205 DT sleeper - boosting video pg10 and pg11

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
205 DT sleeper - boosting video pg10 and pg11
(24-04-2013, 07:13 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: If it was dumped on my doorstep with a GOOD VNT, it would be making 180-200hp in 24 hours of work time on it, you cant fail on this and the boosted 1.8!, mtfu and get it sorted, its an xud, its never major!

Touché, well said
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 07:01 PM)sam Wrote: Shame to here it dude, I like the project not often you see a 5 door 205 with a massive blower!

thanks mate; i was looking at other cars, dreading the internals had (HG/cam) had some problems, and it would be pointless spending out the money for the repair (parts, skimming etc) than the cars worth..

.... BUT the car has boost'ish, things have been sorting themselves out, somehow, but it was driving as of 8pm today.

Lets see if tomorrow comes and it likes to keep the same Smile

lol and darren, i've put SO much into this it's unreal. Learnt a hell of a lot so wouldn't be a huge loss in that aspect, but yeh, i'm prepared to do the belt so many times, change the pump so many times before this hobby becomes my life.

but yeh, i'm still persisting, trying to find answers and being quite reassured when i hear that i'm not just being an amateur, and in fact Birk had a similar issues when he built his charged 6 dimma......
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
So started it up this morning, starts "fine" besides the constant white smoke and rough tickover - the whole car shakes vigorously. I've changed the injectors, changed the fuel pump, advanced and retarded the pump on various settings, and still little change.

I'm out of ideas for now, so for the time being, the 205 is residing to the garage until i can find any more information for this. I've tried posting on here with a few questions, and answers pointing towards injectors... So, i'm currently fairly stumped.

[Image: Kc9Yl6n.jpg]

such a shame Sad
Thanks given by:
Have you actually changed the glowplugs?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 09:19 AM)Ruan Wrote: Have you actually changed the glowplugs?

The glowies were brand new with the engine; NGK's.
but no, they technically havnt been changed since the engine was in.

Would it be worth testing/changing them?
Thanks given by:
Have you got the injector lines in the right order and timed the pump up properly? I thought the pump had been rebuilt, you sure the camplate is in correctly?

EDIT: excuse the stupid suggestion, you did say it runs right there lol. Apologies, must have left my brain out in the rain last night.

Is there any chance this could be down to sticking valves? Just thinking out loud really, loss of compression would explain the rough running and unburnt fuel (i assume that's what the white smoke is, you don't specify...)
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 09:41 AM)Poodle Wrote: Have you got the injector lines in the right order and timed the pump up properly? I thought the pump had been rebuilt, you sure the camplate is in correctly?

Yep, the lines can only go one way.. Before they start to bend and foul parts.
The pump was changed from a "dodgy" 11mm to a standard 9mm.
And the timing, I "thought" was 180 out then learnt about the fly - cam having a size differences and a 4 stroke positioning of the pistons etc.

Editedit; poodles comment
Thanks given by:
Might need a second edit there, didn't realise you were in here and did my usual trick lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I think he just needs a good run! The longest run he's been on is 35 min.
That's not long enough (I think) to wear an engine in.
Thanks given by:
Right, have you knocked each injector off and seen if it's just one cylinder causing the issues, or if it's random which cylinder is causing the misfire issues...

Just undo each injector union and see if it gets noticably worse, the one it makes little difference to is probably the one at fault... Getme?

After the 35 min running - did the idle issue clear up, or was it still there? Does it run lumpy at high idle speeds?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 09:55 AM)Ruan Wrote: Right, have you knocked each injector off and seen if it's just one cylinder causing the issues, or if it's random which cylinder is causing the misfire issues...

Just undo each injector union and see if it gets noticably worse, the one it makes little difference to is probably the one at fault... Getme?

After the 35 min running - did the idle issue clear up, or was it still there? Does it run lumpy at high idle speeds?

Ah ok, this is perfect; i've been pondering that there could possibly be AN injector at fault.

I'll get on this.

And after the run, it 'cleared' up as much as it could, as in, it was less smokey when it was being driven/underload, but when changing gear/no load/idle, it would smoke again. but the idle was better and was less lumpy ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
you running diesel or veg?
Thanks given by:
Less lumpy, or not lumpy...after 10 mins warming up, it should purr like a kitten. There is something fundamentally wrong if not.

Dump it in my yard and ill sort it out for you, but I cant come and see it to far away.

Its an XUD, it can only be a simple issue, there the most basic engines in the universe!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Does sound like possibly f*cked injector...

Is it a consistent dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun misfire or just randomly every so often it'll drop a pot out and then blow a cloud of white?
Thanks given by:
From Stephen:

Dum: running pure diesel

Darren: thank you so much for the offer! We are going to try Ruan's advice about the injector then when it's running 'well enough' then we will book a weekend to come see you!
Plus I (Eli) want to see the farm/LobbLand! Smile
Thanks given by:
(06-05-2013, 10:51 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Less lumpy, or not lumpy...after 10 mins warming up, it should purr like a kitten. There is something fundamentally wrong if not.

Dump it in my yard and ill sort it out for you, but I cant come and see it to far away.

Its an XUD, it can only be a simple issue, there the most basic engines in the universe!

Thank you so much. I might well take you up on this offer, and make a weekend of it with Eli. Need to change a split rad first.
But exactly, the engines aren't rocket science; hence i've tried anything i know could contribute to the problems.

(06-05-2013, 11:30 AM)Ruan Wrote: Does sound like possibly f*cked injector...

Is it a consistent dun-dun-dun-dun-dun-dun misfire or just randomly every so often it'll drop a pot out and then blow a cloud of white?

Every so often misfires, so when i'd be driving along, casually potting along at 10/20mph and it takes a random dum.........dum....... with the related shudder/jump of the car.
Thanks given by:
The 106 does that from time to time, usually after I've been booting it, then I boot it again and it fixes itself. Go figure.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Is the coolant system pressurizing?? Thats not injector related, sounds more fundamental... Does it get worse with ragging it or doea it get better??

Does sound quite typical of severely retarded injection timing...

How 'clattery' is it? Doea it sound like someones got a hammer on the cylinder head?

When it starts, does it quickly fire up then suddenly stop, then quickly fire up again, or does it take ages of cranking to get it to start??
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 09:03 AM)Ruan Wrote: Is the coolant system pressurizing?? Thats not injector related, sounds more fundamental... Does it get worse with ragging it or doea it get better??

The system warms up fine - NO HG failure, it' popped a hose the other day; cutting a long story short - a pipe on the block needed blanking, the blanking pipe was too short and shot out. Also used a bit of radweld to get me home, could contribue to some blocking somewhere - i've got a new, smaller RAD to fit, to accomodate for the engine. but water levels hold (well, the light doesnt come on for low water). And does what get better after 'ragging'? Not much gets better after driving, just slightly less smoke when 'cruising' but still a fairly heavy engine sound - see below

Does sound quite typical of severely retarded injection timing...

How 'clattery' is it? Doea it sound like someones got a hammer on the cylinder head?

YES; spot on sound, sounds like something is hitting the head... see above ThumbsUp

When it starts, does it quickly fire up then suddenly stop, then quickly fire up again, or does it take ages of cranking to get it to start??

I prime the fuel purely becuase it doesn't reguarly get started, then it takes a fair bit of cranking. It cuts itself if i dont keep the revs high enough for about 20-30 seconds. If i start, it woulnd't hold it's idle

Hope this information helps a bit more. Smile Thanks!
Thanks given by:
Can you post a video of it running with the the engine and then exhaust?
Thanks given by:
Yep; I have an exhaust video already. An older one (week old) but is still the same.

I'll get that on now, and get some more tomorrow. Gotta get some diesel

cancel that; the video was 'pre' injector change. the "newer" injectors have a slightly different effect on the car. I'll get some videos tomorrow afternoon ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
FAO RUAN

Thanks given by:
Cam timing.

For sure I'd say.

Somethings definitely off there - pump sounds in time, but the cam timing sounds off - that's that "poppling" from the exhaust.
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2013, 06:44 PM)Ruan Wrote: Cam timing.

For sure I'd say.

Somethings definitely off there - pump sounds in time, but the cam timing sounds off - that's that "poppling" from the exhaust.

Is there any reason/way that the cam timing would slip? i've timed it 4 times now... It's an absoloute ball ache to time up/tension because of the chassis in the 205 engine bay?

I'll time it up again soon enough ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Definitely nothing wrong with injectors at least, there's something fundamentally off with the engine timing...
Thanks given by:
If you pump the grenade while its running, does it effect it in ANY way?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(08-05-2013, 06:48 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: If you pump the grenade while its running, does it effect it in ANY way?

Never tried. I'll have a go in a sec Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-05-2013, 06:47 PM)ginge191 Wrote:
(08-05-2013, 06:44 PM)Ruan Wrote: Cam timing.

For sure I'd say.

Is there any reason/way that the cam timing would slip? i've timed it 4 times now... It's an absoloute ball ache to time up/tension because of the chassis in the 205 engine bay?

I'll time it up again soon enough ThumbsUp

Just shove the allen key in the fly and see if the cam lines up with the hole... I don't think it's slipped as such, just when the belt is put on you're leaving the slightest bit of tension the wrong side, that's ALL it can be IMO...

I'd say that's got to be cam timing related...

There's nothing wrong with the engine, the fact it runs/starts says it's not just f*cked... It's just an adjustment.
Thanks given by:
Ignore my previous comment, didnt realise the fault is identical with two different pumps...

In which case, as we have been saying all along, it can really only be timing related...do what Ruan said.
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Okey doke. I won't have time til Saturday now as it's my mothers 60th and heading back to the "island" for a few days.

I'll get on it Saturday morning and post up what i find.

Thanks for the help, hopefully get this running soon! Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  theodore the xud turbo sleeper. pugmanxud 51 8,338 22-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  205 GLD Sleeper :) Chris_90 254 63,869 02-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Last Post: cully
  Phase 1 sigma sleeper pug_dturb 3 2,153 21-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Last Post: pug_dturb