Anyone tried one of these?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone tried one of these?
Android torque and this?

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewite...7906468197

Anyone heard/played with one before? Worth it or better off getting a proper one?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Is your phase 5.3 GTi6 OBDII?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Your phone doesn't generate much torque, if any.

/trollface
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 08:38 PM)Scott Wrote: Your phone doesn't generate much torque, if any.

/trollface

More than a '6 though TMI
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
I'm a newb at this diagnostic shit pellowe, is it an obdll I'm after?
Thanks given by:
GTi6's never supported OBDII fella. They use an older diagnostic system that PP2000 works with but wasn't universally compliant like OBDII. Annoying, I think multiplex Xsara VTS's WERE OBDII compliant...

So no, you don't want one of those. Well you probably do, but it won't work very well.

I should have kept my mouth shut and giggled at the "where does this plug in?" thread
Thanks given by:
Yes it will work. Depsite the fact that they wernt officially OBD2 compliant, the later ones do work with OBD2 readers.

Is it worth it? Not at all. The phone apps give bugger all read outs (even the high spec ones) and will basically just give you the readings you have on the dials in front of you and fault codes (but remember not all faults generate a code so bit useless really without sensor values)
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ahh I forgot Ed's was a phase 7
Thanks given by:
My mate with the hdi has what looks to be the exact same one in the picture and has paid the £5 or however much it was form the full app version

It gives many readouts like the scanguage actual mpg average mpg speed and so on
Even gives a readout of boost on his as well as a few others. I'll ask him when I next see him and get you a lil list of things that give a readout on his
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I thought the HDi's were officially OBDII compliant though, hence the ability to remap using the OBD port, and why the Magnetti Marelli 1AP ECU on the GTi6 had to be mapped with emulators and not "on the fly"?
Thanks given by:
Ah whatever! Lol I'll shut up then
Just thought they may have been the same
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:05 PM)4WayDiablo Wrote: Not entirely true niall

My mate with the hdi has what looks to be the exact same one in the picture and has paid the £5 or however much it was form the full app version

It gives many readouts like the scanguage actual mpg average mpg speed and so on
Even gives a readout of boost on his as well as a few others. I'll ask him when I next see him and get you a lil list of things that give a readout on his

Thats mainly a feature of the software its self and the fact the HDi ecu is more OBD compliant (although not fully)

Considering you dont own a 6, i fail to see how you can tell me its not true what readings you get with these cheap obd readers when ive used them my self on my own 6.
If you had a HDi, you may get a boost reading and mpg but thats about it extra.

pellowe, HDis are not officially OBD compliant although being a much more modern ECU than the 6, its more workable!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
So in short I can't monitor lambda voltage, Tps voltage, map sensor pressure, or anything worthwhile monitoring?
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:17 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: So in short I can't monitor lambda voltage, Tps voltage, map sensor pressure, or anything worthwhile monitoring?

No. Basically you just need a mate who is a f*cking top lad to lend you his PP in exchange for at least a cup of tea or two!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
How can a HDi ECU give you a boost reading? Theres no boost/pressure sensor is there? Also........how does it read mpg, if the HDi ECU could do mpg readouts then surely they could've built an mpg reader into the dash?

Diesels didn't have to be fully OBD copliant until 2004, theres a lot of things you cant do on a HDi that you can with a newer car, even with a decent scan tool.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:20 PM)Toms306 Wrote: How can a HDi ECU give you a boost reading? Theres no boost/pressure sensor is there? Also........how does it read mpg, if the HDi ECU could do mpg readouts then surely they could've built an mpg reader into the dash?

Diesels didn't have to be fully OBD copliant until 2004, theres a lot of things you cant do on a HDi that you can with a newer car, even with a decent scan tool.

I wasnt even sure if they did do boost. that was just what 4waydildo said.

Any 306 ecu theoretically can work out mpg considering all it needs to know is distance covered and the amount of fuel/injector timings but a lot of cars back then didnt have them anyway!
Correct, there is a lot you can do with a fully compliant car but the HDi isnt bad really!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Thats what I said and thought but it does give a boost reading and seems about right
So just assumed it must have had a sensor or something somewhere
Thanks given by:
Hmm, there was mpg meters even back on mk2 Golfs........ I guess fuel prices have only been an issue more recently though. Or VAG's just better... lol

There isn't much you can play with on the HDi tbf, it doesn't really allow many sensor tests and stuff, but it does give a lot of useful readings (MAF, TPS, RPM etc). There were all sorts of odd things you could do on the Golf with a decent scan tool (the snap on one at college) including proper sensor tests, extra info, clocks check (play with needles and warning lights lol)..............no idea what the clock test is for really, but it was fun to play with lol....
Thanks given by:
Tom in another Golf related post shocker
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:32 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Tom in another Golf related post shocker

Pfft, its a comparative of the two cars OBD capabilities, relevant to the thread. Tongue
Thanks given by:
No. It's totally irrelevant seeing as my car is not an Hdi, I don't give a shit about mpg, and I never ever want a comparison against a golf. But thanks for playing.

You shall get many many cups of tea Niall Tongue rest assured!!
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure Golf GTI's were OBDII and you could probably do something with that or something.

Golf.
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:41 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Pretty sure Golf GTI's were OBDII and you could probably do something with that or something.

Golf.

GTIs? The 115bhp slow heavy shitters? Ewwwww.....
Thanks given by:
Tom, the reason why you could do alot more with the golfs is because they were OBD complaint for the reason that OBD2 was originally a german standard and so a lot of the manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon early.

The HDi ecu you can do a fair bit with with PP2000 but seeing as its not fully obd complaint, you cant do it all from your basic obd reader. But anyway, youve managed to change the subject to golfs again!

Ed, dont bother mate. I know you always think your car is broken and therefore if you like, we can arrange a lease agreement on my PP2000 and accompanying laptop.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Hahaha! Read my mind Niall, I was going to just text you asking how much and where you got your pp from, and or if you could give me a copy for some moneys/shinies Tongue
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:51 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Hahaha! Read my mind Niall, I was going to just text you asking how much and where you got your pp from, and or if you could give me a copy for some moneys/shinies Tongue

We will talk business when i meet you on saturday
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Do you mix business with pleasure....?
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 09:53 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Do you mix business with pleasure....?

For you?

No not really.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Sadface
Thanks given by:
(10-01-2013, 10:07 PM)Ed Doe Wrote: Sadface

Oh ok, ill make an exception! (if you blow me whilst im driving your car to poodles!)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: