Number 9

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number 9
Lol, Tom in epic defending VW to the hilt shocker!

This reliability argument really does my tits in. In all my years of Peugeot ownership, how many dmf's have I had to replace? Oh right, yeah none. What about chocolate cams? Nope none of them either. any problems I've had have been self inflicted, like failing to skim a head or getting creative with the power tools. The xud's taken some level of abuse, the engines nearly 20 years old and it still fires up every day even with 28psi thrown at it regularly. And it was built by me with no prior experience working on either diesels or engine builds full stop. I 100% guarantee that would not happen with a PD. More complex, more to go wrong.

And finally Tom, you say the Xsi is crap and people should have just spent more and got a gti.. Why then did you get a 130? Is that not the pd equivalent of buying an Xsi..? Wink

Build quality =/= reliability.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
the PD's are still used in marine applications as are IDi's as their emissions are lower as far as i know.

i rode a bike through 2 winters most of the people off .net know that story about me and the police chase lol and that was the only transport i was allowed till i had to redo my car test. the only tiime i wimped out riding a bike through snow was when i lived in london and it snowed then iced up straight away and everything was sliding and i really didn't want to drop the ninja so i got a coach down to ramsgate that weekend. Other then that i WAS a all season rider but now i got car the car is a daily.

All the things you say about a bike it sounds like you've never been on one. Have you ever been on one? I remember many moons ago Taylon saying no bikes are dangerous and now he has a superbike too lol. The wind noise is all part of the fun and is one of the reasons i drive with my car window open most times now lol.

But i do take your points about the bad weather is one reason why my car is my daily cause getting caught out without weathers on a bike means even your boxers get soaked lol. is so not the one.
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 10:18 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Lol, Tom in epic defending VW to the hilt shocker!

This reliability argument really does my tits in. In all my years of Peugeot ownership, how many dmf's have I had to replace? Oh right, yeah none. What about chocolate cams? Nope none of them either. any problems I've had have been self inflicted, like failing to skim a head or getting creative with the power tools. The xud's taken some level of abuse, the engines nearly 20 years old and it still fires up every day even with 28psi thrown at it regularly. And it was built by me with no prior experience working on either diesels or engine builds full stop. I 100% guarantee that would not happen with a PD. More complex, more to go wrong.

And finally Tom, you say the Xsi is crap and people should have just spent more and got a gti.. Why then did you get a 130? Is that not the pd equivalent of buying an Xsi..? Wink

Build quality =/= reliability.

This is my point, I'm on my 3rd 306 and the only mechanical failures over had other than wear and tear are 2 radiators, a headgasket and a K14, and the rads can in some ways be considered wear and tear because their exposed to damage...
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
I've been using the nissens that came with my gti6 for 4 years in total, was already 3 years old when I bought the car. Still spot on tbh

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying any cars are without fault, the gti6 for example with its dodgy cambelt. It just makes me cringe that people go on about reliability when there are documented warranty issues like chocolate cams and failing dmf's. Not only did dmf's fail, they were replaced with smf's. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember such problems acknowledged with the HDI? Less advanced technology maybe but I don't remember any widespread recalls or warranty repairs?

Also with regards to the power argument, an HDI hitting 150+bhp is nearly a 50% power hike, of course clutches need changed as the standard one isnt designed for that! A pd150 hitting 180bhp is only a 20% hike in power and so much more within tolerance for standard parts. A pd150 at a comparative 225bhp though? How reliable are standard parts then? Genuine question btw...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Must say over my 3 peugeots and 4 years of motoring, only mechanical things I've HAD to replace are clutches and a heater matrix. Clutches are a perishable item like batteries so wouldn't really even include them!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Well if we're playing that game...

After owning 4 Peugeots over god-knows how many miles I've only ever had to replace 2 ICV's, one on my 1.8 Cab and the other on my GTi6. Yes, the 1.8 I had blew its' piston rings to buggery and drank oil at an alarming rate, but that was all my fault.

None of my Peugeots have let me down, so far.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 11:38 AM)c.a.r. Wrote: Well if we're playing that game...

After owning 4 Peugeots over god-knows how many miles I've only ever had to replace 2 ICV's, one on my 1.8 Cab and the other on my GTi6. Yes, the 1.8 I had blew its' piston rings to buggery and drank oil at an alarming rate, but that was all my fault.

None of my Peugeots have let me down, so far.

Oh yeah I forgot about valve guide seals lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
over my 6 pugs worse thing to happen was cambelt going. that was on project t and the cambelt was 20k miles old so i put that down to defective parts.

apart from that as i go along i change things to new makes the most sense and saves me surprises
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 10:18 AM)cwspellowe Wrote: Lol, Tom in epic defending VW to the hilt shocker!

This reliability argument really does my tits in.

Its not about defending anything. I bought a shit Golf that had had a hard life, theyre not all like it, silver one was perfect.

And as I've said numerous times in this thread, no car that I've owned has been reliable, theyre all shit cos I'm unlucky, must have broken several mirrors in my youth. But saying that, so far 2 out of 2 major breakdowns stranding me at the side of the road were caused by 306s, incidently both 1.4 TUs. Atleast the Golf had the courtesy to drive me home when that broke!

I've actually still spent more fixing 3 306s (4th had no faults, 1.8ftw!) than fixing 2 golfs! Gearbox, clutch, headgasket, brake shoes/cables, rad hoses, fan relay/coolant temp sensors, lambda sensor etc etc!! And before you say about the cams and lifters, I sold the previous ones with faults too, thats just listing what I actually spent.

And also, no, getting a PD130 instead of 150 was for reliability (which I know know is as bad as pugs) and less lag, 150s are pretty laggy bottom end...as I found out when adding the ARL turbo.
Thanks given by:
Why all the hate for the XSI? ninja I love mine....
Member of Team Rather be Gay than Ginger

[Image: Untitled.png]
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 01:56 PM)Skank_army Wrote: Why all the hate for the XSI? ninja I love mine....

they just dont get it babe
[Image: k6f9Fk]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 03:02 PM)samass Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 01:56 PM)Skank_army Wrote: Why all the hate for the XSI? ninja I love mine....

they just dont get it babe

Potaters gon' potate. Those of you that actually have 306's that is. *cough* Tongue

Thanks given by:
shup you, i still have mine!

all be it in various places, drive, graden, lounge, room... side of the m25...

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 04:48 PM)samass Wrote: shup you, i still have mine!

LAWL.... Touched a nerve did I? ah well never mind bubs, that dig wasn't aimed at you Wink aheheheheh

Thanks given by:
oh, boring! i could take you, bring it Tongue

Thanks given by:
You sir, are not ready, for this jelly Sleepy

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 04:58 PM)Skank_army Wrote:

LAWL.... Touched a nerve did I? ah well never mind bubs, that dig wasn't aimed at you Wink aheheheheh

Wait...it wasnt aimed at me was it? Tongue
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 05:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 04:58 PM)Skank_army Wrote:

Mebbe..... but you now have use of a 306 no? Tongue

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 05:08 PM)Skank_army Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 05:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 04:58 PM)Skank_army Wrote: LAWL.... Touched a nerve did I? ah well never mind bubs, that dig wasn't aimed at you Wink aheheheheh

'zactly. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 05:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 05:08 PM)Skank_army Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 05:06 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Wait...it wasnt aimed at me was it? Tongue

'zactly. Tongue

But you don't technically speaking own it..... or do you? What are you going to do with the Toyboata? Kill it with fire? Big Grin

Ill take your silence as a yes. That's what iv'e pretty much been going with all my life. Big Grin I'll be round with petrol, matches and some popcorn later.

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 05:12 PM)Skank_army Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 05:10 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(24-09-2012, 05:08 PM)Skank_army Wrote: Mebbe..... but you now have use of a 306 no? Tongue

'zactly. Tongue

But you don't technically speaking own it..... or do you? What are you going to do with the Toyboata? Kill it with fire? Big Grin

Logbooks in my name mate, well it will be in 2 weeks when I get it back....so yeah, technically I do own it. Tongue

Toyota will stay for a short while, just incase the HDi blows up tomorow or anything lol, but will eventually get sold on. Smile
Thanks given by:
wow, you two, get a room

Thanks given by:
You know you wanna join us Samass....
Thanks given by:
f*cking right! the room i was talking about, is upstairs, and its my room

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 05:23 PM)samass Wrote: f*cking right! the room i was talking about, is upstairs, and its my room

im there! Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
youre in my room?

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 05:41 PM)samass Wrote: youre in my room?

I am...waiting for you to fall asleep ninja
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
you'll be there a while...

Thanks given by:
(24-09-2012, 10:19 AM)Kwik Wrote: *SNIP* Bikes are cool *SNIP*

I'm with Kwik to be honest (paraphrased his post though 'cause lets face it, that's what he meant Smile ). Although I will admit to being a fair weather rider, don't like being wet and cold!

(24-09-2012, 01:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: And as I've said numerous times in this thread, no car that I've owned has been reliable, theyre all shit cos I'm unlucky, must have broken several mirrors in my youth. But saying that, so far 2 out of 2 major breakdowns stranding me at the side of the road were caused by 306s, incidently both 1.4 TUs. Atleast the Golf had the courtesy to drive me home when that broke!

Bit harsh to blame the cars, I think you'll find that 2 out of 2 breakdowns were caused by lack of maintenance on the car, the car really doesn't have a mind of its own you know...
[Image: 306Green5DrSig.png]
Thanks given by:
i can wait for days.....
Team Eaton

Thanks given by: