How do you get your hub nuts off..?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you get your hub nuts off..?
As the title says really, any bright ideas for getting them undone? And none of this "man up" crap, i've just ruined a 1/2" t-bar trying to get them to let go Tongue

Alternatively, is there anyone nearby that feels like bringing round some uber-anti-hub-nut piece of kit for some beer tokens..?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Front or rear?

I got the rear omes off with an extendable bar and 8stone of myself.......Fronts are on much tighter though.
Thanks given by:
Get a length of pole over the tbar for better leverage
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
impact wrench works for me............. Wink

if you don't have one of those the i'm afraid that we are back to MTFU!
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Put a 1 foot extension bar out from the socket, with your t-bar on the end. Rest the extension on a axle stand, put a 2 metre length of scaffold tubing on the t-bar and hang on the end of it!

(helps to have someone to push the t-bar in towards the car so you don't round the nut off)
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
I've got a 3/4 bar and socket with me, might be able to pop over with it to get them off if you want?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have you tried 'unstaking' it with a screwdriver. Sometimes that makes it easier once you've done that.
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Have you tried 'unstaking' it with a screwdriver. Sometimes that makes it easier once you've done that.

Nah he will be trying to undo them with the locking pin still in :roll:
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
^^^ wtf??

@ everyone who's suggesting more leverage, think you missed the bit where i f*cked up a 1/2" t-bar lol Tongue
And for your amusement:

[Image: DSC01143.jpg]

Chris, if you've got the time and inclination that would be great, you've got a text...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Err with that little thing not surprised it bent! You DO need more torque/leverage on the nut, it should come off smoothly with a long enough bar...
Thanks given by:
If the "WTF" was aimed at me I was just humouring the troll.

IMO don't use a t-bar, use a proper breaker bar, I have a 1M one that is normally enough to get off anything, either that or snap the bolt lmao
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Flynn Wrote:Have you tried 'unstaking' it with a screwdriver. Sometimes that makes it easier once you've done that.

Nah he will be trying to undo them with the locking pin still in :roll:

I think he meant the rear drum nut stake lol, rather than the stake pin. Tongue Poodle never said whether it was front or rear he was doing......
Thanks given by:
Use a breaker bar, no extension, and a scoffold tube over the breaker bar
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:I think he meant the rear drum nut stake lol, rather than the stake pin. Tongue Poodle never said whether it was front or rear he was doing......

No, really?! you think? :roll: your nearly as bad as him!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Shut up Tom, it's not the size that matters... Tongue

And yeah it's the front i'm doing, sorry.

Was aimed at mctrollerson, not you Mark. Breaker bar wasn't up to it, was flexing horribly and the nut didn't even think about moving. It's only an old 600m jobby, so not exactly up to it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:I think he meant the rear drum nut stake lol, rather than the stake pin. Tongue Poodle never said whether it was front or rear he was doing......

No, really?! you think? :roll: your nearly as bad as him!

Lol lol How did I miss the sarcasm in your post!? Nevermind, as you were lol. Doh
Thanks given by:
Poodle Wrote:Shut up Tom, it's not the size that matters... Tongue

And yeah it's the front i'm doing, sorry.

Was aimed at mctrollerson, not you Mark. Breaker bar wasn't up to it, was flexing horribly and the nut didn't even think about moving. It's only an old 600m jobby, so not exactly up to it.

Size does matter.....well thats what they all tell me anyway. Confusedhock:

Ah I haven't done fronts, but still, a long enough bar should be good enough. Smile
Thanks given by:
When we did Jakes he got his uncle to weld a 6ft "2 steel pipe onto the socket. Came off a treat :p
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:Use a breaker bar, no extension, and a scoffold tube over the breaker bar
This^^^^^^^^ and you still might have to man up! sometimes they are just stupid tight .
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Get a bigger socket set, 3/4 or 1", 1/2 is just to small
Thanks given by:
Big thanks to Chris (DTS) for sorting the wheel bolts for me, came over with the 3/4", came off easy with the bar.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
No worries man.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by: