306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum

Full Version: SRowells Black Rallye
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25
I always just slice old boots off..2second job then.

Thats one heck of a rust hole...wonder how that whole "rail" is back there
common as muck now 306's rusting there now lost count the amount ive welded up in my time, some have required subframe out!
(10-02-2016, 08:02 PM)Piggy Wrote: [ -> ]I always just slice old boots off..2second job then.

Thats one heck of a rust hole...wonder how that whole "rail" is back there

I can't remember the last boot I replaced, never had a rack one fail, and usually chuck a new/good used shaft on if it's a CV boot. Will remember to just cut it next time though lol, wasted a good 10 minutes trying to pull it off.

With regards to rust, I haven't probed any further as didn't want to further weaken it any closer to the subframe. Hopefully Carl will take a picture for us once it's he's cleaned it up though, see the full extent of the damage!
Nice work tom

Me and Sam will be delivering it to 306 HQ friday,fingercrossed it gets there ok.
bad luck on the rust side of things Srowell, I have been there! The main thing at least you can get someone to weld it, as no one was really keen to touch my car! That was only to plate the floors and do a side sill and inner arch job! That was me supplying the replacement arch and sill!
Well I dropped this off with Carl Chambers on Friday evening. Thanks to Sam for coming and picking me up in his 6 and taking me back to the Saab.

[Image: IMG_20160212_204554_zpskpw4hpid.jpg]

So the current list of things for Carl to fix stands at...
Front Rust
Fit new Rad and ph3 water pipe
Cambelt & Fit Billet AUX Pulley
Raise rear beam and fit ARB plastic caps
Check and replace engine mounts
replace and align passenger side headlight
fit exhaust/fuel tank shield
Tracking
Resealing tyres and balancing
MOT

I have since however been told that the rust on the bulkhead is a fail so that also needs to go on the list. Im waiting for him to have a look at the drivers side when he does the cambelt. If that side needs doing too then it will be an engine out job. Weld, stone chip the engine bay, fit a clutch and lightened fly, fit the seam welded subframe and meyle HD wishbones before putting the engine back in.

Driving the car there have been no engine related issues. Carl said it sounded good when it arrived. We let it hit 90 and sure enough it started knocking. Carl believes that its a lifter at the cambelt end. Seeing as it only does it when hot and is otherwise sweet Im going to leave that for now.

Basically I want to get this to a nice state where I can drive it around for a bit. The bodies and OMEX can be whipped on pretty quickly and Carl has a couple of maps for bodied 6s so should be a brilliant base map.

Whilst I was there I also saw my old 1.8 engine. It finally has its gti6 and a few more naughty parts Tongue Might have to go back to the 1.8 if this gti stuff doesnt work out!
Srowell, I would have kept the 1.8 and just dropped it into this, that way you know where you stand and it would work out a little cheaper, as you had the parts.
But I can see why you are staying with the GTI engine, as its sort of a new game really.
Also its a black rallye. Its great but not the stripped out 6 I wanted. Who knows what will happen but I'm happy to puruse this for now seeing as I've only driven 30 miles in a poorly setup car with no mot.
id pop the cam cover off and see which tappet is soft, ideal time to replace it when the belt is off
Update!

Bulkhead rust....

[Image: FB_IMG_1455577059415_zpshdxevmou.jpg]
[Image: FB_IMG_1455577064375_zpsiy46cq7d.jpg]
[Image: FB_IMG_1455659780419_zpslliqrapi.jpg]

Drivers side chassis rust...

[Image: FB_IMG_1455577046005_zpsvtivltlb.jpg]
[Image: FB_IMG_1455659676989_zps8pmomrro.jpg]
[Image: FB_IMG_1455659699090_zpsxfdsvcqt.jpg]

passenger side chassis rust...

[Image: FB_IMG_1455577050812_zpsh4qlw1x0.jpg]

Looks like its coming on well! Smile
I still find it weird how rallyes rust in that place on the bulkhead. You'd think all the cars with the aircon pipes going through there would be more likely to trap water than the rallye bulkhead
Mine is getting crusty there at bulkhead...not a rallye, but ph3. Water just collects there
Yeah I've seen surface rust there on a few ph3s, never seen an actual hole before though. Guess it depends whether they're mostly parked facing up or downhill maybe!
the gti6 i broke had a big hole there Wink
Has that been welded or what?
(17-02-2016, 06:31 PM)Anton Wrote: [ -> ]Has that been welded or what?

Er.... Yes it's been welded.
Christ, makes me feel iffy about mine! Will be getting that sorted asap!

Looks good though mate! Definatley going places with this now
(17-02-2016, 10:52 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-02-2016, 06:31 PM)Anton Wrote: [ -> ]Has that been welded or what?

Er.... Yes it's been welded.

i was going to question that aswell, looks as if hes ran out of gas and forgoten your car is black aswell and not white lmao
That grey is just expanding foam isn't it? Wink
(18-02-2016, 07:01 PM)Toms306 Wrote: [ -> ]That grey is just expanding foam isn't it? Wink

chewing gum by the looks of it Big Grin
you guys are just jealous that your cars dont have this must rust.
(18-02-2016, 10:04 PM)Eeyore Wrote: [ -> ]you guys are just jealous that your cars dont have this must rust.

Pretty sure i can contend that one...
Someone said headgasket or rust so here I am...

Good to see it's being sorted though rather than just bodging or turning a blind eye to it. Suppose if it's a future investment you don't want it rotting away in front of you
Good work on the rust issues - I know my zx requires some love and attention in the undercarriage department.
Hm, interesting repair....What happened to the photos between the cutting out, and the random white gloop being applied liberally!? ALso hope more was cut out than pictured, as looking at those chassis rails, they will be fully of rust inside Tongue
(19-02-2016, 05:15 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: [ -> ]Hm, interesting repair....What happened to the photos between the cutting out, and the random white gloop being applied liberally!? ALso hope more was cut out than pictured, as looking at those chassis rails, they will be fully of rust inside Tongue

I had been wondering the same tbh...looks like kind of repairs I do on old fords to make em last another year
Spoke to Sam about the rust on this. Carls been doing this a while. I daresay he had the sense to look at what he has done. I'm yet to ever see his work so cant really add anything to constructive at the moment.

But good to see a raylle making its way back.
(19-02-2016, 07:44 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: [ -> ]Spoke to Sam about the rust on this. Carls been doing this a while. I daresay he had the sense to look at what he has done. I'm yet to ever see his work so cant really add anything to constructive at the moment.

But good to see a raylle making its way back.

Carl did mine rust place over 3 years ago il get picture of it when it's next on the ramp but put money on it being decent,he does good work.
So im fairly sure im close to getting the car back. Welding is done on the bulkhead and underneath. Radiator and battery lead replaced. Rear beam raised. Cambelt is done with billet aux pulley. Carl did find however that one of the aux pulleys was cracked so have had to replace that with a new rallye pulley kit and also the top engine mount has cracked so a bit more welding to do there. I think its just the MOT to do now along with a few other easy bits.

[attachment=26685]
Lots being done, is there much else to be done to get it track worthy?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25