enigne swap or tune current

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
enigne swap or tune current
Hi guys
I've be thinking for a wait to save abit of money (£500-£1000) and either

-v6 engine +5 speed box(£500 ish if not abit cheaper)

-tune my 6 lump (which as already got new cultch,rick w flywheel,new oil,filters)
with some p81 cames (circa £400)obvously the cams would have to be mapped(£250ish).

My thinking is a v6 would defo be epic,with plenty of toque(lack of engine mods abit from induction and i have heard of dp doing a turbo kit for them).Also i don t really now anyhting about them ie want ecu to use,engine mounts aswell looks a fecking pig to fit would do the cultch whlist the engines out.i do now they pull wel and have bags of torque.would be to a good if not better for track car?or would the extra weight and power be more of a hinderance?

any advice/ideas ?

thanks sam
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
for a track car, tune the '6 lump. the v6 will be shockingly heavy up front, which will kill the handling. plus i've heard that while they have a bit of torque, they arent a fun engine to drive. quite lazy.
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
406 v6? if so you will want the earlyer type engine unless you are going to run a aftermarket ecu as the later more powerfull engine is multiplex wireingSmile

Thanks given by:
What about a 406 2.0t?
[Image: A1A3B2B1-9269-463A-9F21-2ABF4CE9BEAC-165...A3B3F7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(13-11-2012, 11:20 PM)Oil-burner Wrote: What about a 406 2.0t?

Yeah I thought about that to anyone on here run one ?
Thanks given by:
I know the 2.0 turbo conversion is done a fair amount with 205s...

The V6 engine is quite lazy, and as said you'd need to get the earlier version which wasn't multiplexed. It's 198bhp if I remember correctly so it's a lot of work for not a lot more power.
Thanks given by:
And remember, an engine conversion always costs more than you first estimate
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
Ok, thanks guys I found out I can get 193 bhp from p81's and chip wiard remap so if you take into account my exhaust and viper plus the flywheel fingers crossed for 200 bhp with boring out the inlet and throttle bodie
Thanks given by:
i got a 2.0t engine at work, just no turbo on it
Thanks given by:
v6
http://youtu.be/tn3aMLRDGPI

low boost(could'nt find a standard lw video)
http://youtu.be/gKhgDFCswYE
Thanks given by:
Low boost is over-done now and they aren't rocket-ship fast for the potential headaches you could let yourself in for.

They are quick don't get me wrong - I'd have one tomorrow - but only as a second car. Jamma on here is turbocharging a GTi6, something which I find far more interesting than the S/C route and it would be very track-friendly too with the right tune. For out-and-out track work nothing really beats a stripped, caged GTi6 running cams and TB's though, should see you nudging 200bhp at the fly....
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
JP isn't turbocharging. He's going s/c route now.

Sam tune your current engine, some lairy cams decent bodies and a remap. Running with your exhaust etc you will be looking at a decent power gain Smile
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
In the way of handling.. the V6 engine is actually lighter than a 6' engine...
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(14-11-2012, 10:51 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: In the way of handling.. the V6 engine is actually lighter than a 6' engine...

I thought it was the physical size and position of the engine in the car once fitted which was more of an issue? As it hangs over the front axle...
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Physical size would be pretty irrelevant but the weight and position/angle would, i guess it would depend how it's fitted in the bay
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Go v6. Sounds cool. End of.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your current 'fleet'? Matt-Rallye 72 10,069 04-05-2016, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  Current Scrap Prices? Toms306 33 5,994 19-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  DervMafia Eddy Current Dyno Upgrade darrenjlobb 105 28,720 21-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Paul Baldwin