Article about car culture

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article about car culture
My car is what keeps me getting up in the morning, quote by Flynn.

I live in a house with 3 women and my misses. Women override everything a man does. But the one place I have to my self that they can't interfere with is my car. Without my car I'm lost. Even if it's stuck on drive on axle stands for the day.

The point of modifying is puttin your own mark on something making it stand out. Yeah you get some people that ruin it for others (chavs). But it's a way of life for some Smile.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Quite absurd that the author of the article sould cite deciding between an Ipod and an exhaust a 'tough lifestyle choice' when other people in the country are barely making ends meet. Apart from that, if you are a car enthusiast it wouldn't be a question anyway. My car is what keeps me getting up in the morning, I don't have/want/need the latest smartpad or whatever it is.
I think the analogy is more to the point that if someone has some spare cash which in the past would have gone straight on their car, there are a number of other things which come into consideration such as TVs, ipods, new phones etc.

As to the point that was made about us all being aware that 306s are shit...I understand what you're getting at, but I think it'd be more accurate to say that we're all aware that people perceive them as shit. In reality, 306s are a fantastic car for some fairly cheap motoring and are easy to fix/maintain on the whole, it's just that most people don't see it that way, and tar us with the "it's French therefore it's going to rust and the electrics will set your cat on fire" kind of attitude. Not to mention the more general attitude towards owners of modified cars.
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:
Flynn Wrote:Quite absurd that the author of the article sould cite deciding between an Ipod and an exhaust a 'tough lifestyle choice' when other people in the country are barely making ends meet. Apart from that, if you are a car enthusiast it wouldn't be a question anyway. My car is what keeps me getting up in the morning, I don't have/want/need the latest smartpad or whatever it is.
I think the analogy is more to the point that if someone has some spare cash which in the past would have gone straight on their car, there are a number of other things which come into consideration such as TVs, ipods, new phones etc.

As to the point that was made about us all being aware that 306s are shit...I understand what you're getting at, but I think it'd be more accurate to say that we're all aware that people perceive them as shit. In reality, 306s are a fantastic car for some fairly cheap motoring and are easy to fix/maintain on the whole, it's just that most people don't see it that way, and tar us with the "it's French therefore it's going to rust and the electrics will set your cat on fire" kind of attitude. Not to mention the more general attitude towards owners of modified cars.

+1
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Kezzieboy Wrote:Reminds me of certain people and forums!

I think the advantage we have on this forum, is while we all live for the 306, we understand that in the grand scheme of things, they're fairly shit. We all aspire to bigger and better things, whether it's just a small step up, or some supercar pipe-dream, for many the 306 is just a stop-gap car.

On a number of other forums, they see their particular make/model of car as the pinnacle of the automotive world, the car they always aspired to own, which makes them elitist and quick to flame any alternatives!

this! First cars too!
Thanks given by:
Whats more, you only have to have a quick browse of PistonHeads to find the rediculously snobbish attitudes that exist to anything even slightly modded. But then they are probably just a bunch of jealous middle aged business men who are slightly overweight.
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:Whats more, you only have to have a quick browse of PistonHeads to find the rediculously snobbish attitudes that exist to anything even slightly modded. But then they are probably just a bunch of jealous middle aged business men who are slightly overweight.
I've never seen that attitude directed at me on Pistonheads...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:I've never seen that attitude directed at me on Pistonheads...
Don't poke the..... what are we calling him now?
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:
THE_Liam Wrote:I've never seen that attitude directed at me on Pistonheads...
Don't poke the..... what are we calling him now?
I've got some choice words lol
Thanks given by:
Liam don't be ignorant. The attitude is not 'directed' at anyone. I know you like to call me a troll because you are intimidated by my intellect but please open your eyes here this is not for my benefit. If anyone posts a slightly modified car or asks questions about modifying there are a dozen stereotyping nonsense replies before you can even click 'refresh'. Theres been countless threads on the subject where the author of the topic has been shot down in flames completely unfairly, just look at the 'badly modified car thread' half of the entries really don't belong in there.

It is clear that PistonHeads is populated by a bunch of rich, posh, snobby, middle aged, slightly overweight, balding, frustrated and bitter businessmen who would never indulge in doing any of their own work. Hell there is a thread on there right now where someone mentions that most of the users on there haven't as much as changed a wheel.
Thanks given by:
I'm not being ignorant, and I suspect your "intellect" isn't all it's cracked up to be if you spend your evenings trolling car forums. I've been on pistonheads for a while and I genuinely haven't seen that attitude displayed by the majority. There's the odd ignorant troll like on most forums but in general they seem alright to me. I think by stereotyping them as a load of rich old men your just showing a touch of jealousy of the fact that some of them drive seriously awesome cars.
Thanks given by:
^^ more to the point Flynn, you're doing precisely what the OP article is highlighting; segregating a genre of car enthusiast....
Thanks given by:
They are segregating car enthusiasts, not us. It's they that condemn everything modified. Seriously I have been patient but they are nothing more than spoilt snobs.

THE_Liam Wrote:I'm not being ignorant, and I suspect your "intellect" isn't all it's cracked up to be if you spend your evenings trolling car forums. I've been on pistonheads for a while and I genuinely haven't seen that attitude displayed by the majority. There's the odd ignorant troll like on most forums but in general they seem alright to me. I think by stereotyping them as a load of rich old men your just showing a touch of jealousy of the fact that some of them drive seriously awesome cars.

I'm not jealous of their cars at all, I don't have much interest in upper market cars. My main interest is modifying. However I can appreciate other types of cars unlike their userbase.
Thanks given by:
Flynn Wrote:However I can appreciate other types of cars unlike their userbase.

Their userbase that doesn't dedicate itself to one car?
Thanks given by:
Didn't say it did? Stop being pretenious.
Thanks given by:
You said they can't appreciate other types of car. Pistonheads isn't for a specific car, it's for all types of car. Also, look up "pretentious" in a dictionary...
Thanks given by:
Let's not turn this into an argument, it this is an interesting thread so I don't want to have to lock it
Thanks given by:
Muthaf****r, I was on this shit like a tramp on chips, my 1st thread lock-down. Damn your forum whorage!
Thanks given by:
THE_Liam Wrote:You said they can't appreciate other types of car. Pistonheads isn't for a specific car, it's for all types of car. Also, look up "pretentious" in a dictionary...

PistonHeads is predominately about standard cars.
Thanks given by:
I'm not gonna be the one who gets a good thread locked.
Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:Muthaf****r, I was on this shit like a tramp on chips, my 1st thread lock-down. Damn your forum whorage!
|Cheeky lunchtime browse ftw
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DPF article Magenta Sunset 5 1,685 25-04-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: Martin306
  "Felt Spec" A dedicated article on the matter.. Tmcilvar 51 20,235 20-12-2014, 12:23 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Modified car article in the Guardian 306Puggy 23 5,698 30-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Last Post: 306pc