Fuel Filler Neck

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel Filler Neck
Has anybody had the fuel filler neck apart on both a Diesel and a Petrol 306 - it's probably the one part I've never had to f*ck with on a 306!!!

Since the Diesel nozzle is LARGER than the petrol nozzle at the pump... Is it the whole filler neck that is a different part - or is there simply a part at the top where the nozzle sits in? Looking at service box is unconclusive, there's so many different varieties on there and half the time I'm not sure if it's showing it exploded or together...

Any help would be advantageous... The idea being I CBA to replace the WHOLE fuel tank, just hoping to replace parts, so my thinking is that hopefully I can simply remove the top piece of the filler neck, replace and then just rip out the petrol lift pump and replace with the Diesel sender...

Bonza?
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Just bore it out with a hole saw...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
It's quite slim for quite a way... Was tempted just to do that...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
man up, rip out the back seats and just fill the fucker up that way. Job done
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
LOL!

Can only ever fill 1/4 of a tank at a time...
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2012, 02:11 PM)Ruan Wrote: It's quite slim for quite a way... Was tempted just to do that...

Tbf you only have to make a little of it big enough to get the diesel pump in enough...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
Thanks given by:
Yeah but cbalol...

If I'm doing it, I might as well do it properly...

I mean I've got a whole diesel tank, lines and filler neck available, so if I have to, I'll just swap the lot, but if I can get away with just changing either the filler neck or the actual part that sits under the flap - then winnar.

How much of a bastard is it to remove the filler neck?
Thanks given by:
Cant be that hard, I mean itll only be a case of unclipping it from both ends and wriggling it free
Thanks given by:
Hmm...

I just REALLY don't want to remove the whole tank... Because I know the straps are rusty as f*ck and won't come undone for SHIT...

I think it'll be a case of rip it to bits and see what happens...
Thanks given by:
Yeah leave the tank in there, silly swapping it. Just rip tear drag the petrol one out, then you can see how it comes off, then you can take the one off the derv properly
Thanks given by:
IIRC its only the flap inside the neck thats different as the flap stops the larger diesel nozzle going in.
Thanks given by:
Changing the tank and filler is actually very simple. There is 2 metal bars that hold the tank up and about 3 or 4 bolts that go through the tank into the body. Then all you need to do is undo the BFO clamp holding the neck onto the tank, take the arch liner out and pull it out. All the holds it into the body behind the cap is the rubber collar. About an hours job to swap the two.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
You can have the filler assembly off the track car if you want, it won't be going back on..
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Just use the complete filltr neck ruan? two bolts under the quarter and it connects to rubber 90 in wheel arch....
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
I've had both of them off and can't say i noticed any difference at all. Later models post 2000 use a different tank breather arrangement, as I found out to my detriment, but at the filler elbow end I could recall no difference.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  20 Ltr jerry can Fuel filler hose fell in fuel tank!!!! Bunhead5565 13 1,782 12-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Last Post: HDIkyle
  Neck and nominate Grant 23 4,843 28-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Grant