[Image: Heatshieldfail009.jpg]
Thanks given by:
As you said previously, you're used to driving the Golf and will be trying to mirror your MPG runs on how you drove that. Keeping the engine efficient is better than low RPM's, as i'm sure you're aware, but your "normal" driving style may suit the efficiency of the HDI engine more than your "MPG" driving style.

4 hours to change handbrake cables though? Jeez, I kinda feel sorry for you haha.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah you're probably right, and 51mpg isn't bad for ragging and speeding......just wish it'd be better when I want it to be lol! Ah well.

And yeah, I couldn't beleive how long it took until I went inside and saw it was 4pm.........and i hadn't even put the centre console etc back or tidied the tools. lol
Thanks given by:
Told you so, now you're starting to like owning a DERV, rag it and still return good mileage!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I didn't say I liked it. Tongue

I much preffered owning a diesel that was fast AND good on fuel..... lol Shame it couldn't corner though, or keep its lifters in one peice.
Thanks given by:
Tom there is something wrong with this car. If i can average 425 miles from a tank on a 6, this should spank that!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
niall dont get the lad panicing about mpg for god sake!
Thanks given by:
How the f*ck do you manage that niall im lucky to get 350 out of 50litres probably needs a good service

And tom my heatsheilds only cable tied on atm lol
Thanks given by:
I tore that heat shield out, was kinda in the way of my exhaust and things Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 08:45 PM)rocker8742 Wrote: How the f*ck do you manage that niall im lucky to get 350 out of 50litres probably needs a good service

And tom my heatsheilds only cable tied on atm lol

Well I was going t say boring driving but reading I averaged 390 to the tank and I wasn't hanging about!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(25-12-2012, 12:10 AM)Tom Wrote: I tore that heat shield out, was kinda in the way of my exhaust and things Wink

Lol, and you haven't melted anything under there? I'm thinking of just ripping it out tbh, worried the heat will ruin the handbrake cables though. Confused
Thanks given by:
(25-12-2012, 05:55 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(25-12-2012, 12:10 AM)Tom Wrote: I tore that heat shield out, was kinda in the way of my exhaust and things Wink

Lol, and you haven't melted anything under there? I'm thinking of just ripping it out tbh, worried the heat will ruin the handbrake cables though. Confused

f*ck it, i havent looked since i done it lol I doubt the exhaust gets THAT hot there anyway :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(26-12-2012, 12:04 AM)Tom Wrote:
(25-12-2012, 05:55 AM)Toms306 Wrote:

f*ck it, i havent looked since i done it lol I doubt the exhaust gets THAT hot there anyway :/

Yeah, exhausts are well known for being nice and cool.......oh wait..... lol

Tbh I've scraped it so many times now I expect its bent right out of shape and will just have to be removed anyway. Also gotta try and lift that handbrake cable back up as I just know I'm gonna end up catching it on something otherwise. Confused Casn't be arsed atm though, too cold and wet, meh.
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2012, 12:16 PM)Toms306 Wrote: done 584 miles, used 51.55 litres, which works out as 51.5mpg - which cost just over £70 for two weeks driving.

I've never understood why folk talk in miles ect then say litres...gals please

Just over 11 gals
Thanks given by:
Because I buy diesel in litres, not gallons. lol

You only have to divide by 4.54 to get gallons anyway.
Thanks given by:
Attempted to 'fix' things the Peugeot way yesterday...cable ties of course!

[Image: Cabletie009.jpg]

[Image: Cabletie010.jpg]

As you can see, the heatshields bent well out of shape though, and couldn't bend it back! Dodgy

Whilst under there also noticed the exhausts blowing at the cat slightly...great.

And now theres a loud wheel bearing bearing noise started happening! This is why I got stopped buying 306s in the first place, cuase they're always bloody broken!

Guess I better start deciding what I'm gonna replace it with in Feb, as I have no idea atm lol.
Thanks given by:
blah blah blah Big Grin
Thanks given by:
A bicycle, even then you still would moan at the poor mpg
Thanks given by:
Tom its only you that has these issues. Ive never met anyone so unlucky with 306s (even Ed!)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Lol, I am unlucky with everything though, not just cars. But I've learnt now, that whatever far I buy, the common fault with that make/model/engine WILL occur within my ownership!! Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
(30-12-2012, 09:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Lol, I am unlucky with everything though, not just cars. But I've learnt now, that whatever far I buy, the common fault with that make/model/engine WILL occur within my ownership!! Rolleyes

In which case, stop moaning and wasting money swapping cars. Stick to one, repair the little faults and maintain it as you should
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
It's just not economically viable to fix. I know I'm gonna lose more on this than I did the golf! Everything I fix or replace I might aswell throw the money away, at least newer cars hold thier value - people are still selling 10 year old mk4 pds with 150k+ for 3 grand! And if it goes tits up you get loads of money breaking a newer car, be lucky to get 500 selling or breaking this heap. It was supposed.to be a stop gap until Feb with no money spent on it, but clearly that didn't happen.
Thanks given by:
Nothing retains its value, depreciation is ridiculous - drive a car off the forecourt and you lose a few k.
At least with the 306 you can fix it cheaply, and keep a relatively decent car going.
Thanks given by:
Re: the exhaust, £3 tin of gun gum, slap it all over the place. Will hold for ages and one less thing to moan about...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 estate china blue xu7jp4 Elfyno 9 3,886 21-12-2015, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Elfyno
  306 China Estate. seanyleary 15 3,300 27-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Last Post: 7057sam
  China HDI Estate tomcannon 57 15,130 08-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Foxy-jim