Changing a door (3dr)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing a door (3dr)
Finally replacing my passenger side door on the DTurbo as it has bothered me since I bought the car. Very good price from our very own JDMparts chap too Smile

I've done a lot on 306s over the years I've owned them but the job of swapping over an entire door is daunting. I believe this door will come complete - so just plug and play.

Now they're heavy, so I'll want assistance, right? The hinges, how are they best approached? And finally the wiring loom, which I know is weak on these as I've replaced loads, but I can't recall if it's on a multi-plug at either end or if I have to chase any of those wires back?

I know Niall done this recently so I'm hoping he will chime in *Ahem*
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I swapped the door on a mondeo to help with the weight I got a piece of 2x2 cut a v in it with a saw and placed that on a trolley jack with a couple of cable ties and put that at the far end of the door
Thanks given by:
The loom is a twist ring connector that just plugs in and tightens with a hog ring. I've swapped a few doors, it's not the most difficult of jobs, you just need to be methodical. The aforementioned tip of a piece of wood on a trolley jack is a good one if you're working by yourself, ideally you need a helper.

Alignment is pretty obvious, it's quite iterative. You could be lucky first time. Smile
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
if the door ever arrives, its quite simple. Unbolt the check strap (do not push it into the door), knock the lock ring for the loom round (easiest to use a flat head and tap it round with your palm) and then undo the bolts. Make sure someones there to bear the weight as they are heavy and will easily damage your wing if allowed to swing into it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Doors are easy as said - so far I've done 4 but a tip I will give you if you are doing it on your own is protect your paintwork with lots of masking tape around key areas such as sills/skirts
And the leading edge of the new door and the wing where it folds over as its very easy to chip or scratch the paintwork as they can be heavy as has already been mentioned but also awkward.
Thanks given by:
Not really got anything to add to this as most have covered what I would suggest (e.g. jack and block of wood) though if you'd like a hand, I'm around 25 miles from you so you're welcome to take a drive down and I'll give you a hand Smile
Thanks given by:
The hardest part of this job will be receiving the correct part...
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I did mine on my own, I just opened the window and put it on my shoulder like a bag.

But then I am a big mo-fo

Aligning it to get it to shut properly is the biggest hassle. I never got mine quite right. But it was the passenger door, so not my problem! Smile
Thanks given by:
Sounds fun.

Scott I may take you up on that offer, so you may live to regret it!

Have people had problems with this chap before then? I can vouch for him, I bought a whole bumper for my Focus after an accident with a wall, he was slow to post but this was more down to posting everything out at once, I received the item spot-on after about 10 days.

And he does have a phone number so is available if you need him too.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
he just lied to me about when he was posting my stuff. took two weeks for a master cylinder to arrive.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
No problem Chris, drop me a PM and let me know Smile
Thanks given by:
Its easier to leave the 'blocks' bolted to the car and remove the hinge bolts iirc (I think it was the 306, might not have been though!) as the alignment is still there.
Thanks given by:
Yeah 2 10mm bolts that go up through the hinges, but that doesn't mean it'll line up, as the 2 halfs of the hinges will have been aligned for 2 different cars
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have changed 3 doors front and rears and they all light up perfect by just undoing the bolts top and bottom of the hinge and lifting the door off. Leave they bodyside part of the hindge attached to the car! 10 min job
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by: