Suggestions on this noise?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suggestions on this noise?
Video 
It started last night on my way home, thought it was a split pipe or loose connection somewhere but the sound I can hear Is actually nearer the pulleys/alternator area. Plus it's still boosting to 22psi and holding.

I have uploaded 2 video's and you'll hear it better with the bonnet closed clip I've taken. To me it doesn't sound like a pulley bearing letting go but any suggestions would be great!

Also just noticed at 2.5k - 3k there's a very pronounced "whine", closest noise that I can think of would be a S/C.

Thanks

Vid 1: [Image: th_noise1_zpsdbdd80c9.jpg]

Vid 2: [Image: th_noise2_zpsb9516c6a.jpg]
Thanks given by:
From the sound (played badly on my phone) it sounds like the noise I had on the alternator tensioner when the bearing went on that. You can rule out some of the bearings if you take off the aux belt and start it up again... I would start at that to rule out any of the bearings on the cam belt
Thanks given by:
I would say alternator bearing/tensioner bearing dude
Thanks given by:
If it is the alternator bearing, is that just simply replace the alternator or can I replace bearings in it?

EDIT: Also, what's the best way to check which of the 2 bearings are shot?
Thanks given by:
Take the alternator belt off, start the engine and listen for the noise. If it's still making it the noise isn't to do with that area of the engine (obviously :-P) if the noise is gone try spinning the pulleys run by this belt and listen, when the tensioner bearing went on mine it was obvious from the noise it made...

If it is the alternator I'm not sure if you can buy more bearings for them, might be better to see if anyone has 1 going cheap on the sales pages or Ebay...
Thanks given by:
(22-12-2012, 01:49 PM)RJDubya Wrote: Take the alternator belt off, start the engine and listen for the noise. If it's still making it the noise isn't to do with that area of the engine (obviously :-P) if the noise is gone try spinning the pulleys run by this belt and listen, when the tensioner bearing went on mine it was obvious from the noise it made...

If it is the alternator I'm not sure if you can buy more bearings for them, might be better to see if anyone has 1 going cheap on the sales pages or Ebay...

Thanks for the reply. Will do as you said later. Smile
Thanks given by:
Mine has made this noise for about 3 months now, on mine it is the alternator bearings.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
Just checked without belt on and ran the engine. Clattering as usual so that's all good! Spun the alternator pulley, PAS pulley and tensioner pulley... Tensioner pulley sounds like it's grinding itself to death while alternator and PAS were smooth and quiet.

Guess that's the one I'll replace! How easy and the tensioner pulleys to replace? Looking at it (in the dark) looks like i need to remove the alternator to get it off? thanks.

EDIT: Looking on Uniparts-parts site, I see there are 2 tensioner pulleys... Which one do I need for a Ph1 w/PAS w/o AC?

http://www.unipartautomotive.co.uk/Engin...Parts.aspx
Thanks given by:
Im not sure without seeing it on the car, the 1 i replaced is part number UGCGBT6062 on the link you added, i found it easiest to remove the drivers side front wheel then its a bolt underneath to remove tension and 2 to remove the unit. Easy enough job. No need to remove the alternator or any other parts if i remember right, its a unit on its own.

I had trouble with the tensioner bolt ( on the bottom of the unit) as the threads were knackered, unfortunately the new 1 didnt come with a replacement so i struggled to get the new belt on as i couldnt relieve enough tension. When you take the old 1 off remove this completely and clean it up to make sure the threads run smoothly, you need to screw in completely to relieve the tension and unscrew to tighten the belt. Rule of thumb is that you can twist the belt about 90 degrees when tensioned enough IMO. Hope it goes well for you.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the reply. I thought it would be that one but I'll remove the old one now as I know its easy to remove and take it with me Smile

Thanks everyone for your help
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bigger turbo suggestions? Something handy found? Logue1996 8 3,507 28-07-2017, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Chris_90
  FMiC Set up suggestions please! Shaleskin 1 801 14-11-2012, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Tom