Current Scrap Prices?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Scrap Prices?
I know iron is worth less than paper now, but what about the stuff that used to be valuable? Motors, batteries etc?

Basically I've got a couple of knackered batteries, 2 starters and an alternator. Are batteries and motors worth enough for me to drive to the scrap yard or should I just dump them at the dump about a mile away?
Thanks given by:
prices vary so much you need to look about locally day to day.

I'd always get some cash if at all possible, the local tip will make money on the stuff you give away Wink
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
They can't vary 'that' much though? Batteries used to be around £6 each last time, are they nearer a fiver or nearer a quid is what I'm asking I guess.

I'm not out to spite the dump lol, if they make money on the rubbish I'll have to pay less council tax Wink. Plus it takes 10 minutes and 40p of fuel to go the dump and back. Takes over an hour and £1.50+ to drive to the scrap yard and back so needs to be worthwhile going lol.
Thanks given by:
£20 per tonne round here atm if you just weigh in. Its worth bugger all. We bought an entire corsa at work the other day for £60 cause it was going to scrap.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Worth sod all. Seriously.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
ive just scrapped a 02 saxo drove it too the yard got £20.00 (steel wheels) it should of been less too but they had no change lol
Thanks given by:
Any figures to go with 'sod all'?

I know whole cars are only worth £20 but they go as mixed and need to be depoll'd etc. Thought batteries and copper may have held more value? Or are the Chinese making them new for 2 pence each as well?
Thanks given by:
Nah Tom, the valuable stuff like wire, motors, batteries etc still has some value.
It's probably half to a third of what it was at peak a few years ago but bear in mind that Bash is saying iron is £20/tonne and at peak I was getting £200/tonne. so that's fallen off far further.
Thanks given by:
when i spoke to the scrap yard owner regarding low scrap prices he said they cant see the prices going up untill next summer at the earliest that why a lot around my area have started doing partworn tyres etc to make more money and most are stock pilling crushed scrap cars untill next year.
Thanks given by:
Are cats still worth the same as they were before? Just thinking about the genuine cat on the Rover?

(18-11-2015, 12:01 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Nah Tom, the valuable stuff like wire, motors, batteries etc still has some value.
It's probably half to a third of what it was at peak a few years ago but bear in mind that Bash is saying iron is £20/tonne and at peak I was getting £200/tonne. so that's fallen off far further.

Yeah I use the same yard as Bash (not much choice round here! Sad ), was £180 per tonne for iron back in 2012 when I stripped the Golf!!

If we assume the valuable stuff has dropped to a third, that's £2 per battery and about a quid for all 3 motors. A fiver definitely isn't worth going over the yard tbh.
Thanks given by:
No nothing is, it's all gone downhill.
For example Copper is less than half what it was about 5 years ago.

Realistically it's not really going to pick up much either, the surge in prices was pretty much all driven by China.
Their economy is slowing down now, it needed to otherwise it'd collapse - so it's not going to surge back up to previous levels.
Thanks given by:
Bloody foreigners... Dodgy lol
Thanks given by:
i can get £5 a battery here still as of last week Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Been wondering what to do with my old alternator. Probably just stick it on ebay
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Alternators don't sell, can't even shift a refurbed Rover one. The HDi one is probably alright but I never seem to be able to sell them, been on ebay twice and gumtree as well, always end up scrapping them as motors for a few pence but usually have other motors as well to make it worthwhile.

(18-11-2015, 12:41 PM)cully Wrote: i can get £5 a battery here still as of last week Wink

You seem to get better deals than I ever do though. Tongue
Thanks given by:
you won't get any discount on your council tax lol you'll probably find its not run by the council anyway, even if their trucks all go there.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I meant everyone would have to pay less if more was dumped, I'm not that much of a selfish, inconsiderate arse. Tongue

This one is council owned though tbf. The one near my old house wasn't, had to pay to dump stuff depending on car size...was cheaper to drive into town and use the council dump. lol Cheeky bastards even charged you to dump metal there back when scrap was worth something!
Thanks given by:
All our local dumps are run for the council by a private firm, who then contract that out to a third party.

Any metal you take there just gets flogged and lines the companies pockets.
Thanks given by:
Oh thats confusing then. This one is attached to a landfill site with council signs everywhere. Confused

But its hardly worth anything in scrap anyway, so not lining anyones pockets. lol
Thanks given by:
Cats still make good money depending on there code etc. People the buy cats only usually give a good price.
Thanks given by:
Is that for a full car? I had to give away a GTi6 I broke for parts, no one was interested in paying anything!
Thanks given by:
I get about £420 a tonne for batteries where i am but that was a long time ago, probably about 5 months ago now. I hoard batteries and weigh them in in big amounts. Need to get rid of my growing pile soon actually lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Niall even in the last 5 months the price of iron has halved and other stuff is taken a nose dive.
There won't be any point weighing anything in soon if the prices drop much further.
Thanks given by:
Citroen C5 Estate - matey offered £20.

Would of cost me to get it there, so now its just a skip until its full and until it evidently has to go.
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2015, 09:36 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Citroen C5 Estate - matey offered £20.

Would of cost me to get it there, so now its just a skip until its full and until it evidently has to go.

Is there some legal reason for at least one yard to take scrap cars even if it's free? I tried 3 yards when getting rid of the HDi shell which was mostly complete tbh, I didn't remove much heavy stuff. Two wanted to charge me £50 to collect it, the 3rd collected free of charge. It's always been free collection down here due to the distance from the yard, but I can't understand why they'd take a worthless shell now unless they HAVE to? I just thought maybe there's a legal obligation to depollute and issue destruction certificates for bigger yards?

We're thinking about breaking the Rover as the only offers have been less than offers for the wheels alone so far, but I don't want to partially strip it and then find we'll get charged for collection of the rest. Confused
Thanks given by:
(19-11-2015, 12:38 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Niall even in the last 5 months the price of iron has halved and other stuff is taken a nose dive.
There won't be any point weighing anything in soon if the prices drop much further.

Back to those rare old days about a decade ago, when you had to pay a scrap yard to take a car away, so people would sell a car for 10 quid just to get shut of it.

(19-11-2015, 09:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote:
(19-11-2015, 09:36 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Citroen C5 Estate - matey offered £20.

Would of cost me to get it there, so now its just a skip until its full and until it evidently has to go
Is there some legal reason for at least one yard to take scrap cars even if it's free?  I tried 3 yards when getting rid of the HDi shell which was mostly complete tbh, I didn't remove much heavy stuff.  Two wanted to charge me £50 to collect it, the 3rd collected free of charge.  It's always been free collection down here due to the distance from the yard, but I can't understand why they'd take a worthless shell now unless they HAVE to?  I just thought maybe there's a legal obligation to depollute and issue destruction certificates for bigger yards?

We're thinking about breaking the Rover as the only offers have been less than offers for the wheels alone so far, but I don't want to partially strip it and then find we'll get charged for collection of the rest. Confused

The only thing I can think of is maybe the yard has to process a certain number of depollute certificates a year to keep the government happy?
So maybe they're willing to collect for free just to issue a certificate??

I have no idea though??
Thanks given by:
It's just going to end up in more abandoned cars for the council to remove and more allegedly stolen ones found burnt out not far from the owners house.
Thanks given by:
Well, batteries are still worth scrapping. Motors not really.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
11 quid for a battery eh? off i go lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Nah at 28kg that'll be 2-3 batteries for £11.

IMO £400/tonne for lead batteries isn't bad at all as at peak it definitely wasn't £1k/tonne and possible wasn't even as high as £800/tonne so it hasn't even halved in price whereas I'm sure I was seeing £800/tonne or more for motors at one point.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your current 'fleet'? Matt-Rallye 72 10,076 04-05-2016, 06:08 AM
Last Post: Jonny81191
  DervMafia Eddy Current Dyno Upgrade darrenjlobb 105 28,759 21-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Paul Baldwin
  Server prices vs Desktop prices silverzx 54 11,287 23-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Last Post: procta