V6 MTDI Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
V6 MTDI Project
what kind of injection system did it have originally? seems it had mechanical injectors but just a rotary pump and no rail?

got a straight six bimmer now, its got an ecu controlled bosch mechanical injection pump, so can be tuned to 175 bhp with just a chip Big Grin but I think after that would need different injectors and turbo (TD04 as standard) and a custom chip or binning the electronic stuff for a cable Big Grin
Thanks given by:
If it's a *25tds it's a VP37 pump, which is just a VE (same as the 306 Bosch) pump with an electronic lid and electronic timing control - they're Indirect Injection so it'll have pintle nozzles which are of relatively little restriction usually ~175-200bar break - unlike VCO DI nozzles which are 220bar+. With Indirects you can get away with insanely long injection lengths in comparison to DIs, which means more revs!

The V6 TDis had a VP44 injection system, which is more similar to the Lucas CAV pumps in operation with a cam ring, but it's still a distributor pump - not CR or UI... Just means that the VP44s could cope with higher break pressure injectors than the VP37s could. The VP44 is a radial distributor pump, the VP37 is an Axial distributor pump...

It's just that the VP44 is known to be one of the most unreliable injection pumps ever!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
ahh good bit of info thanks Smile tis indeed a 1994 525 Big Grin

main reasoning behind the initial stage of tuning for me is to stop it changing gear all the time as its an auto! that extra bit of torque helps loads.

though I may well stick a manual box on it anyway.
Thanks given by:
Autos in diesels unless they have valve body overrides or are designed for high torque outputs just don't seem to work... You mash your foot into the shag pile and it changes down 2 gears, makes a racket, doesn't really go anywhere, changes up again to where the high torque lies again and you actually go somewhere.

Sack it off and get a manual - those engines if given a good amount of fuel do like to rev and seem to perform well... They have a reputation for head gaskets but I've a feeling it's very much the same reputation that 306s have - i.e. incapable users.

The MSA15/EDC15 is properly easy to tune tbf, fwiw you may as well stick with the ECU as you'll find you have so much more control over the fuel quantities going in.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Heart 
(02-12-2013, 11:03 PM)Ruan Wrote: Autos in diesels unless they have valve body overrides or are designed for high torque outputs just don't seem to work... You mash your foot into the shag pile and it changes down 2 gears, makes a racket, doesn't really go anywhere, changes up again to where the high torque lies again and you actually go somewhere.

Sack it off and get a manual - those engines if given a good amount of fuel do like to rev and seem to perform well... They have a reputation for head gaskets but I've a feeling it's very much the same reputation that 306s have - i.e. incapable users.

The MSA15/EDC15 is properly easy to tune tbf, fwiw you may as well stick with the ECU as you'll find you have so much more control over the fuel quantities going in.

:O Abusing the autotrans!
Banned from the thread! even tho the mtdi vagbus is a manual lol. my autotrans hilux is the best thing ive ever owned Wink
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
You have a Hilux?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
You could be shown 100 hiluxs in a row, and I bet you could pick Darren's out of the bunch Wink
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Wheres the project thread for this Hilux then Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Lifted, smokestack, flapper, AT tyres, CB whip and 7 blowers?
Thanks given by:
(13-12-2013, 01:23 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: Lifted, smokestack, flapper, AT tyres, CB whip and 7 blowers?

dam feckin close liam!
Thanks given by:
Nah its only got a single blower at the moment, but has a stock out the bonnet, redneck modded pump / ecu and modified tranmission for manual shift!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Surf or pickup? I'd f*cking love a surf...
Thanks given by:
Wifey wants one of those. ..
Thanks given by:
Needs a thread darren...
Thanks given by:
Its a surf, its not on the road, just a farm lol, bought it for 50 quid with a "snapped belt" even tho it wasnt snapped lol
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
I hear they have those Denso pumps that handle veg like Bosch pumps...
Thanks given by:
Ok so i (well acaully chris as photo'ed) gave the motor a blast off couple nights ago to try and start from a clean starting point this time, got rid of the half inch thick lust of oil / diesel adn shit from so many head removals / turbo offs / oil leaks / bleeding injetors / coal etcetcetc... so gave it a blast off..:

[Image: IMG_20131214_153737.jpg]

Dropped the oil out the old girl

[Image: IMG_20131215_113248.jpg]

Raised-er-up

[Image: IMG_20131215_110440.jpg]

Dropped sump

[Image: IMG_20131215_132835.jpg]

Bored a hole for new turbos oil return

[Image: IMG_20131215_142347.jpg]

Tapped and fitted barb

[Image: IMG_20131215_143827.jpg]

Made a few oem modifications to the manifold:

[Image: IMG_20131215_150853.jpg]

And refitted the shizniz

[Image: IMG_20131215_144632.jpg]

Thats about all, hoping to re fit motor next weekend, altho farming may get in the way due to xmas veg, fml!!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Awesome, cant wait to see some sort of epic turbo going on Smile
Thanks given by:
hahaha! this looks fantastic.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
I love the way in your little workshop you seem to have crammed in everything a "regular garage" could do plus all the diesel stuff and all the other mad shit you do as well!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Dropped the motor back in:

[Image: IMG_20131222_140124.jpg]

James trying to hide himself, Chris getting pissey with driveshafts and me doing, well nothing Wink

[Image: IMG_20131222_145811.jpg]

Me spending a totally redicluas ammount of time putting together the most stupidly over complicated tranny shifter system ever known to man...

[Image: IMG_20131222_163311.jpg]

Fired the girl up, back it outside and dumped it in the storm, come back to that another day! Still lots of things to put back / fix, issuse with clutch cylinder and also tranny linkages arnt setup quite right, so currently have to put it in reverse to select first, and you have no second at all, all good fun, most importantly it wound up and sounded just lovely.

Cheers n gone
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(15-12-2013, 07:00 PM)Tom Wrote: I love the way in your little workshop you seem to have crammed in everything a "regular garage" could do plus all the diesel stuff and all the other mad shit you do as well!

Heh,

Im always open to donations to build myself a proper 'shop... heh

Im jsut trying to make the most of the small building i have, with the pit / tools we are able to carry out just about anything, its just far from ideal...but gets the job done for now!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
That looks like a silly complicated aux belt system on there. Mind you, its German and they never seem to do anything in the most simple way possible!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
you need a GT2559v darren! ;P

looking good though pal...nice to see progress
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
No I dont piggy, I had a third gen GTB2260VK on it already Wink
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Had.. What's on it now?
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(24-12-2013, 07:07 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: No I dont piggy, I had a third gen GTB2260VK on it already Wink

Holy cow....fair play.

Thats the exact turbo I am in search mode for!!! Epic turbo

Let me know if its just, ya know, sat there doing nothing Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Heh I have two 2260vk's sat in the shop, but sadly its going back on, so not for sale...
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
TWO?

2-1=1....which means you have another just 'sat there'. Shame for it not to be living its life as it was destined Wink
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(24-12-2013, 08:45 AM)Piggy Wrote: TWO?

2-1=1....which means you have another just 'sat there'. Shame for it not to be living its life as it was destined Wink

I'm sure it won't be just 'sat there' for long Tongue
Thanks given by: