Posts: 30
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Essex
Car Model/Spec: 306 D turbo
afternoon all,
Recently I started to notice, especially when cold, and turning left that my steering was making a loud whining noise! I've checked my power steering pump, belt and drive shaft. Also had a look at the steering column... I couldn't see anything.
Can any one suggest something I may have missed?
Thanks
Posts: 5,902
Threads: 142
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
58
Location: Hastings, East Sussex
Car Model/Spec: E46 BMW 320d
Have you got enough power steering FLUID? My work van has a leak in the rack, and when the fluid gets low enough, it starts to whine.
Posts: 1,847
Threads: 56
Joined: Feb 2012
Reputation:
19
Location: Chesterfield
Car Model/Spec: Moonstone HDi
As above, mine does the same, usually turning left more than right!
Posts: 30
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Essex
Car Model/Spec: 306 D turbo
24-11-2012, 02:53 PM
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2012, 02:54 PM by davalav.)
Isnt it funny how every one thinks the worst? I didn't even think to check the power steering fluid! When it has stopped pee'ing down with rain I'll go and check! If this is the case.... How do you flush your power steering system?
Posts: 30
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Essex
Car Model/Spec: 306 D turbo
Oh okay! Is there a specific brand that is favoured?
Posts: 5,852
Threads: 92
Joined: Dec 2011
Reputation:
43
Location: Brizzle
Car Model/Spec: Tracterrrrrrrrr
Id tell the missis to just shut up if she's whining
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
Posts: 1,847
Threads: 56
Joined: Feb 2012
Reputation:
19
Location: Chesterfield
Car Model/Spec: Moonstone HDi
24-11-2012, 03:50 PM
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2012, 03:52 PM by Oil-burner.)
I chuck anything in mate, any automatic transmission fluid will do.
Usually pay about £4-6 a bottle for it!
Edit: Connor speaks the truth!
Posts: 30
Threads: 5
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Essex
Car Model/Spec: 306 D turbo
24-11-2012, 05:29 PM
(This post was last modified: 24-11-2012, 05:30 PM by davalav.)
(24-11-2012, 03:46 PM)Connor Wrote: Id tell the missis to just shut up if she's whining
I was thinking of naming the title something rather misleading...
(24-11-2012, 03:50 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: I chuck anything in mate, any automatic transmission fluid will do.
Usually pay about £4-6 a bottle for it!
Edit: Connor speaks the truth!
Oh okay mate! I'll have some ordered on Payday!